Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    they are still developing 3.0.... but whatever, there will be no more growth.. even if someone comes along and licenses it in the next couple of weeks, its going to take at least 9 months (if everything goes smoothly) before we get to sniff at the next device.... so yeah, i would say its time to move on =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rkarolak View Post
    Hopefully they will not shut down the App Catalog, especially if they plan on still keeping WebOS around in some form. As far as future development, this announcement likely killed the motivation for most developers. There is little to no future for making money in the webOS market in the foreseeable future. What will be left are the enthusiasts...
    its the hardware side their shunning atm, they will probably leave the app store open as it generates some income without effort or having to "make then sell" anything, at least common sense would suggest that, but todays news kinda kicks common sense in the b0llocks then steals its wallet atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by surpass View Post
    Does it really matter? Do you think developers will spend even one minute on a platform with no future, especially when it had little or no present?
    Bits of God Software will. Like I sad Simple Bible for Enyo will be finished. I have another app that is a unannounced that is close to finished (Mojo Version) that I will likely release. Why not, people are going to need apps for a while.

I guess what is pretty safe to say is that there will be no new idea started on until webOS' future is clear.
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    they are still developing 3.0.... but whatever, there will be no more growth.. even if someone comes along and licenses it in the next couple of weeks, its going to take at least 9 months (if everything goes smoothly) before we get to sniff at the next device.... so yeah, i would say its time to move on =\
    Both HTC and Samsung (if I recall correctly) had expressed interest in licensing webOS. With the great hardware they already make. And a team in place that can take similar devices and put different software on them. I imagine they could go from signing to phone on the street in 3-5 months.

All they have to do is take an exisiting phone and put webOS on it. Sounds pretty simple to me.
    I think there are at least one class action lawsuit in HP's future. To lessen the blow they will continue to release a few updates to WebOS for the near future.

ET
    CHUQ wrote:

folks, I know it's tough, but try to relax a bit. I'm working to get you as much information as I can as fast as I can. All I can say right now is that is that I don't see this as bad for webOS.

Please just hang tight. I'll be back with more as soon as I can.

(I have meetings to go to for some odd reason).
    What about the future of their 7" "Opal" Device that passed through the FCC last week? Hp must have known this was coming, so why continue plans for the 4G version TP and 7" device?
  8.    #28  
    Well, all I really want to know is whether document editting is ever coming. If I get that then I will not return my Touchpad. That's all I really need. It plays movies and surfs the web, that's all I expected it to do.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    wow now i know why they gave us amazing deals on it..to clear them out!lol

to bad..it must of been a hard decisions for them to drop there baby like that..

so lets hop that some genius will find a way to dump android in it..
    Quote Originally Posted by surpass View Post
    Does it really matter? Do you think developers will spend even one minute on a platform with no future, especially when it had little or no present?
    Platform != hardware.

Microsoft doesn't make PCs, lots of applications for Windows though.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by techker View Post
    wow now i know why they gave us amazing deals on it..to clear them out!lol

to bad..it must of been a hard decisions for them to drop there baby like that..

so lets hop that some genius will find a way to dump android in it..
    Most of us that bought the TouchPad did it for webOS, why would we now suddenly want Android?
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    What about the future of their 7" "Opal" Device that passed through the FCC last week? Hp must have known this was coming, so why continue plans for the 4G version TP and 7" device?
    From the story on the front page, it seems like the webos business unit probably just got the news a little sooner than we did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messerschmitts View Post
    I'm not sure if I understood HP's announcement of "shutting down operations". Does this mean no more new apps and no more system updates effective immediately? So document editting forever? No more pivot?
    The quote below answers the 100% question for you.

Of course, there will be the typical naysayers insisting it's dead. The ONLY thing "dead" for sure is that HP is not making future hardware for webOS. They are still making webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    EXACTLY.

Simple Bible for enyo is almost done. It will be finished and released. Peolpe will still have their tablets for 1-3 yrs and phones for another 1-2 years. They will need apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Does it mean 100% certainty that apps and system updates will end immediately. Easy answer...NO.
    why would any app developer spend any time on WebOS when the owner of the OS has admitted its a monster failure? Its game over. Accept it and move on.
    It's Dead JIM!

My 32G Touchpad has not arrived yet and I am will be returning it. I got a deal at $250.00 and I still do not want it. Applications will be the issue for the future.
    Party hats on at Apple today.
    it cant be dead because to quote HP previously...

""Our Intent Is To Double Down On WebOS"...Perhaps they doubled down and now they're bowing out? When I used my touchpad since launch I felt I was being supported and backed up with future promise of the device. Now I wonder if it will even get document editing and the likes. They sure better have plans to get new devices out there. I am a hardcore launch day webOS'er and I have a Sprint upgrade I might as well use on a new phone. Even if there are new webOS phones, I may be due for another 2 year upgrade lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The quote below answers the 100% question for you.

Of course, there will be the typical naysayers insisting it's dead. The ONLY thing "dead" for sure is that HP is not making future hardware for webOS. They are still making webOS.
    Um, lets face it , these Naysayers that you have been arguing against since the launch have been right.
    It's dead...

I just returned mines. It REALLY hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    All I can say right now is that is that I don't see this as bad for webOS.
    Um, maybe its my business degree speaking, but when the owner of the OS and platform admits thats its a miserable failure and they are canceling all future hardware,...... it is bad.
    sinsin07 likes this.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast