Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By OrionAntares#CB
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 1 Post By C-Note
  1.    #1  
    HP CEO: 'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business' - June 2, 2010

Hurd reportedly said that HP isn't going to 'spend billions of dollars trying to get into the smartphone business; that doesn't in any way make any sense.'

To add insult to smartphone injury, Hurd continued 'We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well.'

-------------

I woke up this morning remembering those words...

Dieter Bohn concluded that article saying: "Maybe the reason Hurd's message isn't 'resonating' is because the idea of HP abandoning webOS smartphones is so off-key that people don't want to hear it?"
    That was a perfectly acceptable statement if they had stuck to it and actually stared licensing webOS to smartphone manufacturers. They didn't do either of those, they instead went back on that statement and actually tried making smartphones instead.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    That was a perfectly acceptable statement if they had stuck to it and actually stared licensing webOS to smartphone manufacturers. They didn't do either of those, they instead went back on that statement and actually tried making smartphones instead.
    That is exactly right. HTC had made the Treo 600 and Treo 650 and a number of other Palm phones. Asus had made at least two. HP and Palm had never made their own phones so why not let the people who actually make phones, make the phones?

A webOS license would have not only given them an OS but protection from patent infringement lawsuits.

The patent protection is really what Palm had to offer that even Google did not have.
    The question is, what did they spend billions for if not for smartphones? Does anyone care what OS is on a printer? They obviously didn't spend the money to build a decent tablet.

And the concept of putting webOS on the desktop was stupid when I first heard it and it even more stupid now. Especially now since they are bailing out of the PC market. Do they think Dell is going to help them out in that goal? Or maybe Microsoft?

So they spent billions for nothing.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    The question is, what did they spend billions for if not for smartphones? Does anyone care what OS is on a printer? They obviously didn't spend the money to build a decent tablet.

And the concept of putting webOS on the desktop was stupid when I first heard it and it even more stupid now. Especially now since they are bailing out of the PC market. Do they think Dell is going to help them out in that goal? Or maybe Microsoft?

So they spent billions for nothing.
    They were already planning on an Android tablet before they bought Palm. WebOS replaced Android in that respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    They were already planning on an Android tablet before they bought Palm. WebOS replaced Android in that respect.
    So they spent "billions" to get a mobile OS to take the place of a free OS and then don't do jack with it?
    They bought it to scrap it a few months down the road so their stock price will tank. I see how it is.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...rket-flat.html
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    Seems like HP is not in any position to stay afloat. Already HP stock has plummeted 23% in less than a day and is still spiraling downward:

HP Shares Fall 23 Percent in Friday Trading
    The Pre 3/ Touchpad = the Microsoft Kin
    Didn't Apotheker work for a company named SAP (I'll resist the obvious pun). How did he do for shareholders there? Just askin'

C
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Didn't Apotheker work for a company named SAP (I'll resist the obvious pun). How did he do for shareholders there? Just askin'

C
    According to the link above, he left "in a hurry" amid "investor concern"...
    I don't believe for one minute what Hurd is quoted in saying. HP pushed out phones to all it's employees, not when their current phones died but rather all at once. Think of the cost to replace working phones across the board with new phones and then a plan to support those phones for the next few years.

On top of that, pay developers to develop sales and services apps for the employees to use.

Either it was a stupid comment, a comment to hurt HP, or absolutely false.
    They didn't bought Palm for a reason.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by diamond.g View Post
    According to the link above, he left "in a hurry" amid "investor concern"...
    How can I get a gig trashing major corporations, and then get a multimillion dollar payout to leave? I'll only do it one time, I don't need much to live on.