Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I dont follow you, since i feel to stay optimistic delusional
    Fixed it for ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Stephen DeWitt stated that HP is committed to continue work on webOS and intends to license it.
    After today's debacle of an announcement, it's going to be tough for any company to want to put resources into it. It's possible, sure, but unlikely. If they had announced hardware partners today, I'd be ecstatic. But they didn't, and most likely it's because nobody would actually commit to joining in, even after the Google/Motorola bombshell earlier this week.

Moreover, the longer things remain in limbo like this, the less likely it becomes. As fast as users were abandoning ship before this, that's going to increase exponentially, when you consider how many people were just holding out for the Pre 3.
    Trekker likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    After today's debacle of an announcement, it's going to be tough for any company to want to put resources into it. It's possible, sure, but unlikely. If they had announced hardware partners today, I'd be ecstatic. But they didn't, and most likely it's because nobody would actually commit to joining in, even after the Google/Motorola bombshell earlier this week.

Moreover, the longer things remain in limbo like this, the less likely it becomes. As fast as users were abandoning ship before this, that's going to increase exponentially, when you consider how many people were just holding out for the Pre 3.
    Now that's a doom and gloom that I mostly agree with. Personally, I don't think there's much chance of it being licenses. I suspect someone will buy the OS. Sony always like Palm, maybe they'd be interested. They certainly have the pockets, and aren't afraid of the consumer market. The Clie was by far the best PalmOS hardware made.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoichikun808 View Post
    I wonder what would have been had Hurd still been President of HP...instead of Apoth...
    Leo may make the HP rank & file remember fondly of the Carly years.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    ...It's called posturing. Of course they're going to say they intend on seeking licensing opportunities. But when they poison the brand by spelling out exactly how much of a bath they took on webOS while killing off their own webOS products just to stop the bleeding...

Insisting that webOS isn't dead is so out there that I almost think you're just playing devil's advocate.
    But you're ignoring the obvious. Why poison the brand then posture?

And no, I'm not playing devil's advocate. The OP asked a set of very specific questions, and the usual "I hate webOS" crowd are answering quite dishonestly, spouting their typical doom and gloom.

He didn't ask if 100% chance that apps were going to be released - he asked if there was 100% chance they weren't.

The answer is still no. Not at this point.
    <thread cleaned>
    I honestly don't know why HP would say "webOS put us this deep in the hole and we don't see a light at the tunnel for the next 5 years so we're just going to cut our losses and not sell it anymore" and then turn around and say "but if anyone wants to take it off our hands..." That's probably the biggest mystery of the day to me.
    <quote removed>

Yeah, its not like HP just canceled the flagship WebOS product after a month and a half.
    I honestly don't know why HP would say "webOS put us this deep in the hole and we don't see a light at the tunnel for the next 5 years so we're just going to cut our losses and not sell it anymore" and then turn around and say "but if anyone wants to take it off our hands..." That's probably the biggest mystery of the day to me.
    Exactly.
    If they had said that, I'd agree.

Fortunately, that's simply your intepretation of what they actually said.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If they had said that, I'd agree.

Fortunately, that's simply your intepretation of what they actually said.
    Sorry, I was paraphrasing. Here's what they actually said as per Thisismynext:

3:24 pm "About a year ago, we made a bet on webOS. At that time we set clear metrics and milestones to measure success. The sellthough of the TouchPad was not what we expected. Our expectation was to establish TouchPad as the clear number 2 platform in tablets."
    3:25 pm "It was clear that pricing parity would not generate demand, and we cut prices by $100."
    3:25 pm "WebOS would require significant investments over the next five years, generating risk without clear rewards."
    4:02 pm A: (Cathy) We expect the dev expenses to come down dramatically -- down to 1 or 2 cents per share a quarter. If you look at the run rate losses there, you can attribute them pretty much to Palm.
    And from Business Insider:

5:22: Personal Systems Group -- remains the #1 PC business across notebooks and laptops with 18% share -- revenue was down 3%.

Wow -- the group that includes WebOS lost $322m during the quarter, which is MORE THAN ITS REVENUE (which was $266m).

"The sellthrough of the product was not what we expected." They wanted WebOS to be clear #2 for the tablet market.

"Additionally, it quickly became clear that pricing parity would not create demand." Price dropped $100, added costs.

Needed to align sellthrough expectations with reality. So took a 5-cent charge related to WebOS.

We would have expected an even larger loss for WebOS.

"Essentially, the TouchPad and WebOS phones have not met targets." They don't want to make the ongoing investments, "risk without return."
    Sorry, I was paraphrasing. Here's what they actually said as per Thisismynext:
    Exactly. Not seeing "clear rewards" is different from your "paraphrase".

So, who might be interested - why, a company that does see a "clear reward", or at least a "possible reward".

Just about every start-up company is pitched to people that don't see the vision, even those start-up companies that succeed. The difference for those that succeed is that someone did see the vision that others couldn't.

By the same token, every company that is sold is sold by a company that believes that's the best $$ they'll get, and bought by a company that believes they'll get what they spent back, and then some.

But we've veered way off what the the OP asked.

Again - no, the announcment does not mean with 100% certainty that there will be no more apps.

To the contrary, a number of developers have already stated they are continuing to develop for the platform.

Face it, most of the current developers didn't think they were going to get rich off their work anytime soon. This is a bump in the road for them no doubt, and some will give up. Others won't.
    Last edited by hparsons; 08/18/2011 at 10:15 PM.
    I'm going to repeat the OP, since we've gotten so far off-topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    I'm not sure if I understood HP's announcement of "shutting down operations". Does this mean no more new apps and no more system updates effective immediately? So document editting forever? No more pivot?
    Does this mean no more new apps and no more system updates effective immediately?
    No, it does not mean no more new apps effective immediately. As a matter of fact, it doesn't mean no more new apps in the near future. I'll even go a step further (even though you didn't ask), it doesn't even me no more new hardware until the end of the fourth quarter. There will almost certainly be new system updates. Those that they are currently working on will be almost certainly be wrapped up; plus if there is a licensee, or a buyer, work will continue.
    So document editting forever?
    This one, I'm personally a little ambivalent on. HP promised document editing. I'm wondering if a class-action could be brought if they don't deliver. Barring that, I don't see them releasing anything, unless there's a buyer for the OS, or a licensee.
    No more pivot?
    Might see one or two more versions, even if they aren't bought (or licensed). Barring that happening though, the Pivot, and the app catalog, will probably go away, and be replaced with something more akin to Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by surpass View Post
    The only hardware that runs your apps isn't being made anymore. Yeah, I'd say that's a bump in the road for any software developer.
    Again, go back and pay closer attention. The hardware will be phased out by 4th quarter. Likely not really being "made", but they'll continue to sell, including the new devices they've just announced. Bargains might even spur more development. HP also said they expect some action on licensing/selling webOS within 2 weeks.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    so go conservative: 25,000 TPs sold x $50 app cred = $1.25 million available today for devs. 70% of that is $875,000 available today. I'm thinkin there might be a few ppl hanging round...

ps all you peeps returning your TPs want to post your APP cred codes here so we can use them?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    CHUQ wrote:

folks, I know it's tough, but try to relax a bit. I'm working to get you as much information as I can as fast as I can. All I can say right now is that is that I don't see this as bad for webOS.

Please just hang tight. I'll be back with more as soon as I can.

(I have meetings to go to for some odd reason).
    Oh wow...I had one of these meetings unexpected meetings that is. When I worked for Microsoft and they gathered me and my team of 20 people in a room and said "everyone in the room has been let go and you have 30mins to gather your stuff."

Thankfully, my layoff sent me back to school to finish my degree, certifications, and begin my consulting career that I love. Hope it goes well for Chuq and his group formally from Palm. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by surpass View Post
    Yeah, I guess we really don't even know that the hardware will, for sure, be discontinued in Q4. Perhaps this news will spark a renewed nostalgic interest in Palm products over the next several months causing an unprecedented reversal from HP and a renewed commitment to webOS devices including a superphone.

The TP might even be the most popular tablet ever sold on Woot at tens of thousands of units at $149 each. Netflix will announce that they are finished with their long-awaited webOS app.
    No, they said Q4. I suspect they meant that one.
    I think webosinternals and other homebrew developers are going to continue supporting existing webOS users for the next few years and I hope they are well-compensated for it. But that doesn't mean webOS will see any future growth or some miraculous 3rd chance at life.

I've always said that webOS parallels OS/2 in almost every way and this really isn't any different. A handful of diehard users kept using and developing for OS/2 for years after IBM killed it, oblivious to an increasingly Windows-centric world.
    Hopefully webOS internals gets some news out soon, but I'm pretty sure they are waiting like everyone else and then hopefully bring some insight???

I love my TP and it ain't dead yet and would take alot to make less useful (I've already responded to a dozen threads in the last hour from my TP). Would I like more apps, opportunity, and future updates...you betcha, but if they don't come that is also okay.

I'd know once thing for certain. Time to learn how to Sideload apps. If HP's mothership stops responding I'd still like access to the 20 or 30 apps already in service.

I guess there is also Android and xWindows Linux options, but this would take someone like webOS internals knowledge to make happen. I know it can be done...my wife's Nook Color was never meant to run Gingerbread and Honeycomb...so anything is possible with the right motivation.

Looking forward to hearing from more developer like Bits of God continuing their work on Simple Bible Pro for Mojo and Enyo and obviously webOS internals. Sorli...
    Rod had made webos internals position fairly clear on twitter.
    Has...dyac!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast