Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post
    Cool. Great to hear.

There definitely is alot to like about WebOs/TP. My only gripe is, it does not always work 100% (performance wise). I wish the touchpad would just run like a freakin beast, I would have no problem recommending it than.
    Ever seen one overclocked? Mine is. It's as fast as you could possibly want.
    im fine with what i have, cant reccomend it tho till some core apps appear, its liek saying "hey you must have this awesome device that has so much potential, just look at thi.........oh yeah cant do that yet, well nm soon(tm) it will be able to do xyz"

core apps that people have been screaming for should have been out at launch and made before the launch, its not rocket science knowing the little toys and essentials peopel want on other devices, usually thats vnc/rdp/emulators/office apps/social apps.

we got 1 of those at most, facebook :| nto something i can really show a friend to entice them in.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Ever seen one overclocked? Mine is. It's as fast as you could possibly want.
    people keep saying faster/faster/but on my unit at least clocked or underclocked/normal i never see much of a real use difference, and you wont really apart from 3d games/apps (and we have no true native TPad apps of those kinds, just ports/pre stuff), so i dont see the big issue except epeen/bragging rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    people keep saying faster/faster/but on my unit at least clocked or underclocked/normal i never see much of a real use difference, and you wont really apart from 3d games/apps (and we have no true native TPad apps of those kinds, just ports/pre stuff), so i dont see the big issue except epeen/bragging rights.
    I find my TP to be far more usable after overclocking. More specifically, it doesn't get locked up for 10-20 seconds at a time when switching between apps. I feel it is very beneficial (I overclocked my TP and my old Pre+, but did not feel it was necessary with the pre2).
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I find my TP to be far more usable after overclocking. More specifically, it doesn't get locked up for 10-20 seconds at a time when switching between apps. I feel it is very beneficial (I overclocked my TP and my old Pre+, but did not feel it was necessary with the pre2).
    People need to remember, even if overclocking did fix the performance issues, you cant expect the average user to go to such lengths to achieve normal solid performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Since the CPU throttles the speed up and down based on the load, a user probably wouldn't notice it for most things. But it's certainly nice to have the boost.
    I wouldnít recommend the TP. I would inquire how they feel about Apple and if they say they donít like it, I would then probably steer them towards Android.

Polished or not on the tablet, WebOS is still primarily pointed towards WebOS fans.

Not saying that a person with no experience wouldnít walk into a store, play with the tablets and decide they like the TP, just saying that I wouldnít want to have the responsibility of directing them to it only to have them find out they canít use a number of programs that they hear other people using.

Iím a fan of WebOS, but I didnít think their tablet was the best option when it released. I canít in good faith recommend it to someone else.

-Suntan
    TechFan#WN and chalx like this.
    At a local electronics shop, I happened upon a husband and wife perusing the available tablets. They went down through each of the Android tablets and didn't linger any longer than a couple of minutes on each. Then they walked over to the iPad display and spent probably 3 minutes on that, put it down, and then picked up the TouchPad. From that point on, they did not look at anything else.

She kept remarking how easy it was to do things. She was stacking cards and doing all sorts of things. I heard how she liked the thickness and how it felt in her hand.

I walked over to her to help her out because the employee was so inept it was heartbreaking.

I told her about the Pre 3 and the functionality that would bring (ATT).

Since I have both the iPad and the Touchpad, she asked me which I preferred. I told her for developement, my iPad. For daily use, the TouchPad.

That's the best part about the Touchpad. Get it into peoples hands and it sells itself.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I recommended it to family members, gave them my touchpad to play with .. result HP had another sale.
    I can't recommend it until native support for document editing is added. I really would not recommend a tablet in general to any of my family members. They are way more expensive than a netbook and you can get a cheap laptop for the price. That being said if any of my family members wanted a tablet I would recommend they hold off until document editing is added and then buy the Touchpad.
    at the $300 price point it is very compelling vs. The iPad. If you want the apps, obviously its not much of a choice. But for browsing, emailing, chat and calendar the TP is superior. By the time you pay for the iPad apps that's easily another $100. So for double the price I sure hope it does a lot more!
    Yes. This product is butter. Depends on what they need also. If they want to skype or read comics then i reccomend the Ipad or a android tablet. If they want movies then have to five it to the ipad or galaxy tab.

Want a all around great device and will be using cloud storage and may use for work than touchpad.
    It's conditional. If they're an Apple fan, no. Otherwise, yes, unless it can't do something they want.

EDIT: HAHAHAHA! Nevermind!
    Last edited by timjhenry; 08/18/2011 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post
    Question for you guys, would you recommend a Touchpad to a friend over an ipad2, if not why?
    no i couldn't. my reasons why:

lack of mainstream apps. [this alone would keep me from recommending it]
    Lack of mainstream apps on the way
    laggy performance
    Slow App load times and new card load times.
    No rear camera
    lack third party accessory support
    Slow HP roll out of new products.
    I've personally had hp laptop products break so i don't have faith in their build quality.
    A very uncertain future means uncertainty that the above will change and a likely frustrated user. i wouldn't set someone up for that.
    Most of my friends don't know what webos is and have no antiapple attitude. That is they are not hardcore webos people.
    Can't edit documents.
    It's expensive.
    Next to none would be interested in doing homebrew.

i think i have a good idea what satisfies my friends and family. Most are techy, apple haters or Webos diehards. For what they'd want i couldn't recommend a touchpad over ipad 2 or even a galaxy 10.1 They would be very disappointed.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I love mine. I'm not blind to its shortcomings or thin app selection, but it does web and email brilliantly. So my recommendation is conditional. I've encouraged my mom to get one but wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Just those I think would truly be satisfied with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I would recommend it to some, but not all. Depending on why (or if) they want a tablet.
    I'm the same way. I try to think like I believe a good salesperson should. Help them to assess their needs, find out their level of commitment to a particular platform and go from there.
    I would recommend the iPad 2 over the TP, but I disagree with the OP's reasons.

I found my touchpad to be very responsive and quick after the 3.0.2 update. Lag is no issue with me, and I haven't overclocked. Other than my speaker cracking, it felt very solid with no creaking. Perfect screen, perfect glass, great stereo sound, beautiful interface. I really think this thing is second place hands down. Better than Android for the majority of users for sure. webOS is like a gorgeous middleground between complex Android and boring iOS in terms of user interface. People look at it working and they think it's sexy.

When anyone would see my TP for the first time most would say, "Oh, you got an iPad?" I would say, "This is the iPad 3 prototype."
    "Nah, really?"
    "Yes, come here and look at what they've done with multi-tasking and notifications."
    "Woah..."
    "And look at how this Just Type searching works and syngery. Skype is built-in to the phone app."
    "That's awesome."
    "Also it can charge wirelessly."
    "That's badass."

Really if I could change the TP, I wouldn't change much other than thicker plastic at the speaker ports. Tablets are basically a big touch screen. When you are knee-deep in using it, the thickness of the device isn't an issue. I love this thing, but the main reason I don't recommend it is lack of apps. Hands down. Can you edit documents? No. Watch Netflix? No. Play Words with Friends? No. Sure the core of webOS is awesome and for browsing the web and social networking. Hopefully webOS will catch up and gain all the big name apps.

However, at $200 cheaper than the iPad, I will (and did) recommend the TP. That is how I bought mine and that is how I got a friend to buy one.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I would IF
    (a) I can get my browser to work properly and
    (b) it gets a Java VM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12