Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    They have not once mentioned stopping software development.
    and why should we believe them?

and why should we actually think HP is capable of ding that? since when HP was a successful software company?
    gabe2gg likes this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Agreed and looking at it now, HP probably should have gone straight to licensing after they bought Palm. I am not sure why they thought they could just jump into being the sole source using Palm designs and turn a profit in a year.
    That is what Rahul tweeted:

rahulsood Rahul Sood

Before I left HP I delivered a heartfelt presentation: they should license #webOS for free to a real phone company. shouldda coulda...

13 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    and why should we actually think HP is capable of ding that? since when HP was a successful software company?
    HP, like IBM, was and is a very successful software company. It's just they're not a *consumer* software company. Even less a consumer *OS* software company.
    The thing that I find really hard to understand is why they actually got WebOS in the first place.
    Because the fact that they had no idea of what to do with it is not that surprising.

Dragos
    Quote Originally Posted by digitallysane View Post
    HP, like IBM, was and is a very successful software company. It's just they're not a *consumer* software company. Even less a consumer *OS* software company.
    The thing that I find really hard to understand is why they actually got WebOS in the first place.
    Because the fact that they had no idea of what to do with it is not that surprising.

Dragos
    I really wish it was HTC or samsung last time around, oh well.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well said, unfortunately, you will be drowned out by the usual trollchatter.
    You guys sound like a wife who caught her husband in bed with another woman and then believe him when he says he was just practicing a new Zumba routine.

Man, that Leo is a stone-cold Playa. I wonder what else he has going on the down-low.
    What's really painful (in addition to all the other things that are really painful) is that, based on what little we've seen of the Pre3 on YouTube, etc., and the testimony of those who have actually used one, it may very well have been the first webOS device that would have the Pogues of the world saying, "Finally! A phone that really runs webOS." (Personally I think the Veer runs it beautifully, but that phone's not for everybody.)
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    What's really painful (in addition to all the other things that are really painful) is that, based on what little we've seen of the Pre3 on YouTube, etc., and the testimony of those who have actually used one, it may very well have been the first webOS device that would have the Pogues of the world saying, "Finally! A phone that really runs webOS." (Personally I think the Veer runs it beautifully, but that phone's not for everybody.)
    This is why I don't believe the talk of 'poor sales led us to this decision.' This decision has nothing to do with sales of webOS it has to do with a fundamental change in HP's business plan. They are looking to spin off their PC group and sales aren't a problem for them are they?
    They are looking to spin off their PC group and sales aren't a problem for them are they?
    Exact! The HP gonna focus in corporate market, leaving out all hardware of personal computers. Well, the PrPrPr$s$ $and$ $TP$ $was$ &$quot$;$personal$ $computers$ $hardware$&$quot$;, $they$ $decided$ $kill$ $him$, $and$ $bring$ $the$ $software$ $to$ $continue$...

The problem was:

=> Some ***** leave in Press Release "kill webOS" before confirm something about licence too or before, at least. This is enough para all press publish the webOS funeral, of course...

=> Other ***** speak FIRST in kill webOS hardware BEFORE say something about licence!

IF the Press Release say NOTHING about webOS AND speak about LICENCE the webOS BEFORE talk about kill the hardware division, the press could be positive. Only this...

Yes; here, the order of factors changes the product.

And somebody have to know that "continue to explore options" is not the same as "we'll gonna release to licence"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    No. We are thinking micro, though. The big picture is that HP, as a corporation, is getting out of the hardware business--this is not just about webOS, other than to us.

SO, it's not that the hardware is too expensive as the margins on the the hardware are too low, IMO.
    I really wish I was wrong on this point, but so far I have not heard of HP dumping their server, storage, network, and printer businesses, all of which involve hardware R&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I really wish I was wrong on this point, but so far I have not heard of HP dumping their server, storage, network, and printer businesses, all of which involve hardware R&D.
    They are basically emulating IBM. Building common PCs and laptops is not profitable anymore.
    Building enterprise servers and mainframes, high-performance storage and networking, is hugely profitable.

IBM got out of PC manufacturing but they still make mainframes, servers and high-end systems, most of those powered by their own in-house processors (POWER) and their own operating systems and software. And they are very profitable

HP is probably the only company in the same position, having a portfolio of enterprise systems and mainframes, their own operating systems (HP-UX, OpenVMS), lots of enterprise software. Can't blame them for wanting to focus on those, it would be very profitable.

But, they could be at the forefront of this new generation of consumer devices (had everything they needed, except for the balls). If they are not interested in that, why the hell they got into it in the first place.
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    They screwed the Sprint faithful and the overall webOS loyalists! You can't invest in something and expect such a quick turnaround. For example; you walk into a Best Buy store and you see a huge Apple backboard advertising and then you a small kiosk table for HP! You have employees 24/7 at the Apple table and no one around at the Android or HP areas. You need to spend to make and have patience with your product line! This is sad and hopefully Samsung or HTC invest in webOS. How about a super-amoled screen with webOS!
    but here's the fundamental problems

1) while it might be huge margins now, competition always brings those down. so now they put all their eggs in a smaller basket?

2) sure, they can do servers and software.....dont those same enterprises need individual workstation systems? people tend to like to buy from a company as much as they can. no one will want hp servers and then have to go to dell to get workstations

just dumb overall imo
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    [...]no one will want hp servers[...]
    We're not talking the common dual proc Xeon server running Linux or Windows Server.
    Pretty much no one in this world offers the kind of systems that IBM or HP are able to offer (and maybe Sun/Oracle), combined with proprietary, high-performance operating systems and applications. Tens or hundreds of processors, high-availability, all the buzzwords are checked. The kind of systems that banks and governments run on, with the software to match.
    IBM System z
    IBM Power 775 Supercomputer
    HP Integrity Superdome
    S-series specifications
    HP-UX 11i Gems
    HP OpenVMS systems
    And considering how fast "cloud computing" grows, demand for this kind of servers is growing, while on the desktop demand for PCs is not.
    The announcement makes NO SENSE if you're trying to sell or license it. They just killed anything good left with WebOS' image.
    In the call and in the press it has been mentioned, those hardware units you speak of have higher margins than personal computing hardware. Just saying, your comment has been addressed in a business aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    but here's the fundamental problems

1) while it might be huge margins now, competition always brings those down. so now they put all their eggs in a smaller basket?

2) sure, they can do servers and software.....dont those same enterprises need individual workstation systems? people tend to like to buy from a company as much as they can. no one will want hp servers and then have to go to dell to get workstations

just dumb overall imo
    Agreed, especially with "possible spinoff" "possible sale" "exploring all options", it was a horrible earnings call. Listening to it in its entirety it came off very much, "Don't panic we are doing something to increase margins... we don't know exactly what yet but we are looking into every possible option... no buying this software company that noone has ever heard of wasn't a bad idea, I am a CEO and we are a board with a plan... we will be developing this plan over the next 2 to 4 weeks exploring all of our options..."

I know it's all corporate speak, but the whole call was about focusing on high margins and dumping anything that doesn't have high margins, but not one real plan or news announced other than webOS hardware stopping in Q4 and the purchase of that company.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    digitallysane said what I could have said more clearly. The fact is webOS is not the only change going on at HP. It is, however, our focus.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digitallysane View Post
    We're not talking the common dual proc Xeon server running Linux or Windows Server.
    Pretty much no one in this world offers the kind of systems that IBM or HP are able to offer (and maybe Sun/Oracle), combined with proprietary, high-performance operating systems and applications. Tens or hundreds of processors, high-availability, all the buzzwords are checked. The kind of systems that banks and governments run on, with the software to match.
    IBM System z
    IBM Power 775 Supercomputer
    HP Integrity Superdome
    S-series specifications
    HP-UX 11i Gems
    HP OpenVMS systems
    And considering how fast "cloud computing" grows, demand for this kind of servers is growing, while on the desktop demand for PCs is not.
    Umm, OpenVMS? HP-UX? People still use those? We are finally ditching our old Vaxen. Our trend has also been away from the larger POWER type systems towards smaller, "cheaper" systems running Intel processors, because someone thinks buying 10X the number of systems is a better investment.

In IBM's storage world, their big focus is the XIV (an outstanding system, by the way), which runs on intel hardware, not POWER like the DS8000 series.
    Couldn't HP just buy HTC? They would have all the market R&D and everything for building phones in place right away. Just slap the software on it, and get to the races....
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Couldn't HP just buy HTC? They would have all the market R&D and everything for building phones in place right away. Just slap the software on it, and get to the races....

And run it into the ground. Besides, it sounds like they are gonna be pretty strapped for cash with this $10 billion deal they are working on, or whatever exactly it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Then they would still be building hardware, the margins they are looking for aren't in hardware. It sucks, but this is where Leo and the board want to take the company.

Basically what it boils down to is Leo and the board believe they can liquidate a lot of hardware assets and increase per stock gain by getting into or staying in areas that give them more return on their dollar. Buying HTC would be the complete opposite of this.

I have so much HP product in my house (prior to them purchasing Palm), it is really sad they are going this route.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast