Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1.    #1  
    http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2011/08...medium=twitter

This is finally something positive?
    You can't trust hp.

---
    - Sent from Tapatalk
    grappler, Biggnaa20 and Trekker like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by noxis View Post
    http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2011/08...medium=twitter

This is finally something positive?
    No. If they don't already have one, and announce today, who will be around to develop for it. Had they sold the mobile operations (even for a box of spare cables), maybe. But if they find a partner in 3 months, the world will have moved on.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    insane42 and angiest like this.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Forget it - it's a wrap - even if they could find a hardware partner, they would be starting from scratch in Six months, twelve months?

Nokia have taken the best part of twelve months to design a WP7 phone - so you'd be looking at end of 2012/2013 unless they rush some garbage to market.

More simply - who the hell is going to want to?

Does an OS that the world's biggest technology company (look at that scale! look at that leverage!) can't sell sound like a good deal to any smaller players?
    I just don't see it happening. WebOS failed with Palm and then with HP. Who really wants to risk it?
    So what happens to our devices, my Pre2 and my Touchpad. Do we still receive updates?
    Sent from my Verizon Pre2
    I'm sure HP will promise to continue supporting currently existing WebOS devices, but I surely wouldn't get my hopes up. Their support before wasn't great. Now that they've cut WebOS loose, I can't imagine they'll be throwing good money after bad to keep supporting it.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pow12390 View Post
    So what happens to our devices, my Pre2 and my Touchpad. Do we still receive updates?
    Maybe Joe Ruinstein will make an appearance and promise to "make it right"?
    Nope - just spin-doctoring.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    They should just give it to me. I could run webOS into the ground a lot slower than HP did.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    angiest likes this.
    In the liveblog hp said device support ends in quarter 4
    its done...the end of an era...
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    In the liveblog hp said device support ends in quarter 4
    No they said they would stop development of devices in Q4. Prior to that they said they would move forward with software. They have not once mentioned stopping software development.

I am actually listening to the whole call, so this isn't a paraphrase from someone elses paraphrasing of what was said.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    hparsons likes this.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    HP will sell WebOS to Google. Google will use the IP to fend off lawsuits from Apple, incorporate the good parts of WebOS into Android and flush the rest down the toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    No they said they would stop development of devices in Q4. Prior to that they said they would move forward with software. They have not once mentioned stopping software development.

I am actually listening to the whole call, so this isn't a paraphrase from someone elses paraphrasing of what was said.
    Listening to the primary source instead of reading rushed journalistic pieces? What's wrong with you? =P
    hrminer92 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Listening to the primary source instead of reading rushed journalistic pieces? What's wrong with you? =P
    My bad...

ohhh and they just said specifically looking to get out of lower margin areas (hardware), and getting into higher margin areas (software). Not word for word, but that was what was said prior to opening for questions...

Ohhh BTW, I am listening to this via my touchpad connected to my work wifi... so yeah, my touchpad still works.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I posted this as a comment on the front page:

After thinking this over carefully, I will lay the blame of this on Leo Apotheker.

He spent 9 months "evaluating" HP and the various systems. Travelled the world to see their worldwide offices and distribution channels.

All the while, telling everyone how much HP was behind WebOS, and, obviously, not really knowing what that was supposed to mean, because, obviously, they weren't.

They did technically execute an average of 1 device every 2 months in 2010, but, there is no question that this was a half hearted attempt... a corporate mentality governing a highly creative group never works.. I think JR and Palm thought that they would have more autonomy than they were given, and maybe they did until LA came on board.

Either way, what we have now is, in hidnsight, a serious of corporate blunders with the Veer, TouchPad and Pre 3 launches. They said "marathon, not a sprint", but, they seem to expect a decent placing outof the gate, without giving much support internally to make that happen.

IMO, they will try to license out WebOS to Samsung, if they cant sell it, along with the PSG to them.

Honestly, the timing of this couldnt be worse - mide Pre 3 launch - that says that there is something wrong with the whole ecosystem to any potential suitor.

Inasmuch, this *could* theoretically, be the death of WebOS, whether HP intended it, or not - I don't think that they know what they have done, here, and once more, HP's CEO has fulfilled the pattern of being a complete failure to execute.

I personally gave him the benefit of the doubt from day one, but, this is pretty much the smoking gun.

I dont want to be pessimistic, just logical:

Unless they announce a licensing partner soon (like, within the next month or so), the 18 month period to spin off the PSG with WebOS in it spells the death of our beloved mobile OS, at least for the current time.

I'll throw this out there:

RIM has pretty much done everything but copy the source code - they should buy the WebOS OS from HP just for the patents alone, so that their next version of the OS (the QNX based version, which powers the playbook) can be a real WebOS experience.

A very, very sad day for us all.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

djfu3l3r likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CareandShare View Post
    WebOS doesn't exist in a vacuum. Without devices customers can buy, developers can't make money from customer purchases. Without developers interested in making money from customer purchases, development dies. Without development, customer interest, and devices.....it's dead.

No one or no thing can save it. HP literally could not see a way to make money from it. No one else will in the phone or tablet space.
    As someone who has been here for more than less than a month (based on your join date). I have heard literally 100's of people on these boards say webOS would be great on HTC or Samsung hardware.

With googlemoto, I wouldn't be surprised to see an HTC or Samsung phone. We will see what happens, I own my devices and will use them until they break and there are no webOS replacements and I have to get it replaced with something else.
    Is there even a single compelling reason for HTC and Samsung to release a webOS phone?
    aah...Ruby the king of ******bags wanted to do their own hardware/software and wouldn't license to other OEM's...now look at them..
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast