Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 1 Post By DrewT3
  • 1 Post By elvispre
  • 1 Post By printrenori
  • 1 Post By twiktor
  1.    #1  
    Welcome to fantasy land!

I am not a part of the tech world, and I do not work in corporate american, but if was writing a screen play this is how it would play out.

1. IPad is released and HP sees the Death of the PC on the wall.

2. The board wants to ditch computing and move to a higher margin business like IBM and Oracle

3. Hurd has another idea and buys palm to directly compete with Apple. (supposedly he was like Carly Fiorina and wanted to stay in the PC business)

4. Board gets ****ed and comes up with miss use of funds etc to get him booted.

5. They court Leo to be the interim CEO (heel/fall guy) for when they ditch PC's and thier other consumer products. (supposedly what he was doing at SAP)

6. Leo jet sets around the world for a year waiting for webOS to fail and feeling out the IPad situation. Cuts the support from webOS (where the flip are the big name apps) and provides misinformation (products will be shipping with in weeks blah blah blah). Touchpad is failing before the price cut and he decides to pull the switch on the PC drop.

7. First step is to cut the price on the Touchpad in an attempt clear inventory. This plan backfires because to many of them start to sell and the media starts to believe in webOS (again) and looks forward to the next products (still bashed tp).

8. Thanks the to momentum shift of webOS, and perpetual underdog status, HP's stock gets blasted the day after the PC drop.

Whats next...

9 Leo will facilitate the PC drop and then be booted from the company and blamed for everything. They are probably already courting their next CEO. The board has been planing this for the last year plus and I wonder if they had been selling their personal stock since.

That was my work of fiction...Hope ya liked it!
    Last edited by Titan078; 08/20/2011 at 12:29 PM.
    I read a post somewhere else about HP's decision to buy Palm.

It claimed that HP buying Palm had nothing to do with phones and little to do with the OS either, despite what everyone else still presumes.
    The story went that HP wanted or had been planning to get out of the smartphone arena as winCE had expired [remember when winCE was aimed at Palm another hardware generation earlier?]

Palm needed a buyer, and looked a good acquisition for Nokia giving Nokia a powerful entry brand (or re-entry, depending on how you see Nokia) and channel into North American markets in addition to the out-of-the-box shiny new smartphone software which Nokia was preparing in maemo.
    Obviously not what domestic companies wanted [remember the iProne was not yet entrenched as the choice of the cargo-cultist]

Withdrawing Palm from Nokia's survival options was one part of the strategy. In exchange HP was then permitted to extinguish its winCE hardware lines and promote WebOS until an opportunity presented itself to shutter that hardware operation.

Ultimately, the point is that WebOS failure was all pre-planned..
    Quote Originally Posted by sem102 View Post
    I read a post somewhere else about HP's decision to buy Palm.

It claimed that HP buying Palm had nothing to do with phones and little to do with the OS either, despite what everyone else still presumes.
    The story went that HP wanted or had been planning to get out of the smartphone arena as winCE had expired [remember when winCE was aimed at Palm another hardware generation earlier?]

Palm needed a buyer, and looked a good acquisition for Nokia giving Nokia a powerful entry brand (or re-entry, depending on how you see Nokia) and channel into North American markets in addition to the out-of-the-box shiny new smartphone software which Nokia was preparing in maemo.
    Obviously not what domestic companies wanted [remember the iProne was not yet entrenched as the choice of the cargo-cultist]

Withdrawing Palm from Nokia's survival options was one part of the strategy. In exchange HP was then permitted to extinguish its winCE hardware lines and promote WebOS until an opportunity presented itself to shutter that hardware operation.

Ultimately, the point is that WebOS failure was all pre-planned..
    Your story sounds like science fiction. UFO abductees are more believable.
  4.    #4  
    Figured I would stop by staples, Best Buy or Costco this morn to pick one up... corpses at staples/bestbuy and Costco straight up jacked the palet.
    Pshaw. You've got the right idea but that's barely half of the story!

Here's the truth.

Mark Hurd bought Palm so Microsoft couldn't buy Palm and had to buy Nokia. He then grabbed his secretary's **** or whatever and took a golden parachute.
    Microsoft found a better way and sent in a mole to infiltrate Nokia and make it Microsoft's slave without having to pay a cent.
    Because Microsoft and Nokia can't stand up to Apple, this eliminates WP7 from the game.
    Because of this and a grassroots #jobs4prez twitter campaign, Steve Jobs will be voted president in the election after the next one.
    At this point, HP will collapse because of the webOS acquisition, bursting the tech bubble, taking Apple with it.
    Oracle buys HP and Apple and rules tech.
    With Steve Jobs out of office, voters will look for someone else for leadership: Oracle CEO Mark Hurd.

That's right, folks.

Buying webOS was the first step of a long con by Mark Hurd designed to bring down HP and Apple and become the leader of the free world!
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Pretty good, but I think the ending should be the revelation that the entire board belonged to a secret society with Michael Dell and Steve Jobs and **** Cheney, and were only acting as puppets for an elaborate scheme by Haliburton to use Apple and Dell to steal undiscovered Chinese oilfields.
    Titan078 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    Pretty good, but I think the ending should be the revelation that the entire board belonged to a secret society with Michael Dell and Steve Jobs and **** Cheney, and were only acting as puppets for an elaborate scheme by Haliburton to use Apple and Dell to steal undiscovered Chinese oilfields.
    Could be the truth. Cause none of this craziness makes any sense.
    How about

9. HP announce "Autonomy..? Uh... No. Burgers! Burgers are where it's at. We're discontinuing that enterprise stuff and opening a chain of fast food restaurants. Hey, we could bring back that HP sauce, right?"
    Titan078 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Pshaw. You've got the right idea but that's barely half of the story!

Here's the truth.

Mark Hurd bought Palm so Microsoft couldn't buy Palm and had to buy Nokia. He then grabbed his secretary's **** or whatever and took a golden parachute.
    Microsoft found a better way and sent in a mole to infiltrate Nokia and make it Microsoft's slave without having to pay a cent.
    Because Microsoft and Nokia can't stand up to Apple, this eliminates WP7 from the game.
    Because of this and a grassroots #jobs4prez twitter campaign, Steve Jobs will be voted president in the election after the next one.
    At this point, HP will collapse because of the webOS acquisition, bursting the tech bubble, taking Apple with it.
    Oracle buys HP and Apple and rules tech.
    With Steve Jobs out of office, voters will look for someone else for leadership: Oracle CEO Mark Hurd.

That's right, folks.

Buying webOS was the first step of a long con by Mark Hurd designed to bring down HP and Apple and become the leader of the free world!
    That's barely a fourth of the story. All this is really concocted by the Illuminati to preoccupy us. Wake up folks!

...Also the Illuminati is a front group for the upcoming Martian invasion.
    dzee206 likes this.
    Dang! Our plans to invade earth have been discovered!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    LMAO! But wait... in coming months... we'll have a communication device with stones to bump messages over vast areas and a secret weapon to fight off the Ori from a different dimension.
    This has surpassed the "OMG SPRINT PRE 3!!!" (or whatever) thread as my new favorite.
  13.    #13  
    merged?
    Last edited by Titan078; 08/21/2011 at 03:16 AM.
    Know what the funniest of all things is, GuyFromNam?

THAT one could actually be close to the truth. Perhaps axing hardware was one of the things HP needed to do in order to license webOS out - HP did say a while ago that they weren't licensing it to some company that would compete with HP. Now no licensee will, because HP won't make no hardware whatsoever no more, not webOS, not Windows, not Printers, when they sell off the PSG.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Clearly it's all part of a master plan by the secret societies lead by the Freemasons and the Mayans and their diabolical cosmic connection to the known universe.

Personally I'm calling John Cusack because that sucker can drive like a superstar and can do anything when the Earths crust starts floating around and blows up a tripped out Woody Harrellson.
    dzee206 likes this.
    You guys don't quite appreciate how big Nokia is/was at the time.
    It just kept failing in NA.
    ..and them's the facts

I like the story. You guys are very quick to dismiss

Where it falls down or if that floats your boat, where it gets interesting is that it can't be worth doing just to ditch the handset division.

c'mon the story fits the facts....
    ..and it is not unusual (if possibly illegal on occasions) to take out a competitor this way.
    Last edited by sem102; 08/22/2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: grammar