Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CareandShare View Post
    And they just saw what happened when a company bigger than them tried to re-launch a failed OS and create an ecosystem around it. Do you really think they'll put equivalent resources into RE-re-launching WebOS 1-2 years from now and try to get developers back onboard after being burned badly?
    This can't be stressed enough. It's HP! Size and scale, unlimited resources, etc. When a company like HP says "no, we can't make webOS work," that's a huge red flag.
    They have NOT said they "could not make webos work", it was the hardware development cost. That is what they have said.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    IGNTNUNLMTD and kjb86 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    They have NOT said they "could not make webos work", it was the hardware development cost. That is what they have said.
    Do you really believe the cost of hardware development is the real problem, though?
    OldSkool: I have always liked and appreciated your contributions, but you are grasping at straws, man.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Trekker likes this.
    According to the numbers they reported compared to their 3Q loss, yeah. In direct response to the question about the Q3 loss, and the viability of running the software side if they were making money with hardware, it was said that the software (advertising/dev relations/etc) can be ran for pennies.

VS the 300 mil loss building hardware, HP is a company looking to increase margins, if they can get their software on other devices, they will have a huge profit margin for low operating costs.

Am I say they can do it? No
    What I am saying is, if they can do it, it will be more profitable.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by CareandShare View Post
    Quote: "WebOS would require significant investments over the next five years, generating risk without clear rewards."

Now again...read this clearly. There are no clear rewards for the owners of this OS. NONE. And even if there were, it requires HUGE investments that not even HP can make.

You think this is what HTC and Samsung are looking to do with their Android profits?
    Did you actually listen to the call? I believe when that was said, it was in regards to the hardware aspect (speaking on the aspect of why they were shuttering the hardware development).
    That's the bottom line. HP is saying that they don't have enough confidence that they're going to be able generate the kind of margins that Wall St. expects in a time frame that Wall St. will tolerate. But moreover, they're saying that might be the case with their entire personal devices business.

This is the kind of short sighted pursuit of profit margins has doomed one company after another. You would think that some day there would be enough busts that companies would learn. The best run companies ignore Wall Street and do what's right for the long term well being of the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    OldSkool: I have always liked and appreciated your contributions, but you are grasping at straws, man.
    Reggie, like I have said around here. I am not saying it will happen and be successful I am only attempting to properly report what was said. Far to many people are grabbing at parts of what Derek posted which is paraphrased and applying it to across the board items.

In the end I am gonna be here for a good 2 more years (wait now someone is gonna tell me P|C will be shuttered in Q4 as well) so I figure I will attempt to get info out there.

As I said, I have the devices, they will get used (my TP has 3 year extended warranty/accidental damage protection). Homebrew won't be dying any time soon, I still have $40 in app credit to spend, etc. I will see what happens in the future, I've got nothing to lose...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    That's the bottom line. HP is saying that they don't have enough confidence that they're going to be able generate the kind of margins that Wall St. expects in a time frame that Wall St. will tolerate. But moreover, they're saying that might be the case with their entire personal devices business.

This is the kind of short sighted pursuit of profit margins has doomed one company after another. You would think that some day there would be enough busts that companies would learn. The best run companies ignore Wall Street and do what's right for the long term well being of the company.
    Agreed and looking at it now, HP probably should have gone straight to licensing after they bought Palm. I am not sure why they thought they could just jump into being the sole source using Palm designs and turn a profit in a year.

I have never been a fan of them licensing the OS, but if this was their business model (problem is I don't think it was a year ago), they should have pursued licensing from day 1, even if they were still going to roll out the Palm designs.
    Hi, Mikah912
    I just want to say I'm sorry for some of my counter posts from end of last year when HP fiasco started. I was one of guys that believed in scale and ****. But soon after initial excitement I become rational, and brought myself to brink of ban here, trying to put some sense in some really stubborn heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    No. If they don't already have one, and announce today, who will be around to develop for it. Had they sold the mobile operations (even for a box of spare cables), maybe. But if they find a partner in 3 months, the world will have moved on.
    Yeah, I've been saying this since the news broke. An announcement any later than today is too late. I don't get why they couldn't stop device production and hold off this announcement until AFTER finding a new partner.
    C-Note and hrminer92 like this.
    I think Leo wanted to kill WebOS, but because corporate politics he had to invest in WebOS death.
    As someone who has been here for more than less than a month (based on your join date). I have heard literally 100's of people on these boards say webOS would be great on HTC or Samsung hardware.

With googlemoto, I wouldn't be surprised to see an HTC or Samsung phone. We will see what happens, I own my devices and will use them until they break and there are no webOS replacements and I have to get it replaced with something else.
    Use these devices to do what? edit docs or spreads? Is our precious unicorn quick office editing dead? Will picsel come to the rescue and rush this machine gun nest? Will we be seeing a quality logmein type of rdp solution now? This absolutely sucks. I wish I could hand deliver my touchpad to Leo the loser personally and ***** slap him.

oh yeah, one more thing..... software development just stopped. Not to be too ugly/cheeky ... but its time to live up to your moniker.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    Use these devices to do what? edit docs or spreads? Is our precious unicorn quick office editing dead? Will picsel come to the rescue and rush this machine gun nest? Will we be seeing a quality logmein type of rdp solution now? This absolutely sucks. I wish I could hand deliver my touchpad to Leo the loser personally and ***** slap him.

oh yeah, one more thing..... software development just stopped. Not to be too ugly/cheeky ... but its time to live up to your moniker.
    software development has not yet stopped, and is being said to be on going. As I continue to say, we will see. I have said multiple times I am not saying this spells success of webOS, all I am saying is my devices function today and will continue to function, the events today did not stop them from functioning. People shouldn't be dropping 100s of dollars on devices that don't fit their needs, then keeping em through their return period and then complaining when something doesn't come that they *need*. I purchase to my needs, I clearly don't need what you do.

Webosinternals didn't shut down today, so I've got the homebrew support I need.

As I said elsewhere, if software development actually shuts down, I will live up to my moniker. I will install ubuntu and use that for the few things I may want that the touchpad currently can't do.

As it is right now, I don't really need full document editing on the TP, and I don't need RDP. If I really needed either of those I would not have bought the hardware until those needs were met. Regardless of the news today, if the device hadn't met my needs, I would have returned it within the 30 day return window I have (I think I am either just over it or maybe have a day or 2 left of my window).
    hrminer92 likes this.
    I'm sure that HP went to HTC and Samsung in the past few days and made a collaboration offer. They probably said no. The fact that HP announced this without partner supports and vague messages of support, means it's over.
    I am no business person, yet, I just can't believe the money HP put into WebOS and the devices over the last year and then pull the plug after one month. No one could have thought they were going to make a profit in one month (of the TP release).
    laoh and angiest like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Deprioritized indefinitely.
    you saw or knew this was coming ahead of time didnt you. you said something to this affect in the veer forum huh.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I'm sorry but many of you are delusional if you think the hardware was the main cause of this fisaco
    chalx likes this.
    KEEP DREAMING!!!
    Aim LOWER!!
    Think about Huawei or ZTE for your high-end.
    For the masses, go for that CHEAP SHANZHAI CHINESE PHONES.
    Seriously, go after them. There are millions of people on Asia and Africa who would be glad to buy phones with these specifications:

1. RESISTIVE Touch Screen.
    2. ANALOG TV Tuner (think PAL or NTSC).
    3. FM Radio.
    4. Internet connection for Email & Facebook. WebOS Synergy is the KILLER Application.
    5. Web Browsing.
    6. Have good Camera for Photo & Video Recording.
    7. Micro SD card & Local Email Storage.
    8. NETWORK unlocked for GSM and CDMA networks ( see:RUIM technology).
    9. Dual or Triple SIM and RUIM card would be a nice bonus.
    10. Finally, retail price of USD 50,00 (FIFTY US Dollars).

That's an the advice of one entrepreneur to a multi billion dollar company CEO.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast