Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I am no business person, yet, I just can't believe the money HP put into WebOS and the devices over the last year and then pull the plug after one month. No one could have thought they were going to make a profit in one month (of the TP release).
    especially when there was hardly any difference in hardware from the original pre.
    hp is seriously a joke.
    no marketing for the veer. Lackluster intro for the tp and never even release the pre3
    what did they expect the sales to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    No they said they would stop development of devices in Q4. Prior to that they said they would move forward with software. They have not once mentioned stopping software development.

I am actually listening to the whole call, so this isn't a paraphrase from someone elses paraphrasing of what was said.
    Well said, unfortunately, you will be drowned out by the usual trollchatter.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yep, hp is stupid... webos was finally getting mindshare back...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    chalx and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't get why they couldn't stop device production and hold off this announcement until AFTER finding a new partner.
    THIS
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    As I saw elsewhere, time for Amazon to buy WebOS for their tablets and Kindles.

-X
    for me... their saying with stopping devices with development, that they are not spending anymore money on any new products... waste for them.

on the software side... i think they are keeping their options open in that...

if they can find it viable to license out, that may be an option... so they are continuing sw development so it gives them time to keep improving on it.

but i am thinking it wont be attractive to anyone... app store development is probably dead at this point and to get interest in apps it will take years.

other option is that they sell webos... if they can do that... well you want to keep developing to make sure you have a usable product to sell. i am guessing that when hp bought palm... webos was a mess and a lot of delay was making it what it is today... after launch and OTA... and it's still buggy.

but i think they know the most likely scenario is that someone will buy it for the patents and if they get at least 3billion for it... they are dumping it.

leo wants to buy that software company for $10 billion and if they can get at least 3billion for palm/webos... then you know leo will wash his hands of webos.

look at kodak putting its ip patents for sale... company worth 800 million but their patents supposedly worth at least twice that amount. the ip patent craze is hot and they wanna capitalize on it and hp has one of the best from palm.

Did you actually listen to the call? I believe when that was said, it was in regards to the hardware aspect (speaking on the aspect of why they were shuttering the hardware development).
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    KEEP DREAMING!!!
    Aim LOWER!!
    Think about Huawei or ZTE for your high-end.
    For the masses, go for that CHEAP SHANZHAI CHINESE PHONES.
    Seriously, go after them. There are millions of people on Asia and Africa who would be glad to buy phones with these specifications:

1. RESISTIVE Touch Screen.
    2. ANALOG TV Tuner (think PAL or NTSC).
    3. FM Radio.
    4. Internet connection for Email & Facebook. WebOS Synergy is the KILLER Application.
    5. Web Browsing.
    6. Have good Camera for Photo & Video Recording.
    7. Micro SD card & Local Email Storage.
    8. NETWORK unlocked for GSM and CDMA networks ( see:RUIM technology).
    9. Dual or Triple SIM and RUIM card would be a nice bonus.
    10. Finally, retail price of USD 50,00 (FIFTY US Dollars).

That's an the advice of one entrepreneur to a multi billion dollar company CEO.
    Sadly I was thinking the same thing about Huawei or ZTE
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well said, unfortunately, you will be drowned out by the usual trollchatter.
    HP can do no wrong for you, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    HP can do no wrong for you, eh?
    What in the world are you talking about? I've stated several times, I'm disappointed in this move by HP.

WebOS is still a great OS though.
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Did you actually listen to the call? I believe when that was said, it was in regards to the hardware aspect (speaking on the aspect of why they were shuttering the hardware development).

It was interesting listening to the call and hearing them directly. You're correct in that they said only the hardware part of the business was going to cease operations. It was funny listening to Leo tap-dance around the one question somebody asked about what they intended to do with the software.
    of course... he has no problem telling the world they are not making any more product. but he's also telling the world... gimme a call if you are interested in webos and how much it and it's patents are worth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    It was funny listening to Leo tap-dance around the one question somebody asked about what they intended to do with the software.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What in the world are you talking about? I've stated several times, I'm disappointed in this move by HP.

WebOS is still a great OS though.
    You sound surprised? Me and many other posters predicted this was going to happen but you and others label us as trolls or Ifanbois. How could you have trusted HP after the multiple lies? Can you seriously trust someone after they lie to you repeatedly?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    KEEP DREAMING!!!
    Aim LOWER!!
    Think about Huawei or ZTE for your high-end.
    For the masses, go for that CHEAP SHANZHAI CHINESE PHONES.
    Seriously, go after them. There are millions of people on Asia and Africa who would be glad to buy phones with these specifications:

1. RESISTIVE Touch Screen.
    2. ANALOG TV Tuner (think PAL or NTSC).
    3. FM Radio.
    4. Internet connection for Email & Facebook. WebOS Synergy is the KILLER Application.
    5. Web Browsing.
    6. Have good Camera for Photo & Video Recording.
    7. Micro SD card & Local Email Storage.
    8. NETWORK unlocked for GSM and CDMA networks ( see:RUIM technology).
    9. Dual or Triple SIM and RUIM card would be a nice bonus.
    10. Finally, retail price of USD 50,00 (FIFTY US Dollars).

That's an the advice of one entrepreneur to a multi billion dollar company CEO.
    I don't think ZTE or Huawei have the will to do it....

Edit:

I don't like Chinese Phones, they sucks all!.
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I don't like Chinese Phones, they sucks all!.
    Dude - my ZTE blade is hurt by those remarks - it cost me 70 with no contract and has been a champion of a phone - great developer community as well because so many millions were sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Dude - my ZTE blade is hurt by those remarks - it cost me 70 with no contract and has been a champion of a phone - great developer community as well because so many millions were sold.
    ZTE only owns like 3-7 Phones with Android, then all other are just Chineses one... Anyways I'm not by company, I'm because the OS.
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebec01 View Post
    As I saw elsewhere, time for Amazon to buy WebOS for their tablets and Kindles.

-X
    Amazon buying WebOS would be interesting.

They are consumer oriented, they are interested in vertical integration, they were able to get an alternative Android Market up and running, they know how to do this.

It kind of makes sense. It looks to me like the only possibility of WebOS living on as a proper OS, instead of being bought just for patents/concepts. WebOS with its "information/cloud-centric" concept and elegant operation seems very well suited to the type of stuff Amazon want to represent.
    If I were Amazon I would get the whole WebOS division (together with hardware), re-brand the TP and Pre3 and start doing a huge push.

I'm pretty convinced that consumers would be more interested in a device having the Amazon logo on it than at one with the HP logo, even if it's the same device.

But if they would have been interested, they could have bought Palm when it was for sale.

Dragos
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Amazon are interested in selling stuff - they aren't going to get sucked into a black-hole that cost HP $332 million in one quarter and was looking to suck down hundreds of millions more with no chance of return.
    Finding partner for featureless OS is going to be hard, Instead inventing TTS, PSG had to optimize WebOS, fix ever-present lag, rewrite generic apps to eliminate loading times, kill blinking card while loading, add support for tv out, USB Host, additional storage, fix networking, add features to PIM...
    At the end we are at begging, WebOS is uncosistent, featureless and way too slow. It was slow running @500MHz, running @800MHz, @1GHz, and people massively reported lag and slow loading times @1.2 dual core.
    So why should now (when PSG is in limbo) someone have interest for underdeveloped OS which paints in bad light any hardware it runs on?
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Amazon are interested in selling stuff - they aren't going to get sucked into a black-hole that cost HP $332 million in one quarter and was looking to suck down hundreds of millions more with no chance of return.
    It sucked so much money cause the whole thing was run by incompetent and lazy people.

Edit: to lighten up,

****** learns about HP abandoning WebOS
    www . youtube . com/watch?v=YaeOXyA7wo0
    Last edited by d3ac0n; 08/19/2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Do you really believe the cost of hardware development is the real problem, though?
    No. We are thinking micro, though. The big picture is that HP, as a corporation, is getting out of the hardware business--this is not just about webOS, other than to us.

SO, it's not that the hardware is too expensive as the margins on the the hardware are too low, IMO.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast