1.    #1  
    what do you need treo mail for if you have pop3?
    Not sure exactly what you're asking. TreoMail is one of a number of clients that allow you to access a POP3 account. It also has the convenience that you can configure it to automatically dial in to check messages every X minutes, and it shows a 'mail waiting' icon on the screen so you can dial in manually if you want.

TM
    I was originally also of the mind "what good is it?". I then went through POP3 email client after client, and was not happy. I eventually subscribed. In a nutshell, here's what I like about TreoMail:

1. Hands-down it integrates with Treo features the best. This makes a big difference to me. I can navigate almost everything with the Jog-dial and keyboard. Email addresses auto-complete. Punctuation/capitalization auto-completes properly (unlike Eudora). It's just better designed from a human-factors engineering standpoint. That's important to me. I get easily aggravated by poor user interface designs.

2. Getting asynchronous notification of arriving emails really changes the email experience. It's very different from constantly polling to see if something has arrived. The "you've got mail" factor.

3. It's fully secure for me. The connection between the TreoMail servers at Handspring and my ATT Broadband account is SSL. The email transmission between my Treo and the Handspring servers is now also SSL (as of version 1.5, I believe).
    Originally posted by spittle
    1. Hands-down it integrates with Treo features the best. This makes a big difference to me. I can navigate almost everything with the Jog-dial and keyboard. Email addresses auto-complete. Punctuation/capitalization auto-completes properly (unlike Eudora). It's just better designed from a human-factors engineering standpoint. That's important to me. I get easily aggravated by poor user interface designs.
    I very much agree with this. It's also especially quick app. It seems like it doesn't use as much processing power and/or memory as some of the other email apps that seem sluggish sometimes.

2. Getting asynchronous notification of arriving emails really changes the email experience. It's very different from constantly polling to see if something has arrived. The "you've got mail" factor.
    This isn't quite as good as it seems I find, because yet it will notify you as soon as you have mail, but that's only as soon as the TreoMail server knows you have mail. The TreoMail server polls your POP3 (or whatever) server at a specific interval and you'll only be notified of new mail when the server finds it. Thus, an application that communicates directly with your mail server can actually get you your mail quicker than TreoMail's server. One dislike I have is that you can't force the TreoMail server to query your mail server when you check for mail. Thus, when you check your mail on your Treo, you may have new mail on your mail server, but it hasn't reached the TreoMail server yet, and thus you don't receive it.

All in all, TreoMail is pretty good, but I find the cost and the lack of the ability to get my new email immediately (as I described above), has prevented me from deciding to subscribe to it.

For now, I'm sticking with BaseJet, which although isn't perfect, is currently free, and is performing pretty well for me.

Josh
    Hi,

Kevin from Handspring here. Even if you have POP3, you need a client to provide access to the POP3 account on your device. Treo Mail is a good choice because itís designed for the Treo, is secure, and integrates well with GPRS and CDMA networks. For more details, you can check out the page below:

Treo Mail overview
    http://www.handspring.com/services/treomail/index.jhtml

Hope that helps clear things up,
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out whatís new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Originally posted by Kevin Michaels
    Treo Mail is a good choice because itís designed for the Treo, is secure, and integrates well with GPRS and CDMA networks
    Hey Kev --

And, um ... how exactly are any of us domestic folks supposed to know that TreoMail integrates well with GPRS networks??!?!? You folks at Handspring are continuing to screw us by not releasing the GPRS patch domestically.

And from what I understand of foreign Treo users (you know, the ones that DO have the GPRS patch?) - they're not allowed to sign up for TreoMail? (maybe I got that part wrong, but I thought I remembered reading it somewhere here)

No bother for me ... I've moved to the SideKick and surprisingly am quite happy with it. Considering I've been loyal to Palm for 6 years, this came as quite a shock.

Major decision factor: Good, wireless email. Period.
    Added bonus: Cheaper.

And yes, I tried TreoMail. Internet and corporate edition. Neither worked - all sorts of registration errors and bugs ... you can read about the problems users have had here I'm sure (if you care about that kind of stuff).

Did I email my issues to support? Yes. They never responded.

And I'm no slouch when it comes to technology. In my job I design and deploy high-end mail server farms (you know, the types of farms companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on) for my clients. I know mail.

(Sorry to hit ya with both barrels, Kev. I'm just very disappointed in Handspring overall since purchasing my Treo 270 - email was the key, and you guys fell horribly short. I was planning on dumping on your guys out at Comdex but - oops - you're not there this year. So, you got it instead. Please don't let my little missive here discourage you from helping others here at treocentral - I think it's a positive thing when vendors are willing to participate on boards such as these).

Regards,

-Doug
    BOOYAH!!

Ouch.

Well, the gloves are off I suppose. This is one of the many reasons I've switched to a TMo XDA (PocketPC). I still like the 270 for the most part, it's just that it's so 'almost there' in so many ways. The XDA is just more fully realized. And removing the TMo software makes it quite stable.

TM
    I too like TreoMail a lot. The one thing I wished it did is handle attachments like with the Dataviz Mail-To-Go program.

I get the attchments from mail when I sync, but I would like to have access to them if I am on the road. Plus, I've got a lot of e-mail on the Treo twice with the 2 programs.
    Kevin, how is Treo Mail version 1.5 different? Does it address some of dtoombs concerns? Thanx in advance.
    Originally posted by rolltide6
    Kevin, how is Treo Mail version 1.5 different? Does it address some of dtoombs concerns? Thanx in advance.
    IMO the single biggest and best improvement in TreoMail in 1.5 is its ability to check email in the background while you're in another app.

On this topic, my Treo often hangs momentarily and then carries on (GPRS upgraded). Is this cos the Treo is stealing processing power doing something that's in the background?

-W
    Will Lau

www.snappermail.com

A Killer Email Client for Palm OS Smartphones, now available...
    kevin, i would like to receive on treo only e maiks I have not read. I am using mindsring. treo behaves as if it copies any e mail that reaches my mindspring account. my current work around is simly empty treo when I leave office. any e mails that I get on treo are then new. is there a better way. thanks
    There is an option in Treo mail for delivering only unread messages. In Treo mail, hit the menu key "/" then go to "options" -> "delivery preferences". You should see a "Delivery only unread messages" option.