Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    Alright, I've been waiting for the HP Pre 3 phone since HP made the announcement. Way back in Feb my contracts been up. Then I wake up today and see WebOS Devices are being discontinued. Now that's it's out there it's a little more settled... What eff is Happening with everything. I mean yeah, i'm furious with them so please feel free to cuss out HP, say whatever you want on here. Just maybe you guys can answer these questions... or like a story that can...

1: Are they going to release the HP Pre 3 at all in the US?
    2: Are they going to continue Dev support?
    3: Are they going to continue WebOS support, updates (2.3... 3.x)?
    4: Are they going to license WebOS to other companies (HTC, Samsung)?
    5: Are they going to continue production of the current products?
    6: Are they going to continue to backup info through synergy?
    7: Are they still going to integrate WebOS into future product (printers, PCs)?
    8: Are they selling WebOS the OS?
    9: What's going to happen to the employees that work on WebOS?
    10: What the **** were they thinking?!?!?!?!?!?!

I see this as a HUGE middle finger to all WebOS fans... Anyway, like i said feel free to let out your frustration and please let's answer these questions.
    Well, the Pre 2 is a very good phone, not perfect, but good enough for me to be satisfied for a while. Even if they don't have much new software or updates, I can live with it until I get iphone or android envy.
    DOA. Leo has made it clear he doesn't care about the consumer space and webOS is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I know, I know, the iPhans on here are dedicated (months, even years of dedication) of crapping all over anything that might be positive, but my answer was correct.
    Nothing that was announced today is positive. WebOS is dead and the last link to Palm is dead.
    I think you don't read very well. I stated that the 100% question was answered. Not only he, but other developers have already stated they are still developing, so stating that "No, it does not mean 100% certainity no more apps" is correct.

I know, I know, the iPhans on here are dedicated (months, even years of dedication) of crapping all over anything that might be positive, but my answer was correct.
    I'm sure the technicality of "yes, some small developers will release their nearly-completed apps" is exactly what the OP was looking for.
    <threads merged>
    But buying an android device does nothing for the devices we already have, future or no future.
    It's similar for anything on webOS now though. Buying a webOS application now is actually a negative for whatever future device you'll be running. Even if a developer is still going to work on an application... If I bought, say... TapNote (sorry to developer of that but it's the first paid app showing in my Pre App Catalog), I'd be spending $5 on it, for what... 6 months of use (ignoring the fact that many of us who still have the Pre have a phone that is falling apart and we were barely holding it together until the Pre 3 launch)? And then in 6 months, I have to buy an Android or iOS or WP7 app to do the same thing, because I won't be able to buy a webOS device. That app on the other platforms actually has a future, because there's going to be future devices released on that platform. The app on webOS doesn't. So basically, every dollar from here on out that you spend on webOS is taking money away from what you're going to have to spend elsewhere.

I really hate saying this, because the developers do deserve support, but it's really not worth it from a user's standpoint to invest any further money. Like HP, you have to cut your losses.
    The quote below answers the 100% question for you.

Of course, there will be the typical naysayers insisting it's dead. The ONLY thing "dead" for sure is that HP is not making future hardware for webOS. They are still making webOS.
    Doesn't really matter if they still make webOS. With no hardware support down the pipeline, hardly anyone will make apps for it. There has to be numbers to entice new developers. Now we know this won't happen. So while we may get a trickle of apps that are almost finished, future apps will look bleak.
    I wonder what would have been had Hurd still been President of HP...instead of Apoth...
    The one that really gets to me is DeCorvett's "Communities." I've seen him talk about it for the past 2 months and he keeps mentioning some really great and innovative ideas. I hope he finishes the app, releases it, and makes enough money (despite launching during webOS' final days) to justify the time and effort he spent on it.
    to be honest with you I dont think webos is dead at all. Think about how companies like HTC, and Samsung to name a few could do with a pretty much fully functional OS like Webos. Since Day 1 the only main reason people didnt pick up on it was hardware. Seriously Ive used every OS religiously, and Webos still out shines anything on the market, and if you put webos in a evo, iphone 4, or a samsung gaxay II shell nobody would be complaining about Webos at all. To me this is the smartest move HP has made, in terms of timing, because as I said HP was making products that were too simliar to Palm, and at this point what Palm made in the past is not wanted right now. Even the mindshare of the touchpad being wanted more then any android or BB tablet even after the best buy story is huge. Even going back and seeing how slow the marketshare decreased since the launch of the Palm Pre, even though the hardware was outdated since it launched says something. People want the death of something just because its down, but the bottom line with webos is that it is still superior to any OS out there,and puting it on modern technology will punish any competitor on the market. Dont take my word for it, watch it happen if HTC and or Samsung picks it up. Alot of grins from people waiting for Webos's downfall will quickly turn to frowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Lots of discussion about the possibility for HP to license out WebOS or sell it outright. From HP's posture on all of this, I don't gather that they are really all that interested in WebOS anymore. However, whether they license it or sell it outright, there's is one thing, and one thing only that will allow WebOS to finally have some success in the mobile market. APP DEVELOPMENT. It's just purely obvious now that the general population cares first and foremost about apps. "How many apps does it have compared to the iPhone or Android?" That question has been asked many, many, many times by many potential customers. We may very well see WebOS on a Samsung device...but it won't be for a long time. Samsung would have to use whatever clout they have to cajole developers into producing apps for WebOS and that will simply take time. Frankly, it may not be possible to get a 3rd chance for WebOS. But, they would have to prove that they have a REAL roadmap for the release of WebOS device with competitive specs and not just pie in the sky "coming soon" junk HP threw out there. They would have to convince developers they are committed to WebOS and would be releasing devices at large scale at regular intervals in multiple form factors. IF they can do that AND get bigtime developers on board THEN once those apps are ready they could start to produce WebOS devices. Customers don't want a device that "should have blah blah blah very soon". The iPhone and Android have it now, so why wait for some mysterious time in the future? Most customer simply don't care about the "elegance" or ingenuity of a mobile OS unless the apps are there to back it up. I tried a million times to convince my fiance that WebOS, at its core, was a better OS than iOS...but it always came back to "yeah, I guess it's nice, but can it do _________?", which it inevitably couldn't b/c there was no app available. The fact is this: If the apps are there, people will buy WebOS. Pure and simple. Sadly, this may just not be possible. There's no way any company get WebOS in the same galaxy as the number of iOS apps and, unfortunately, that is a deciding factor for the overwhelming majority of smartphone suitors. The best Samsung (or whoever it might be...if it's to be) can do is simply try to get all the biggest and best apps ready for WebOS by the time they release their first device. Start at the top (Netflix, QuickOffice, Kindle, etc) and work your way down. This would take a HUGE commitment and A LOT of faith in twice failed OS, and no company may be willing to make that kind of commitment. There's a lot of "ifs" in all of this, but this is the only way WebOS could ever make it.
    Wow. I'm not sure how this post that is 100% about WebOS was deemed more appropriate for the "HP and Palm general discussion" forum than the "WebOS Discussion" forum. If you'll notice, HP is mentioned ONCE and Palm doesn't get mentioned AT ALL. Thanks for moving/merging/killing my post though. I appreciate it.
    and for the record, Flash support also depends on what network your running it on, and thats been a fact since the first PC came out. So if your flash is not running smooth, its your network. Fact with a mifi 4G on verizon my flash is not only fast, not only starts instance, but also does not skip, buffer, or freeze and thats even watching a full length movie on sites like hulu.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Um, maybe its my business degree speaking, but when the owner of the OS and platform admits thats its a miserable failure and they are canceling all future hardware,...... it is bad.
    I'm not going to argue that there's either life or hope, but you are putting a lot of words in HP's mouth. They did not admit that webOS was a miserable failure, they decided to get out of consumer hardware. Basically, webOS was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That doesn't change the fact that today was the day that webOS died, a sad day indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    to be honest with you I dont think webos is dead at all.

To me this is the smartest move HP has made,
    Let me guess, you still believe in the Easter Bunny...don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    to be honest with you I dont think webos is dead at all. Think about how companies like HTC, and Samsung to name a few could do with a pretty much fully functional OS like Webos. Since Day 1 the only main reason people didnt pick up on it was hardware. Seriously Ive used every OS religiously, and Webos still out shines anything on the market, and if you put webos in a evo, iphone 4, or a samsung gaxay II shell nobody would be complaining about Webos at all. To me this is the smartest move HP has made, in terms of timing, because as I said HP was making products that were too simliar to Palm, and at this point what Palm made in the past is not wanted right now. Even the mindshare of the touchpad being wanted more then any android or BB tablet even after the best buy story is huge. Even going back and seeing how slow the marketshare decreased since the launch of the Palm Pre, even though the hardware was outdated since it launched says something. People want the death of something just because its down, but the bottom line with webos is that it is still superior to any OS out there,and puting it on modern technology will punish any competitor on the market. Dont take my word for it, watch it happen if HTC and or Samsung picks it up. Alot of grins from people waiting for Webos's downfall will quickly turn to frowns.
    You're thinking of it from the perspective of someone who uses and likes webOS very much, though. I don't think HP handled the death of webOS particularly well but the worst thing they did was poison the OS by mentioning how grossly unprofitable it is. I think they had a forecast of something like 5 unprofitable years before finally seeing some returns. With that in mind, why would HTC or Samsung want to get into the webOS business? And who would buy a HTC or Samsung webOS phone when the platform failed to gain any developer support in its 3 year existence?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    why would HTC or Samsung want to get into the webOS business? And who would buy a HTC or Samsung webOS phone when the platform failed to gain any developer support in its 3 year existence?
    My thoughts also.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I know the denial runs thick sometimes but the notion of "webOS isn't dead because frankos72 is still going to release Simple Bible" is just...wow.
    as I have said to you other places, I am not saying this is a positive swing for webOS (I need to keep posting this because people keep taking my posts out on context).

on Twitter, webosinternals and other devs have stated they will continue to develop at this point. Whatever apps are in progress I see coming out since the money is still there for the devs and HP.

once again cost/benefit analysis ... Maybe no new projects for some tomorrow, but folks will do what they do, Rod has already posted new info via Twitter. There is still development on webOS and that is the truth, no wishful thinking or hope or whatever you would like to call it... It is reality
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Because it has a future?
    Then when the TouchPad finally dies, they may be able to choose an Android tablet to replace it. Until then, I'll use what I bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    as I have said to you other places, I am not saying this is a positive swing for webOS (I need to keep posting this because people keep taking my posts out on context).

on Twitter, webosinternals and other devs have stated they will continue to develop at this point. Whatever apps are in progress I see coming out since the money is still there for the devs and HP.

once again cost/benefit analysis ... Maybe no new projects for some tomorrow, but folks will do what they do, Rod has already posted new info via Twitter. There is still development on webOS and that is the truth, no wishful thinking or hope or whatever you would like to call it... It is reality
    I think webosinternals and other homebrew developers are going to continue supporting existing webOS users for the next few years and I hope they are well-compensated for it. But that doesn't mean webOS will see any future growth or some miraculous 3rd chance at life.

I've always said that webOS parallels OS/2 in almost every way and this really isn't any different. A handful of diehard users kept using and developing for OS/2 for years after IBM killed it, oblivious to an increasingly Windows-centric world.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast