Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    1a. Release more products - Give the community a variety of products to get excited about. I've read numerous posts about HP needing to train Best Buy staff and while that is true, it really only helps the completely unaware consumer. There are more people that go into the store and ask for an Apple product because they see them in the hands of their friends. In the future HP can offer hardware that looks and feels different but short term they should release products that look like competitors so they can atleast draw attention to their devices (even if it is by confusion(see Samsung))

1b. Stay Current - Going hand in hand with releasing a variety of products, give consumers devices that compete with other platforms. Google was able to crack into a RIM and Apple dominated market by releasing phones with specs that were just better then the competition. If HP doesn't want to put the effort into the handset market then they need to license the rights to Samsung, a company offering some of the best devices on market.

2a. Release WebOS for PC - What better way to get WebOS in the hands of consumers then to offer it to a market you have an established base.

2b. WebOS needs a revolution - WebOS was interesting in the beginning because it was unlike anything else when it came to multitasking. As competitors have begun to catch up, HP/Palm have done little in the way of new innovations. I feel that if HP was to add something to the effect of the MS Kinect functionality to WebOS and bring it to the PC, consumers would give the OS a second look. I think the gestures already in WebOS handsets would translate well to the PC's with this functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by weyenk View Post
    1a. Release more products - Give the community a variety of products to get excited about.

1b. Stay Current - Going hand in hand with releasing a variety of products, give consumers devices that compete with other platforms.

2a. Release WebOS for PC - What better way to get WebOS in the hands of consumers then to offer it to a market you have an established base.

2b. WebOS needs a revolution - WebOS was interesting in the beginning because it was unlike anything else when it came to multitasking. As competitors have begun to catch up, HP/Palm have done little in the way of new innovations. I feel that if HP was to add something to the effect of the MS Kinect functionality to WebOS and bring it to the PC,
    #1a - not really. If you don't sell a few products well, you won't do any better with more than one, and there is no incentive for carriers or retailers to use up precious shelf space. Two compelling phones and a single compelling tablet would be enough. At this point their best strategy is to offer better value and not try to compete since the spec you can't engineer away is depth of applications.

#1b Right on! - even if you have to trash a production run to catch up to the prioducty cycle of the competition.

#2a no value there ...except to fans - Think the mobile market is tough. unless you are willing to spend BILLIONS, there is no point in trying to breach the PC OS market. Has anyone been successful there yet? That is money better spent in getting webOS to run a single application compatible version on all platforms (all phones, AND tablets) thay would provide a bigger customer base for developers.

#2b The revolution has ended - Google, Apple, and Microsoft are not making their money by revolution (actually Google and Microsoft are not making money at all from their Mobile OS's yet, but that is another discussion.)
    The easy money is gone, Palm had the last crack at that in 2009 and failed to capitalize. To succeed, it will take a strong stomach, a willingness to accept short term setbacks, and a ecosystem which is visibly (in the eyes of the consumer) and consistently improving. In other words - hard work and smart marketing. Don't know if HP has any of those attributes at this point. I hope so, but time will tell.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    1a. I site the motorola example. Before the Droid, Moto was considered dead in the handset market. Then within a couple months of each other they released the Droid, Droid Devour, Backflip, and Cliq. Granted on the Droid was a hit but that alone catapulted them back into relevance. As far as the apps go, before the Droid sold over 1 million units, google made the best apps in the market. It was superior apps created by google that kept people from returning their phones. Maybe HP should dump some resources into artificially stimulating the app catalog.

2a. I wasn't talking about selling WebOS on the PC. I'm talking about releasing is free to the public and sell it with consumer products like Dell did with the Ubuntu. It would have to be packaged with wine to ensure it will work with Windows software. The first company to seamlessly integrate PC, Tablet and Handset, at a low cost, will win the business environment for the next 10 years, which MS and Blackberry have shown in the previous 10 years, will spill over into the consumer market.

2b. Apple didn't make money with the imac/ipod/iphone/ipad/macbook air? All of those devices got praised as being revolutionary. Google doesn't make money from selling Android, that you are correct. To think that they don't see additional revenue in ad sales from the Android platform is preposterous. No company, big or small, dumps the resources google has into android without seeing returns.
    First and foremost, I think, HP needs to identify a niche and fill it well to establish a beachhead in this battle. It's been said before, but PIM/productivity seems the most logical choice here. It flows logically from the synergy and cloud focus HP has espoused and is directly from Palm's roots. More importantly, to date NOBODY does PIM well anymore. Additionally, these are core features that HP's enterprise sales force could tout when pushing their products.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    First and foremost, I think, HP needs to identify a niche and fill it well to establish a beachhead in this battle. It's been said before, but PIM/productivity seems the most logical choice here. It flows logically from the synergy and cloud focus HP has espoused and is directly from Palm's roots. More importantly, to date NOBODY does PIM well anymore. Additionally, these are core features that HP's enterprise sales force could tout when pushing their products.
    I tend to agree. Given Palm's history I'm still amazed they seem to be ignoring the PIM apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    I tend to agree. Given Palm's history I'm still amazed they seem to be ignoring the PIM apps.
    Floored me two years ago: I just COULD NOT believe that the phone manufacturer that was such an incredible rock star at this would create a new line that handled it so badly--or didn't even include it.

still blows me away.

But I don't think they have time to make *that* a distinguishing feature anymore. They were the kings at it, but it's been so long, I think synergy and music in cloud, might be their main unique feature set, if they get it going.

I don't think it's a professional's phone anymore.
    Palm no longer exists.
    The only thing I think they need to do is be more vocal about release dates and not keep everyone waiting. With no one knowing whats going on, HP is just a silent company where no one knows anything about their products and just find out about them when they see the first commercial. If they would just let people know what they will be releasing and when specifically, people may start building up a hype instead of getting all hateful.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Ever since HP bought out Palm last year it does not exist.
    what they needed and we said a LONG LONG LONG time ago... is a killer phone with killer specs... and commercials with robots and explosions taking over the earth...

but that didn't happen and people weren't excited..... AGAIN

Oh well... i'll get new blackberry on Sprint... and maybee an iPad (can't do iPhone but i may)

Any developer want an Unlocked Pre2?
  11. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Too late now....
    Well, this was coming up, HP brought Palm because it looked promising... as promising as it is it needs managing and obviously HP hoped it will manage itself somehow by itself ... I mean... this guys have money to spend, they spent it, now they don't like the stuff and they trow it away... its that simple
    As a company HP sucks... I mean, they are a big stable HUGE giant that eats mould in the forest, they are not used to fast changes.. and this market is rapidly changing and growing... webos is great, but HP does not have what it takes to make it succcessful...

regards.
    youtube.com/watch?v=BCgB5fITxA4&t=2m34s