Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if I understood HP's announcement of "shutting down operations". Does this mean no more new apps and no more system updates effective immediately? So document editting forever? No more pivot?
    No, they may continue maintaining the software if they begin licensing it. It means no more HP branded devices for sure -- the future of the OS on the other hand is uncertain.
    its dead
    I found new apps for the palm Centro last spring. Devs who are fans will probably continue support.
    Its dead, no one will make apps for a dead OS. Unfortunate.
    It means no matter how you felt about the rate of apps *before* this announcement, you will certainly be less happy with said rate *after* this announcement.
    sdguy101 likes this.
    I like it. As apple mac user I never liked or wanted anything from HP, even printers.

I hope they will licence WebOS and that will be great thing. Damn you HP, I never thought you were company to respect!
    I think the flow of apps is absolutely dead through official channels. But I think webOS has enough grassroots support from the right type of people and homebrew developers will keep releasing the occasional interesting app or patch.
    SnotBoogie and fxspec06 like this.
    I'm going to disagree. It is not dead.

Yet.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Besides, who needs apps when the TouchPad supports Flash?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Besides, who needs apps when the TouchPad supports Flash?
    The flash implementation is Okay at best. Google Music, for instance, works like ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    I'm not sure if I understood HP's announcement of "shutting down operations". Does this mean no more new apps and no more system updates effective immediately? So document editting forever? No more pivot?
    Evreyone Here is just saying Their Own Opinions atm. We wont know for sure Until HP Says what they have to say. Atm Its not Dead but Things Arent Looking Good. All we know for sure is that HP wont be making webOS Devices anymore. Thats it.
    The Flash thing was a joke. Sorry. Bad timing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    Does it mean 100% certainty that apps and system updates will end immediately. Easy answer...NO.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    I'm going to disagree. It is not dead.

Yet.
    It's just coughing up a lot of blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by HorsexD View Post
    All we know for sure is that HP wont be making webOS Devices anymore. Thats it.
    EXACTLY.

Simple Bible for enyo is almost done. It will be finished and released. Peolpe will still have their tablets for 1-3 yrs and phones for another 1-2 years. They will need apps.
    The information that was given on the earnings call was that hardware operations would shut down by the end of the year (not sure what end of FY is). According to Stephen DeWitt, webOS is not going anywhere. So I don't think we have to worry about a short term shutdown, but the long term outlook is unclear.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    The information that was given on the earnings call was that hardware operations would shut down by the end of the year (not sure what end of FY is). According to Stephen DeWitt, webOS is not going anywhere. So I don't think we have to worry about a short term shutdown, but the long term outlook is unclear.
    and...to be fair...the long term outlook has never been really completely clear.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Hopefully they will not shut down the App Catalog, especially if they plan on still keeping WebOS around in some form. As far as future development, this announcement likely killed the motivation for most developers. There is little to no future for making money in the webOS market in the foreseeable future. What will be left are the enthusiasts...
    WebOS Devices: Palm Pre-, HP Touchpad
    Android: HTC G1, HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    It's just coughing up a lot of blood.
    I think I see some coming out the ears, as well. The TP will work, even if the profile servers are shut down, with the help of webosinternals. There will probably be more apps, but they will release at a pace that wouldn't qualify as even a trickle, if I had to guess. I don't care what they have said about continuing software development, if you think otherwise you are blind.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast