Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Oh wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  2.    #3  
    My thoughts exactly.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I doubt that it is that bad in reality.
    Not surprised at all.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Such is life.
    moved to news forum.

I sure hope this report isn't accurate. I doubt bestbuy bought that many, but time will tell.
    wow, only 25,000 units sold? maybe they'll take $200 off.
    it would be better than taking them back.
    a 16 gb for $200 would be a great deal.
    heads will roll at hp for not deciding early on to licence webos
    Mr._Happy likes this.
    damn that sure isnt smh. Bad way to start the revival of webos. IMO Hp keeps messing upwith the timing as Palm did in the past. Why release a small tiny phone in the veer first to start to upstart Webos, and give consumers more of a reason to avoid webos when what is in currently are high end slab phones? why then construct a tablet made out of cheap plastic, and heavy when the competiton is going for the stream line look, especially when you make products like the envy, and pavillion line? Why release it when the device is still laggy and buggy letting reviewers bash it, only to release a update weeks later saying really they could have waited. Why not release the Pre 3 out the gate (running webos 2.0 in feb or march) instead of let it sit to try and optimize a version of webos, that no one cares about because most dont even remember what webos is? As well as this is def going to hamper new developers jumping aboard, as well as other carriers wanting to carry 4G version of this, or smartphones smh. the strategy that HP has done so far is what is killing webos. To me to only remedy the situation is to go fast and license out webos to venders like samsung, and HTC (if they still can at this point) allowing them to make smartphones (which is what is going to get webos back in the game, and has always had). Make devices that the public wants (slabs, 4 inch and up screens). Otherwise its going to keep being a bumping ride for HP and webos. They really need to get their act together and asap. I myself love my touchpad, and dont regret buying one, and wont be returning it. Though i did so because I know about webos since purchasing the original pre on launch day on sprint. The difference between me and everyone else is that I know about webos, they dont.
    BobKy and Herk_FE like this.
    Man, if these things aren't selling even after the price drop and they're talking about what to do about the excess stock at the executive level...
    You can't blame this completely on a device (no matter what company). No one has any money. Seriously. Not turning this political in any way, but look at the economy... everyone is just trying to get by right now, so retail sales of everything are in the toilet. Clothing companies, electronics companies, and others are all suffering from tons of unsold items. If a 'luxury item' like coffee sales are dropping hard - electronics devices for several hundred dollars simply won't sell if people don't have cash. I'm not making excuses at all for HP or any company. But I sold high-end audio/video during the last recession and damn near starved because people simply didn't have the extra spending money. The economy sucks right now world-wide. It might be a different story if the economy were stronger - but hard to sell expensive items when the markets keep losing every day.
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    Yahoo cites AllThingsD.
    AllThingsD cites anonymous sources who claim to have an insight. (this could be anybody.)
    Best Buy declines a comment.

Yeah. "officially."

Interesting though that BestBuy hasn't been able to sell any - because they were all sold out just a couple of days ago? There were a few threads about that.

Maybe they kept 269.950 in a warehouse, put 50 in the stores, sold those and never replaced them?
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    apple is selling every ipad they can make. the economy sucks but people are finding a way to buy and they you can see they are willing to pay the price for an ipad or mac air, etc to make apple the most valuable company in the world.

even motorola sold more playbooks if this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You can't blame this completely on a device (no matter what). No one has any money. Seriously. Not turning this political in any way, but look at the economy... everyone is just trying to get by right now, so retail sales of everything are in the toilet. Clothing companies, electronics companies, and others are all suffering from tons of unsold items. If a 'luxury item' like coffee sales are dropping hard - electronics devices for several hundred dollars simply won't sell if people don't have cash. I'm not making excuses at all for HP or any company. But I sold high-end audio/video during the last recession and damn near starved because people simply didn't have the extra spending money. The economy sucks right now world-wide. It might be a different story if the economy were stronger - but hard to sell expensive items when the markets keep losing every day.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You can't blame this completely on a device (no matter what company). No one has any money. Seriously. Not turning this political in any way, but look at the economy... everyone is just trying to get by right now, so retail sales of everything are in the toilet. Clothing companies, electronics companies, and others are all suffering from tons of unsold items. If a 'luxury item' like coffee sales are dropping hard - electronics devices for several hundred dollars simply won't sell if people don't have cash. I'm not making excuses at all for HP or any company. But I sold high-end audio/video during the last recession and damn near starved because people simply didn't have the extra spending money. The economy sucks right now world-wide. It might be a different story if the economy were stronger - but hard to sell expensive items when the markets keep losing every day.
    But other companies with products in the same space the TouchPad competes in are seeing record sales every quarter.
    Herk_FE and milominderbinde like this.
    It's probably more accurate to say that Best Buy didn't sell any TouchPads. They sure as **** didn't sell mine to me, and I've never witnessed anyone at BB selling them to anybody else, either.
    wait, ordered 270k, reports 25k in sales and its "more than 200k" in stock. The 25k doesn't count returns... I would think a properly written piece of journalism to report that as more than 240k in stock, before returns.

I would say if BB ordered that many up front, they vastly over ordered with the amount of retailers involved with HP. That buy would suggest a few million in projected sales in'NA alone in the first month's launch.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    yeah i was gonna comment... it is interesting the news comes out a day before hp earnings is announced. cause news like this is not gonna help before opening... on top of dell disappointing with their conference call today.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Yahoo cites AllThingsD.
    AllThingsD cites anonymous sources who claim to have an insight. (this could be anybody.)

Yeah. "officially."

Interesting though that BestBuy hasn't been able to sell any - because they were all sold out just a couple of days ago? There were a few threads about that.

Maybe they kept 269.950 in a warehouse, put 50 in the stores, sold those and never replaced them?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Yahoo cites AllThingsD.

Yeah. "officially."

Yeah, I wanna see more reputable sources before drawing conclusions. But watch as this story goes all over the web regardless of the seemingly shaky backing.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    It's probably more accurate to say that Best Buy didn't sell <b>any</b> TouchPads. They sure as **** didn't sell mine to me, and I've never witnessed anyone at BB selling them to anybody else, either.
    truth
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    prdamrican#AC likes this.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast