Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Like Tree84Likes
    i've got a hard time to believe that best-buy was stupid enough to allegedly have 270k units in stock but lets look at the other number. apparently selling 25k TP's in one month seems to be deemed a bad number. now lets do the math.

Best-Buy -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter
    Amazon -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming Amazon sold as badly as well)
    Staples -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)
    all others -> 3 x 30k = 90k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)

this would mean selling at least 315k TP's in the first quarter, where the launch wasn't great, pricing was sheit and reviews in press were modest in the best case.

hmmm...apart from BB having excessive stock, these numbers don't look that bad to me. of course, no comparison to the product from the fruit company but again, considering that almost everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong (pricing, late OTA, late advertising, crummy reviews, etc.) it's not as gloomy as it might look like !!!

cheer up guys :-)
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Not surprised at all. I agree with others that best buy is the worst place to sell touchpad. Display units are mostly non-functioning or dead battery and sluggish as hell with that demo app running. No Internet access or even app catalog working to check which apps are available. I am quite aware of all the shortcomings and apps available but every time I see someone hop on touchpad only to find out nothing has been working!

I was showing my gf hp veer and best buy rep cones over and says do not buy this phone! but if your own reps don't want to sell or have n clue what they are selling, you can't blame hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amdo View Post
    Best-Buy -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter
    Amazon -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming Amazon sold as badly as well)
    Staples -> 3 x 25k = 75k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)
    all others -> 3 x 30k = 90k TP's this quarter (assuming the extra $100 voucher helped)

this would mean selling at least 315k TP's in the first quarter, where the launch wasn't great, pricing was sheit and reviews in press were modest in the best case.
    Your math has way too many assumptions to be credible.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    Not surprised at all. I agree with others that best buy is the worst place to sell touchpad. Display units are mostly non-functioning or dead battery and sluggish as hell with that demo app running. No Internet access or even app catalog working to check which apps are available. I am quite aware of all the shortcomings and apps available but every time I see someone hop on touchpad only to find out nothing has been working!

I was showing my gf hp veer and best buy rep cones over and says do not buy this phone! but if your own reps don't want to sell or have n clue what they are selling, you can't blame hp.
    Hp put on that demo, not bb, hp made the demo unit without a profile, which prevent it from getting update or maybe entering app catalog.

Dont misplace the blame.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Hp put on that demo, not bb, hp made the demo unit without a profile, which prevent it from getting update or maybe entering app catalog.

Dont misplace the blame.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Retailers are responsible for setting up promotional material. When I worked in staples, we received a plan-o-gram to set up a promotion to spec, which we were to follow to the letter. My manager did a great job of making sure that everything was according to the spec, and if there was a dead unit, we fixed it. Obviously Best Buy doesn't give a rip, so that's the result.
    Mr._Happy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Retailers are responsible for setting up promotional material. When I worked in staples, we received a plan-o-gram to set up a promotion to spec, which we were to follow to the letter. My manager did a great job of making sure that everything was according to the spec, and if there was a dead unit, we fixed it. Obviously Best Buy doesn't give a rip, so that's the result.
    then why frys and bb's demo units have exactly same demo app?

and we have a resident HP rep stated here in this forum that demo unit is designed to not have a profile associated to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    then why frys and bb's demo units have exactly same demo app?

and we have a resident HP rep stated here in this forum that demo unit is designed to not have a profile associated to it.
    he is speaking to the quality/functionality of the demo units, for example them being on a basically functional regardless of the os version. I have been to 2 gets, both demos have functioned just fine (unlike the BB demos that couldn't even be turned on). I am not and will not argue this point just clarifying what he was saying.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Went to Frys earlier today, they had a single Touchpad on display for demo. When I first handled it, it appeared to be locked up (it was running 3.0.2).

I did a quick reset, it came back up and proceeded to give it a go. Not sure why, but there was quite a bit of lag throughout the entire experience.

I asked the guy that was working the tablet section of they've sold many and he said he wasn't too sure, he personally hasn't seen any sold but he's experienced a few people play with it for a few minutes and then leave looking confused and/or frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    OMG, too funny. I think I had food stamps on the brain because I was just talking with a guy I work with and he was saying exactly what you just said. He wished he could get food stamps so he could buy Lobster... he he
    Yeah, having to use food stamps is really excellent, I hear.

There but for the grace of God ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    True, but don't forget, Microsoft bailed apple out from going into receivership previously, so things weren't always rosy for Apple. I think MS owns a fair amount of shares of Apple, so they must be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Microsoft doesnt own those Apple shares anymore.

BTW, this was over 15 years ago, back when Jobs came back & Apple was still in the process of suing MS over their blatant ripoff of Mac OS (back in the 80s). Instead of carrying that dog fight on, they settled on some cross-licensing of each other's patents & MS investing in a few non-voting shares of Apple stock.

Point is, it wasn't anything major or a "bail out" or anything like that. Just the end of a long beef between the two companies.
    And LOL at people blaming crappy sales on Best Buy's display units. You all never stop do you.

I guess Best Buy's displays was also the reason why online retailers aren't selling any either, eh guys?? I also blame them for Palm nearly going bankrupt & having to be bought out, why many of us are still rockin a Pre/Pixi years later, why the Veer was a flop, why they can't even release a Pre 3, why there's no apps, etc etc.

The displays! Yes, its those damn displays' fault!!
    This thread has wandered all over the place to the point it simply has no more left.

<closed>
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789