Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    "The problem is that until now, webOS has operated on Qualcomm chipsets, which could pose a problem in trying to license it to HTC or Samsung.
    HTC uses Qualcomm only.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    HTC uses Qualcomm only.
    Different command set.
    Why can't either HTC or Samsung make a phone with a chipset that is compatible with webOS? What is the big deal?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/20/2011 at 11:06 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Different command set.
    they can obtain whatever chips they need from Qualcomm in one phone call, but they probably wont we know it.
    HP VP Todd Bradley already answered if webOS could partner with HTC or Samsung. They obviously had conversations about those possibilities.

VatorNews - HP reassures employees it's not dropping webOS
    "The problem is that until now, webOS has operated on Qualcomm chipsets, which could pose a problem in trying to license it to HTC or Samsung. Many potential licensees, said HP VP Todd Bradley, would likely prefer to see webOS support other chipsets, but he didn’t go into detail on who those potential licensing partners could be."
    Still not relevant to the title of this thread:

The thread title implies that HTC said they arent interested.

That is absolutely not the case, per the article cited; Josh T. presumed this as his opinion.

This thread title needs to be changed.

And, BTW, Webos originally written for the TI OMAP chipset, even the Pre 2 with 2.2 on it has it.... so, sorry, that argument doesnt hold any water.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Didn't HP claim webOS 3.0 was a "complete re-write?"
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    And, BTW, Webos originally written for the TI OMAP chipset, even the Pre 2 with 2.2 on it has it.... so, sorry, that argument doesnt hold any water.
    RIM faced massive delays on BB7 phones because they switched from Marvell chips to Qualcomm chips --- even though both are ARM chips.

Honeycomb is nVidia Tegra 2 only initially. Windows Mobile is going to be Qualcomm only initially.

A lot of the programming is hard coded to specific chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Didn't HP claim webOS 3.0 was a "complete re-write?"
    For Enyo, not CPU optimzation.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    RIM faced massive delays on BB7 phones because they switched from Marvell chips to Qualcomm chips --- even though both are ARM chips.

Honeycomb is nVidia Tegra 2 only initially. Windows Mobile is going to be Qualcomm only initially.

A lot of the programming is hard coded to specific chips.
    That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

I can see LCGuy's point. We wouldn't want someone to get the wrong impression and assume webOS is dead or anything.
    lol knowing leo he probably DID do it on his own that *******. -_- I really hope we can hook Samsung or HTC. I want a new webOS phone on sprint NOW!

Edit: LG makes decent phones too or at least they did. I wouldn't mind seeing what they could come up with.

-Toaster
    Just to prove my point, here is yet another theory, from a source supposedly based on information from an insider at HP:

Insiders say there is one company looking at the HP PC line | SemiAccurate

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I can see LCGuy's point. We wouldn't want someone to get the wrong impression and assume webOS is dead or anything.
    HP is saying it isn't, but, they also said that they were going to "double down" on WebOS, so, we have to take that with a grain of salt.

What I DO know, absolutely, is that 25% share price drop is huge, and investors will not be happy if it continues, and LA and the BOD would have to have IQ's in the lower teens to not see that, and protect themselves, so, I would speculate that as they did say, more details within the next two weeks will probably put lots of clarity out there for the finaincal markets and WebOS users around the world, which, has and will continue to grow as long as their are TP's at these prices to last.

Based on my post above, which, honestly, does jive with my own theory, we wont be seeing a Pre 3 hardware release, becaause that would compete theoretically with what a *suitor* will be producing fairly quickly.

HTC, however, is stil in the game as far as I'm concerned, and could be the "one" as well, depsite the misrepresentation of the title of this thread relative to the article by Josh T..

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    HP's share price drop has NOTHING to do with WebOS. It has to do with Wall Street thinking that HP overpaid Autonomy.
    HP's share price drop has NOTHING to do with WebOS. It has to do with Wall Street thinking that HP overpaid Autonomy.
    I agree that webos probably doesn't have much to do with a 20% loss for HP shares.
    But the fact that the +1 PC maker in the world gets rid of its *profitable* PC business and then also manages to fumble the announcement is probably the main reason that the shares took a big hit.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Your comment is stated as a fact, yet, unless you have an inside track on the Street, and LOTS of investing/trading experience to go along with it, is just as meaningless as amyone else's.

I could debate your contention, but that's way off topic in this forum, so lets just say feel free to think what you like, just stop preaching it like its fact, because, you will not be able prove it, ok?

Once again, the title of this thread is incredibly misleading, and a gross misrepresentation of the article and the interview it was based on.

I didn't really see anywhere in that article where Chou said he wasn't interested. Granted, Joshua Topolsky is one of the most respected guys in Tech news and he's pretty smart when it comes to interpreting what people say.

No one can predict anything, given HP's complete surprise that it would not make any more webOS hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    LCGuy likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Your comment is stated as a fact, yet, unless you have an inside track on the Street, and LOTS of investing/trading experience to go along with it, is just as meaningless as amyone else's.

I could debate your contention, but that's way off topic in this forum, so lets just say feel free to think what you like, just stop preaching it like its fact, because, you will not be able prove it, ok?

Once again, the title of this thread is incredibly misleading, and a gross misrepresentation of the article and the interview it was based on.
    HP's market cap shrank 10x more than whatever the amount of write-downs/operating losses that WebOS division had in the last year.

Don't keep getting into the discussion if you think it's off-topic. You are not a mod. Guy A talks to Guy B --- and you get into the discussion by FIRST saying that it's not on topic, then immediately insert your own view on the topic. Guy C talks to Guy D --- and you get into the discussion by FIRST saying that it's not on topic, then immediately insert your own view on the topic. Rinse and repeat.
    Just to prove my point, here is yet another theory, from a source supposedly based on information from an insider at HP:

Insiders say there is one company looking at the HP PC line | SemiAccurate
    I love this quote from that article:

The whole debacle was messaged in a way that would make PRPRPR $people$ $very$ $happy$, $as$ $long$ $as$ $they$ $were$ $working$ $for$ $an$ $HP$ $competitor$.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    This is just a guess, but if Samsung was interested why not give them all the Pre3s as part of the deal? That way Samsung would have something to put out till their phones are ported over to WebOS.

ET
    Agreed. All Samsung has to do is to replace the HP logo with their Samsung logo. This would be a temporary solution and allow consumers to purchase the new Samsung Pre3 ASAP. The new revenue stream would allow Samsung to manufacture new product lines for the Pre with different form factors that makes everyone happy about the resurgence of webOS via Samsung. Yes!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast