Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Amdo
  1.    #1  
    i've got a hard time to believe that best-buy was stupid enough to allegedly have 270k units in stock but lets look at the other number. apparently selling 25k TP's in one month seems to be deemed a bad number. now lets do the math.

    Best-Buy -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter
    Amazon -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming Amazon sold as badly as well)
    Staples -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)
    all others -> 3 x 30k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)

    this would mean selling at least 300k TP's in the first quarter, where the launch wasn't great, pricing was sheit and reviews in press were modest in the best case.

    hmmm...apart from BB having excessive stock, these numbers don't look that bad to me. of course, no comparison to the product from the fruit company but again, considering that almost everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong (pricing, late OTA, late advertising, crummy reviews, etc.) it's not as gloomy as it might look like !!!

    cheer up guys :-)
    sorli likes this.
  2. #2  
    doubtful these are would be the actual sell through numbers, problem is everything is compared to IP-2. its selling 16K a month. So what percent is H/P the biggest PC maker in the world. Should they value the stock up or down based on that. PC sales are going down down down, and tablets are going up up up, so analyst are trying to see what percent of market share HP has, should they downgrade cause HP in future wont make that much money or upgrade if TP is selling as fast as they can make like IP.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    doubtful these are would be the actual sell through numbers, problem is everything is compared to IP-2. its selling 16K a month.
    I think that by mistake you wrote 16k?!?!
    I wish it was only 16k
  4.    #4  
    i guess you meant ip is selling 160k a month...which could be the right number for the US only but still seems too low to me. any analyst that expected TP shipment/sales-out numbers to be similar to IP isn't worth his/her money anyway...
  5. #5  
    Well I'm actually glad they sold crummy. HP needs to step up their game and fix what the reviewers were talking about. No hardware accelerated UI? Plastic back? Laggy experience? These are all things that reviewers complained about when the orginal pre launched... Did they learn nothing?
  6. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #6  
    all I know is that the @hpacadamy tweeted after the 100 rebate that during that weekend the touchpad community doubled. So I'm thinking things can't be so bleak as many have made it out to be...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amdo View Post

    Best-Buy -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter
    Amazon -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming Amazon sold as badly as well)
    Staples -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)
    all others -> 3 x 30k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)

    this would mean selling at least 300k TP's in the first quarter, where the launch wasn't great, pricing was sheit and reviews in press were modest in the best case.
    you must actually believe this since you posted this in 3 different places.

    1. nobody can say each month will have same sales
    2. nobody said amazon, staples, or "all others" sold 25-30k each this month, we simply don't know it, at all.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Well I'm actually glad they sold crummy. HP needs to step up their game and fix what the reviewers were talking about. No hardware accelerated UI? Plastic back? Laggy experience? These are all things that reviewers complained about when the orginal pre launched... Did they learn nothing?
    the back can't be metal. The touchstone won't work.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    you must actually believe this since you posted this in 3 different places.

    1. nobody can say each month will have same sales
    2. nobody said amazon, staples, or "all others" sold 25-30k each this month, we simply don't know it, at all.
    Well, if selling 25000 is a charity number (and you tend to believe that article), it's not hard to think that everyone else is doing that same bad numbers...
    Newness Developments apps:

  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Well, if selling 25000 is a charity number (and you tend to believe that article), it's not hard to think that everyone else is doing that same bad numbers...
    Besides the Ipad, everyone is doing that bad*, at the moment it seems to be true that there is an ipad market not a tablet market - the problem for WebOS is that the sales of Android devices are cumulative, so even if they individually only sell half of the Touchpad, then the overall number of users increases by a greater amount. That in turn attracts developers, content providers and so on and it might snowball from that. Moreover, you have each of those companies trying to attract people to android tablets.

    I actually think that HP has the right idea in that being vertical integrated is the only way that a company can control it's own destiny (plus quality of profits are generally better as are margins), I just think that their implementation isn't so hot at the moment. And because nobody else sells WebOS there is nobody else trying to drive interest - so it all fails on HP's shoulders.


    * Just for contrast to your 25,000 number - in Western Europe, the touchpad sold 12,000 units in the first month of release (@around 4000 a week), at the start of august that has dropped to 800 units.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/18/2011 at 03:12 AM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Well, if selling 25000 is a charity number (and you tend to believe that article), it's not hard to think that everyone else is doing that same bad numbers...
    I believe the numbers, i dont believe imaginations used as numbers.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Well I'm actually glad they sold crummy. HP needs to step up their game and fix what the reviewers were talking about. No hardware accelerated UI? Plastic back? Laggy experience? These are all things that reviewers complained about when the orginal pre launched... Did they learn nothing?
    Palm/HP execs share same position about WebOS quality and level of development with some of most prominent members of this community. In short, seems they are certain that WebOS lacks are in fact a features thus they would never tend to fix those.

Posting Permissions