Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Again, go back and pay closer attention. The hardware will be phased out by 4th quarter. Likely not really being "made", but they'll continue to sell, including the new devices they've just announced. Bargains might even spur more development. HP also said they expect some action on licensing/selling webOS within 2 weeks.
    But why announce it now? Why not wait until Q4 to make the announcement after another hardware manufacturer is lined up to license the OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    But why announce it now? Why not wait until Q4 to make the announcement after another hardware manufacturer is lined up to license the OS?
    I guess when Best Buy and similars threaten to removed HP's entire line unless they took back all the Touch Pads they weren't selling, and realizing the resulting press, they had no choice but to answer to stockholders best short term (2011) interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I'd know once thing for certain. Time to learn how to Sideload apps. If HP's mothership stops responding I'd still like access to the 20 or 30 apps already in service.
    Being able to have installable backups of existing App Catalog titles is a big concern for those of us who want to keep using their devices for as long as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I guess when Best Buy and similars threaten to removed HP's entire line unless they took back all the Touch Pads they weren't selling, and realizing the resulting press, they had no choice but to answer to stockholders best short term (2011) interests.
    By making sure they lose even more money?
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Does it mean 100% certainty that apps and system updates will end immediately. Easy answer...NO.
    Short answer ....... no
    Long answer......... yes
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Short answer ....... no
    Long answer......... yes
    HP Phones = Dead.
    [Palm] WebOS = Alive.

[;
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Being able to have installable backups of existing App Catalog titles is a big concern for those of us who want to keep using their devices for as long as possible.
    When access to the app catalog is no longer available, there will be other options for backing up your applications locally so that you can reinstall them after a doctor.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When access to the app catalog is no longer available, there will be other options for backing up your applications locally so that you can reinstall them after a doctor.

-- Rod
    HB solution or formal?
    If it's formal solution, than HP is planning to kill app cat soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    HB solution or formal?
    If it's formal solution, than HP is planning to kill app cat soon.
    I speak only on behalf of homebrew, not HP.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    So I wonder if I should buy a Pre 3 now... is that even going to be released anymore?!
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    So I wonder if I should buy a Pre 3 now... is that even going to be released anymore?!
    If you are asking the question, then you should not.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    touche... so "upset"-ed right now... i was set on the 4G tablet... OKay.. I will give them a week to make an announcement on what the plans are... selling, buying, etc... but I need concrete answers b/c the Motorola photon is lookin might nice now.
    Last edited by nightdevil21; 08/19/2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: don't want to get in trouble for saying "pised"
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    After years of sitting on the sidelines, my business started porting two of our popular iOS apps to webOS three weeks ago after HP/Palm developer relations reached out to us and offered some support. I can tell you this decision to can webOS hardware does not sit well with me, since we devoted significant time/effort into this (which could have been better spent elsewhere).

Sadly, our contact in developer relations was as shocked by this decision as we were, so I don't blame her -- I feel bad for her actually. But I feel really bad for developers who put even more time and resources into developing for the TouchPad than we did (especially the bigger apps that clearly took major work). It generally takes at least $30-50K to put together a solid app, and that is a lot of money to invest in a platform that was effectively killed soon after introduction. I feel like HP burned developers pretty bad with this decision (which they are making for their own interests, without concern for developers or customers). I sure don't plan to devote any more of our developer resources to webOS.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    OK, so I have a centro and have waited for what feels like FOREVER for the Pre3 and Snerygy. I just cannot believe this. I am speechless. I was the last holdout for Wordperfect when it was still better than Word..but alas, i now use Word. Now, After being so loyal to Palm for so long, I need to figure out how to get my data to a completely new system. I refuse to go the way of iPhone so it will have to be android...any ideas for a non-techy like myself to get my memos, contacts, calendar, tasks to a new phone/multiple computer syncing scenario?!?

-- Rod
    If the EU Pre3 can run on AT&T, I will be buying one sooner or later. If they don't release the US version.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    In answer to the OP question:

Does the recent annoucement mean 100% certainty no more apps and uptdates?

The answer is "No."

100% certainty requires faith. No fact is 100% true.

300 years ago we were certain the age of the universe was about 5,000 years. 600 years ago you would be put to death if you said that the universe did not revolve around the earth. 800 years ago it was a certain fact that the earth was flat.

There are old apps from my Treo 650 that are still getting updates. There were even new Treo apps released this year. People are still making new DOS and Commadore programs.

So years from now this forum will still be here. There will be an app updated and some fun new app.

We will go until the last Pre screen cracks from the USB port or Oreo's beyond repair.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If the EU Pre3 can run on AT&T, I will be buying one sooner or later. If they don't release the US version.
    Note that you didn't ask a question about it, so you should

-- Rod
  18. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Note that you didn't ask a question about it, so you should

-- Rod
    So can the Pre3 run on AT&T? It should right?

One good thing is the price should be real reasonable soon.

-- Rod
    I guess this is everyone's worry - what can Pre smartphone like myself and new TouchPad owners do to continue using webOS software if resets become necessary?

I don't expect webOS and profiles to go away anytime soon, but better off safe then sorry and I'd love to know how I can backup my apps and restore after needing a webOS Doctor rebuild.

Either way, appreciate the help and thanks for all the Homebrew support! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Developers have been complaining that some of their submissions today for new apps and updates to existing apps have been rejected, but that may just be a temporary glitch.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast