Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Yupper...Amiga 4000 owner and still have it. It's a shame the money barons for Commodore did have the balls to continue Amiga OS, which for its day rocked! Loved my old system and had some great times on those units.

Yes it is very similar to HP and webOS, kind of came out of the dark and no one was expecting it. What's interesting is someone (Encom (Escom) and Gateway) tried to buy into the platform and bring it back, but it faltered in less then a year.

Hopefully webOS doesn't fall from the same plight. Sorli...
    A-EON Technology Click ze boing ball for info/spiel/news

and

AmigaOne X1000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

It was delayed as the newly resurected scam??? Commodore USA kept trying to steal back the tech and taking hyperion/etc to court to attempt to claw back wsomething they no longer own, their still trying to claw back the name "Amiga" however ratehr than "AmigaOS".

and way more, im still waiting...
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    never had an amiga, but I still want an amiga 500 and one of them genlock things
    As an Amiga user I know how it feels to be on top of the game when every developer floods your system with games (read apps), good ones and crap. Felt similar like being on the iphone/ipad nowadays.

I also know what it feels like when they discounted the amiga 1200 short after so much that I couldn't pass by and it replaced my beloved 500.

I also know what it feels like when soon after the flood of new programs starts dwindling and OS and IP is being sold off.

Amiga OS is still alive in some sort and form decades after.

So, I had no issues buying now (read after the announcement) into WebOS because I wanted a tablet that does everything better than others what I need it for and I'm certain that I'll be seeing WebOS in some sort and form on future devices.
    It's been feeling like another Amiga situation for some time now. I always seem attracted to the groundbreaking technology that's tethered to ****-poor management. Webos is now in the shuffled from company to company phase just like Amiga was after Commodore's bankruptcy. Very sad..
    Owned (still do, haven't booted it in years) an Amiga 500 with an A501 expansion hard drive (all of 5MB!) from GVP (Great Valley Products). Upgraded AmigaOS, added the mod to allow a VGA monitor to be used.

Similarities between what's happening with webOS and AmigaOS -

o An o/s that was far superior to anything else out there (Macs were still toys, Windows 3.1 was dreadful with autoexec.bat, IRQs, config.sys hacks to get it to run) where AmigaOS multitasked in as little as 512KB and graphics and stereo sound just worked.

o A loyal, almost cult-like fanbase and developer community (recall the Fred Fish disks),

o No advertising (only via word of mouth, perhaps there was one Commodore Amiga commercial),

o Very few commercial apps available for it.

o Always those thoughts of what might have been had a company like Apple picked up the Amiga rather than Commodore....

And when the Amiga died and I was forced to move on a piece of me died with it.

Yep, this is AmigaOS all over again.
    Was I the only person who had an Amiga 600??
    Had Amiga 500 and I still have an Amiga 4000. What a wonderfully computer/OS... And yes what is happening with WebOS is reminding me those days...
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post
    You can't help but notice some similarities between webOS and the way the Amiga panned out. They both were way ahead of their time but had hardware which upon release was always one step behind, and both lacked industry standard applications. The two platforms also both had a hardcore fan following filling in the gaps in commercial software.

So the point of this post? Well, a hardcore userbase still keeps the Amiga going on modern hardware so don't assume that webOS will vanish overnight, additionally don't expect any future owners of the platform to bring it to the forefront again; webOS has lost and that has nothing to do with the technology but is wholly done to poor marketing.
    i tot it is more closer to the short lived Texas Instrument TI-1000 which i have. the cartridges were older version of SD cards.
    I still have an A500 and an A4000 in a tower. Great stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by gavdempsey View Post
    Was I the only person who had an Amiga 600??
    Nope - I had an A600 and loved it. It's pretty much where I started my serious game and app development; until then I had coded simple games for 8bit machines like the Amstrad CPC.

Back to the Amiga - who can forget the likes of Alien Breed, Lemmings and a million and one other games - commercial, shareware and PDROM. Then Doom came out on pc. That game alone killed the Amiga :P
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Never went the Amiga route, but I do still have in the basement the following:

Atari 400
    Atari 800XL w/ Atari 1010 cassette tape drive
    Commodore 64
    Emerson (yes, the people that make toasters) 386SX 16MHz
    NES w/ Power Pad

and...

3DO.

Any of you guys that had the 3DO remember Way of the Warrior? That game kicked so much *** with its White Zombie soundtrack and cheesy actors.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I started with a Amiga 500 with a Bodega Bay and dreamed of getting a video toaster. I installed a GVP hard card with a 10 Mb SCSI hard drive and thought I was really cool. I used Impulse Imagine and Caligari 3d software to render shiny balls on checkered floors. Those were the days

I then bought a Amiga 3000 and like many of you, I watched Commodore screw up left and right killing THE best operating system of it's time so I finally gave it away.

I now have a day 1 pre- that is dying. I'm getting tired of picking a format that is better but dies due to no or bad marketing or misinformed people.

As I write this I'm not sure which way I want to go. I had an EVO for awhile and disliked it and Apple seems to closed as a system. I am thinking of Win 7 but all I really want is webos to live on. Technology sucks sometimes.

BTW I also had a Beta hifi, and a Pioneer laser disk. I never learn.
    I had the original Amiga 1000, 2000, A4000 and A1200...

Unfortunately, the Commodore legacy as a gaming machine haunted the Amiga line until the end of Commodore. Such a shame!!!
    Palm III --> Palm IIIx --> HandEra 330 --> Palm T|T3 --> HP TouchPad 32G
    Agree totally as an A500 owner.

It annoys me how well Apple Macs are doing these days. Back in the 80s, it was the amiga that had the hardware accelerated pre-emptive multitasking OS. I'll never forget how disappointed I was seeing the supposedly wonderful Mac of the time rendering a DTP page unbearably slowly - the Miggy just made it look stupid.

To me, these are the the three great tech products that were failed only by shocking management:

Amiga
    Psion series 3 and especially series 5
    webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I'm also an old Amigan Feels VERY familiar indeed.
    I was also a BeOS fan, which went a similar route (even more on a sideline), which ironically was killed by Palm

But I don't want my gadgets to be something exotic with just a select set of developers behind it. So I guess I will change platforms when the Touchpad momentum has died completely.

So Ruby is the Jim Collas (Gateway) of webOS
    I don't think that Amiga had behind the times hardware; on the contrary, they were far advanced. When macs were 2-bit black and white the Amiga had 32 colour animations. At the end when super VGA was out for dos Biden, yes, the custom chipset could not keep up.

I used Amiga for 12 years. I also own an actual BeBox dual PPC 603.

I have two Amiga deathwatch T-shirts.

the problem now, with cloud services being such an integral part of modern devices, is that the infrastructure for the cloud has to be continued and paid for.

when no one will maintain the palm profile it will not be possible to continue enthusiast upkeep of a platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I'm also an old Amigan Feels VERY familiar indeed.
    I was also a BeOS fan, which went a similar route (even more on a sideline), which ironically was killed by Palm

But I don't want my gadgets to be something exotic with just a select set of developers behind it. So I guess I will change platforms when the Touchpad momentum has died completely.

So Ruby is the Jim Collas (Gateway) of webOS
    I don't think that Amiga had behind the times hardware; on the contrary, they were far advanced. When macs were 2-bit black and white the Amiga had 32 colour animations. At the end when super VGA was out for dos Boxen, yes, the custom chipset could not keep up.

I used Amiga for 12 years. I also own an actual BeBox dual PPC 603.

I have two Amiga deathwatch T-shirts.

the problem now, with cloud services being such an integral part of modern devices, is that the infrastructure for the cloud has to be continued and paid for.

when no one will maintain the palm profile it will not be possible to continue enthusiast upkeep of a platform.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12