Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 6tr6tr
  • 1 Post By LCGuy
  • 2 Post By dj ozone
  • 1 Post By OrionAntares#CB
  • 1 Post By 6tr6tr
  1.    #1  
    Here's what's weird about this whole thing: it's VERY clear that other than a few people at the top with Leo Apotheker, NO ONE inside HP knew this was happening. No one at WebOS/HP-Palm knew it was happening, not even the execs at the top and certainly not in other offices.
    • In France at HP-France, they JUST announced, OFFICIALLY, they are selling a new, faster, white version of the Touchpad...ONE day before the announcement.

• In Australia, they started selling the Touchpad ON MONDAY (just 3 days before the announcement) in the largest retail store in Australia (they've since announced they're stopping sales).

• Judging by the internal meeting at HP-Palm, even Dewitt and Bradley had no idea.

• There's no plan for what to do with WebOS in place.

• Just a TWO days ago, the Pre3 went on sale in Europe!

• AT&T found out about HP's plans to drop webOS device development the same as us!

Either this was a complete lack of communication by Apotheker with his company executives, or he made the decision on a whim just yesterday. Either way, that's a horrible way to run a company. It wasn't just consumers and developers who were blindsided, it's clear that the entire COMPANY was blindsided by this decision. I can't think of another company this large where that happened.
    Last edited by 6tr6tr; 08/19/2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added AT&T comment
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Here's what's weird about this whole thing: it's VERY clear that other than a few people at the top with Leo Apotheker, NO ONE inside HP knew this was happening. No one at WebOS/HP-Palm knew it was happening, not even the execs at the top and certainly not in other offices.
    • In France at HP-France, they JUST announced, OFFICIALLY, they are selling a new, faster, white version of the Touchpad...ONE day before the announcement.

• In Australia, they started selling the Touchpad ON MONDAY (just 3 days before the announcement) in the largest retail store in Australia.

• Judging by the internal meeting at HP-Palm, even Dewitt had no idea.

• Just a TWO days ago, the Pre3 went on sale in Europe!

Either this was a complete lack of communication by Apotheker with his company executives, or he made the decision on a whim just yesterday. Either way, that's a horrible way to run a company. It wasn't just consumers and developers who were blindsided, it's clear that the entire COMPANY was blindsided by this decision. I can't think of another company this large where that happened.
    Absolutely agree. If it sucks being an end-user, imagine being a PSG employee. Not just strange management--heartless too.
    Well, he did meantion in the press release that the decision was 100% on him.

Guess we can take that to mean whatever we want. Apparently shareholders took it as a sign to start liquidating....
    This is what I was saying - sheer stuidity and inept management.

The current HP stock price tends to agree with my opinion, as well.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

cnote1287 likes this.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Betcha Leo is thinking to get his 1.2 B smackers back by selling Palm's patent portfolio........ Apotheker mite have to take his own medicine and will not like the taste of it.
    I'm sure HP ****ed of it's major retail "partners" with this one as well.

Anyway, with the ineptitude we've seen from HPalm the last half year it's not a suprise either. Whom besides Ruby, Kerris & Leo + their kidz and the faithful were going for pre3/touchpad?.... not a lot it seems.

Wonder what happens with all that stuff in the pipeline and in stores.

I'll run my Pre- into the ground and on to Android it is
    Leo might be losing it...It can happen to anyone once they get up in age we have all had that elderly family member or neighbor who all of a sudden goes loony...
    darkzone and laoh like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post

Well, here's hoping modders add enough of the webOS features to make it worth it soon then!
    It's not weird at all. 90% of the population at HP never knows what going to be anounced to the public before it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo.geek View Post
    It's not weird at all. 90% of the population at HP never knows what going to be anounced to the public before it happens.
    I'd imagine since it's so large. I believe the issue is that most of that other 10% didn't seem to know either...
    taxi likes this.
  10.    #10  
    I'm not talking about the 90%, I'm talking about the executives at the top of WebOS. None of them knew. And why did HP officially announce a new Touchpad just a day before the announcement?! This IS strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Well, here's hoping modders add enough of the webOS features to make it worth it soon then!
    Modders can only do so much that will keep us going on life support one drip at a time... and that's all on the software side. Hardware is just a piece of you know what and it's on the verge of giving out altogether for many people, like it or not.
    Um, I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that only 15 people know - LA, his secretary and the HP BOD, and that's it.

This was, IMO, beyond imcompetent, at any corporate level.

If I were an HP stockholder (es[pecially an institutional investor), I'd be first in line for a class action suit, based on the fact that they publically stated how deep their committment was to enter into the mobile device market, and, with no notice, completely did a 180, causing, in 1 single day, almost 25% of a devaluation of the company in the markets.

This is NOT "maximizing shareholder value" by any stretch of the imagination.. in fact, he just single handedly ruined the 100 year old reputation HP had, in about 45 minutes online.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

13.    #13  
    What's dumb about it is to do so publicly without a plan in place! That's just ridiculous.
    viper151 likes this.
    He's very, very incompetent. webOS as a licensing deal might work, but this guy is still terrible at his job.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    What's dumb about it is to do so publicly without a plan in place! That's just ridiculous.
    True Story.
    You don't just announce that in 12-18 months the PC dep will be either closed or sold or I do not even know what. Do Leo expect that in 1the next 12-18 everyone will run to buy HP devices? And who would trust HP again? If I had a business I wouldn't trust them. They might ditch me. They have to be very good at what they do in order to work with them.
    This announcement was stupid. They shouldn't even say that they are closing the PSG department. For them not for us. Because for us it's a good thing they mentioned it. At least we know what to expect. But for a company with 40billion profit on pc, you don't say these things.

I hope Leo has a plan because the next 12 months PSG will not even be profitable. That's for sure. HP will lose even more money than supporting properly webOS and making touchpad 2.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    And who would trust HP again? If I had a business I wouldn't trust them. They might ditch me.
    So true! It's crazy, because who would do business with a company where your profitability is dependent on a company that not only quit on something they spent a few billion, but actually said:

* The Tablet effect is real and is ruining their laptop/desktop PC business

* They're getting out of the tablet business

He said that in the earnings call!!
    I'm pretty sure in 12 - 18 months Leo will no longer be the CEO. They should have never even brought him on board. They should have made Todd Bradley CEO instead. Watching this fallout was ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post
    Betcha Leo is thinking to get his 1.2 B smackers back by selling Palm's patent portfolio........ Apotheker mite have to take his own medicine and will not like the taste of it.
    I'm sure HP ****ed of it's major retail "partners" with this one as well.

Anyway, with the ineptitude we've seen from HPalm the last half year it's not a suprise either. Whom besides Ruby, Kerris & Leo + their kidz and the faithful were going for pre3/touchpad?.... not a lot it seems.

Wonder what happens with all that stuff in the pipeline and in stores.

Very good point. HP traditionally has good retailer relationships, and this is just burning bridges. If his venture into being a "enterprise only" business doesn't work, HP will have to start from scratch again.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  19.    #19  
    Now when I hear Dewitt or Bradley on TV talking about what HP is going to do with WebOS, etc, all I can think is, "You didn't even know it was going to happen. Why are people going to believe what you say? How do we know Leo isn't going to blindside you again?"