Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree35Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that you didn't ask a question about it, so you should

-- Rod
    LOL, I'm with you, just trying to keep some positive attitude around here.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I guess this is everyone's worry - what can Pre smartphone like myself and new TouchPad owners do to continue using webOS software if resets become necessary?

I don't expect webOS and profiles to go away anytime soon, but better off safe then sorry and I'd love to know how I can backup my apps and restore after needing a webOS Doctor rebuild.

Either way, appreciate the help and thanks for all the Homebrew support! Sorli...
    I am guessing Rod/Webosinternals have something planned if that becomes necessary. I will say there is currently a way to do this with not too much work. I will not post about it because especially right now, I will not post anything that could help someone bootleg from our loved devs (not saying that's you sorli).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And yet, there have already been developers stating exactly that.
    I know, I know, you don't want to accept that, but they've said so. I won't even address the possibility of "moving on".
    While you may be correct about the "mom and pop" type software development shops -- but what about the ones that make the apps the EVERYONE would want: document editing and such. Sure we have developers who are in love with the platform and will continue to develop and update apps. But I think we have to admit that the likelyhood of someone picking up the hardware end of webOS devices is VERY unlikely.

If HP had a hardware manufacturer even remotely close to picking up webOS devices they would have withheld this announcement until that deal was done. Announcing that hardware is dead without someone to pick it up makes it even MORE unattractive to those who might have been interested.

Even if someone swoops in and picks this up today, you will have at LEAST a six month wait for devices. Someone like HTC or Samsung is not just going to pick up existing production and slap their name on the back of it. Why not? Just ask HP how well that worked for them to remove Palm and slap HP onto the Pre 2 and Pre 3.
    Here's a sample of plans from a long time webOS developer Zhephree | webOS is Dead! Long(?) Live webOS!
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    So can the Pre3 run on AT&T? It should right?

One good thing is the price should be real reasonable soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If the EU Pre3 can run on AT&T, I will be buying one sooner or later. If they don't release the US version.
    As long as it is quad band 3G it should work with AT&T 3G with just a simple SIM swap. Baring that it would work otherwise, but only on EDGE.
    Here's a sample of plans from a long time webOS developer Zhephree | webOS is Dead! Long(?) Live webOS!
    There will be a few small developers that might stay, but all of the big boys will be gone. There is just no way they will spend any time and money on a dead platform. I know you are having a hard time with this but I think you need to accept the fact, the fat lady is singing.
    Again, he is a single developer operation. He also just said: "Think about that — in the current state of webOS, developers will not start developing for webOS right now, even though the OS hasn’t been killed." (here: Zhephree | An Open Letter to HP: Open Source Enyo.)

Even he sees that if the app isn't there, it won't be there.

People are returning TouchPad's left and right, why would anyone even go through the "two hours" to do PDK porting of applications? While HP has not killed webOS, they have driven a silver spike to its heart.
    I think that we should get a trade in voucher for our TouchPads towards a tablet PC
    I was a proud supporter of Palm, HP
    WebOS running on the Palm Pre, Pixi, and now the TouchPad.

Amazon =
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    EXACTLY.

Simple Bible for enyo is almost done. It will be finished and released. Peolpe will still have their tablets for 1-3 yrs and phones for another 1-2 years. They will need apps.
    If I bought the current simple bible pro, does that mean I would have to buy it again fir enyo?
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    i think webos will be safe for about another 6months if someone licences it by then if not its sad to say but its gonna be dead
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Does it mean 100% certainty that apps and system updates will end immediately. Easy answer...NO.
    As long as they get me my update for my Veer to enable TTS, that's all I care really.

Or maybe a firesale of the Pre 3.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567