Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    HP probably did reach out to Samsung, LG, and HTC beforehand to license it and they declined. HP would have never announced not fully investing in WebOS without looking for partner support.
    This is easily the least surprising bit of news all week.
    you're assuming too much, this is all boilerplate language and we have no idea yet what is happening behind the scenes.
    bradley and rubi did not know until sunday night so possibly HTC and the other phone manufacturers have not yet been approached unless Leo did it on his own (unlikely), just the washing machine and car manufacturers were probably approached up to this point.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    can someone explain me why all these phone manufacturers think that google buying moto is good news?

can't they just stop (or start charging for) licensing android to these other manufacturer overtime since they have their own hardware company now (i.e. Apple, HP or BB)?
    It doesn't matter even if Samsung and HTC were interested. The turnaround time to get new devices to market would take too long. Furthermore, how can any consumer, developer, or hardware manufacturer commit to WebOS. The way HP handled this has left a total lack of confidence in HP and their commitment to WebOS. The only chance WebOS has (if any) is if HP lets it go. Even then I fear the fat lady has sung.
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1234 View Post
    can someone explain me why all these phone manufacturers think that google buying moto is good news?

can't they just stop (or start charging for) licensing android to these other manufacturer overtime since they have their own hardware company now (i.e. Apple, HP or BB)?
    Because Motorola was about to go on the offensive enforcing patents.

Now instead of being attacked by Motorola and their 25,000 patents, those extra patents are now a part of their Android license.

So now there will be
    Pure Google Android on Motorola
    HTC Sense
    Samsung Touchwiz

And remember that Motorola has not made a phone in a decade. They have no plants. And those 19,000 people at Motorola who stood in Google's way of dealing with the phone makers directly can be removed. Does Google need a single one?

On sales of $11B, Motorola was almost to break even. From Google's perspective, Motorola would be very profitable if it did not need a billion dollar payroll. And now it is.

Two days ago HP could have at least sold webOS just as Motorola sold itself to Google for 12.5 billion.

Then yesterday HP held a funeral for for the webOS brand.

No one wants to buy a brand that was declared dead. At this point HP could still get a decent amount for the patents if they move quickly enough.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/19/2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    ...snip...
    What do you mean Motorola Mobility hasn't made a phone in a decade? Google bought them not Motorola (proper) right?
    I don't know if they're interested (I highly doubt it), but I'm sure they aren't going to tell it to you if they are.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    It doesn't matter even if Samsung and HTC were interested. The turnaround time to get new devices to market would take too long. Furthermore, how can any consumer, developer, or hardware manufacturer commit to WebOS. The way HP handled this has left a total lack of confidence in HP and their commitment to WebOS. The only chance WebOS has (if any) is if HP lets it go. Even then I fear the fat lady has sung.
    This is just a guess, but if Samsung was interested why not give them all the Pre3s as part of the deal? That way Samsung would have something to put out till their phones are ported over to WebOS.

ET
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    That would be a burden on Samsung. I imagine it would be hard to support & maintain a phone you didn't produce. Also, why support a phone which isn't going to sell.

If HP would have announced this arrangement yesterday it might have had a slim chance to work. No way now. HP's actions have made it clear they don't know what they're doing. I can't imagine Samsung or HTC taking the risk of entering into an agreement with HP after the way they've handled this. Let alone any consumers or devs. Just my opinion.
    Im pretty sure most of the Handset alliance knew that the Google-motorola Deal was happening before it was announced. why do you think all the responses were so similar. If Motorola does build hardware directly for Google the only thing it will be is a Cable ready google TV for comcast.
    yeah this dosent say anything about HTC saying specificly its not intereseted. This is just the editors opinion nothing more.

Don't ever listen to PRPRPR $lines$ $as$ $if$ $it$ $is$ $the$ $hard$ $truth$. $There$ $will$ $be$ $benefits$ $to$ $everyone$, $as$ $has$ $been$ $pointed$ $out$. $But$ $a$ $CEO$ $is$ $ALWAYS$ $going$ $to$ $say$ $this$ $sort$ $of$ $thing$.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Because Motorola was about to go on the offensive enforcing patents.
    but that's like blackmailing Google and its android partners, why would Google choose to reward this behavior?
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond.g View Post
    What do you mean Motorola Mobility hasn't made a phone in a decade? Google bought them not Motorola (proper) right?
    Motorola closed it's last cell phone plant in Harvard, IL over a decade ago.Since then Motorola smartphones have been made by Foxconn, Compal, and Inventec, and others.

As to HTC... At one time, HTC might have been interested in owning the Palm brand. After all it was HTC who made the Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Pro, etc. But today, buyers are probably more aware of the HTC brand on the EVO 4G, EVO 3D, Thunderbolt, Sensation, etc. than the Palm brand.

It used to be that Americans demanded "American" brands. Lucky Goldstar had to sell many of it's products under the Westinghouse brand. Now Westinghouose is one of LG's second tier brands.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/20/2011 at 07:29 AM.
    I think HTC didn't make Treo 600, but it doesn't really matter.
    What matters is HTC alliance with Qualcomm and webOSes apparent dependency on Qualcomms CPUs. If anybody can produce webOS phone fast it is HTC. Thing is, after PSG disintegration announcement, and declaration of webOS as unprofitable endeavor, morons @HP probably killed any chance for licensing even if HTC and others wanted webOS. Black Thursday changed everything.
    Miseleading thread title.

HTC said nothing of the sort - that is Josh T's opinion, and thats all.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    ...HTC said nothing of the sort - that is Josh T's opinion, and thats all.
    HP VP Todd Bradley already answered if webOS could partner with HTC or Samsung. They obviously had conversations about those possibilities.

VatorNews - HP reassures employees it's not dropping webOS
    "The problem is that until now, webOS has operated on Qualcomm chipsets, which could pose a problem in trying to license it to HTC or Samsung. Many potential licensees, said HP VP Todd Bradley, would likely prefer to see webOS support other chipsets, but he didn’t go into detail on who those potential licensing partners could be."
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/20/2011 at 04:24 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast