Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    best buy....you didn't try...alot of other venue's are selling them well

you fiqured HP will sell itself and when i called a couple of stores you didn't even know what you have...and tried to push me an Ipad....shame on you best buy
    1 out of the 6 local best buys is SOLD OUT of the 32 gig. If BB is sitting on 240,000 TP's they are doing a horrible job of product management.

Not saying it's huge sales, but to sit on a quarter million of inventory and have a store ANYWHERE sold out would be insane. The numbers in the article don't add up as has been said by multiple folks, and yes I spent extensive time in retail management and do understand how it works.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Sad, sad news. Can't say i'm surprised though.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Edit: I went across to the HP Developer forum to see what developers made of this and I found them talking about 'evil precentral' - huh? what's all that about?
    it's probably a reference to the troll complainer threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    best buy....you didn't try...alot of other venue's are selling them well

you fiqured HP will sell itself and when i called a couple of stores you didn't even know what you have...and tried to push me an Ipad....shame on you best buy
    According to the same article, it cites lackluster sales elsewhere.

There's more. TouchPad sales aren’t only failing to catch on at Best Buy, but also at other retailers, including Wal-Mart, Micro Center and Fry’s, says analyst Rich Doherty, head of the Envisioneering Group. Doherty says that spot interviews at stores on both coasts show that HP’s “wildcat pricing moves” on the TouchPad have prompted consumers to wait and see what happens in the next few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    apple is selling every ipad they can make. the economy sucks but people are finding a way to buy and they you can see they are willing to pay the price for an ipad or mac air, etc to make apple the most valuable company in the world.

even motorola sold more playbooks if this is true.
    Does Motorla make the playbook?

Apple was selling every ipad they could make for a long time. Another great Apple launch as usual. For the last month and a half though I have noticed stock on all flavors in the local Atlanta stores I frequent. This was not the case moving out of May into June. I notice this because a) I was trying to buy an ipad as a promotional (shhh, don't tell Jobs, they forbid this.... jizbuckets) and b) I would start to look for the Touchpad area etc.

The ipad is a fantastic piece of engineering, but then you try to do something basic on it like delete a photo and it does not let you because it was put there with iTunes. Ridiculous. But their marketing is second to none. They have rewritten the books or are in the process.... Keep lapping it up sheeple.

What was my point?? Oh yeah, even Apple's sales have slowed down. What do you expect from an administration that considers food stamps a serious form of stimulus? Ohhhh Jeeeeezzzzzish.... there I went. ;-)
    sorry... blackberry. brainfart.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    Does Motorla make the playbook?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the guy at all things D sold a bunch of HP stock short and he is just trying to cover his positions.
    I think this may be the case. I posted a comment on the article last night suggesting the same thing and now it's gone. I had a feeling it would probably get deleted so I took a screen shot of it.

Edit-Pic Removed

If you look at the page now, you'll see my comment is gone, as well as "Steve Jobs" comment, which was flagged for review. I also replied to a comment by the author, asking why my comment was removed. I wonder if he'll reply.

Edit-Pic Removed

Edit- I removed the pics after they followed up with me on my second comment, and pointed me to their commenting policy. I'll drop my whole financial conspiracy theory. However, I still think the numbers he reported are an exaggeration.
    Last edited by Smartfah; 08/17/2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Removed pics and updated my comments.
    dj ozone likes this.
    Best Buy has never been the place it is cracked up to be. You have high school sales reps who only know to find what they need in the bathroom. They have no training and are of no help when it comes to any product that they are not addicted to like gaming systems, and Apple products. They know about these thing because they use them most of the time they are not working and can tell you everything about them. But go to the audio section and ask about features on a good home theater receiver, is it HDMI pass through or active processing, they don't have a clue what you are talking about. The same is true in the computer area, if you don't know what you are looking for, good luck, and this applies to laptops, computers, and especially tablets. These geeks know all about Apple because they own an iPod, iPhone and an iPad and have probably used all their pay to upgrade to each new revision. They steer you to the Apple display, and tout all the great features. While the TouchPad display is in total disarray. Units with dead batteries and not plugged in, units frozen, and reps who do not know what to do to get them functioning, this is not fiction, this is Best Buy in Albuquerque. No matter which store. I'm a very knowledgeable person, 60 who has worked in tech my entire life. It is embarrassing to see how pathetic the TouchPad display areas are in the Best Buys here. I am totally not surprised they are not selling. Best Buy is not where HP should have put much faith in getting sales. They rate a C or worse for thier total experience. Their staff is not savy on anything they sell, except as previously stated their addiction devices. It is pathetic. HP has to ramp up TV advertising to match Apple, get their trainers moving and require that Best Buy and other retailers have specific staff trained in WebOS and TouchPad, and WebOS phones. If they do not do this, the road goes down the old Palm highway. I thought HP would really put the shine on the apple, no pun intended when they released this. A multi million dollar high gloss campaign aimed at the 30 and under crowd, the folks you need buying anything to succeed. Did not happen. I fear the TouchPad is doomed. HP is not going to show patience in my opinion. They want profit, and quickly. Their other products sell and they are highly profitable. TouchPad will get the side door treatment within the next year IMHO.
    What are you talking about Food Stamps ARE a serious stimulus!!!...i would love to be getting some food stamps right about now! I would be in the supermarket buying lobster and crab with my food stamps and at Best Buy purchasing a TouchPad with my real money!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleKeg View Post
    What was my point?? Oh yeah, even Apple's sales have slowed down. What do you expect from an administration that considers food stamps a serious form of stimulus? Ohhhh Jeeeeezzzzzish.... there I went. ;-)
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]I think this may be the case. I posted a comment on the article last night suggesting the same thing and now it's gone. I had a feeling it would probably get deleted so I took a screen shot of it.

You are surprised that they removed unsubstantiated libel against the author? really?
    Smartfah, anyone trying to manipulate the stock market -- specifically HP-- by spreading fear and doubt about the TP either doesnt understand the market, or more likely, doesn't realize how tiny webOS as a business unit is to the rest of the company.
    I love a good conspiracy too but you have to wonder which scenario is more likely: there is a concerted effort to create the illusion of poor TouchPad sales that involves stores pretending to not sell it, customers pretending to not buy it, and HP pretending to slash the price after 30 days all to benefit one man's portfolio...or people just don't want to buy a niche tablet when there are better options available.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    What are you talking about Food Stamps ARE a serious stimulus!!!...i would love to be getting some food stamps right about now! I would be in the supermarket buying lobster and crab with my food stamps and at Best Buy purchasing a TouchPad with my real money!
    OMG, too funny. I think I had food stamps on the brain because I was just talking with a guy I work with and he was saying exactly what you just said. He wished he could get food stamps so he could buy Lobster... he he
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You are surprised that they removed unsubstantiated libel against the author? really?
    I'm not surprised they removed it. I had a feeling they would remove it, that's why I took a screen shot of it. But the author responded to other comments as well. If he doesn't own HP stock, he could have just rebutted my comment they way he did the person in my second screen shot, but he didn't.

If he does own HP stock, then he shouldn't have written the article; or at the very least included a disclaimer that he does own shares of HP. I'm not the only person that thinks the author had different motives. You can look at "Steve Jobs" comment which was deleted as well, and he wasn't as direct as me on saying the author put a short on HP stock.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Smartfah, anyone trying to manipulate the stock market -- specifically HP-- by spreading fear and doubt about the TP either doesnt understand the market, or more likely, doesn't realize how tiny webOS as a business unit is to the rest of the company.
    The market is driven by emotion and fear more than anything else (at least short term anyway). If this article is followed up with low sales #'s for the TouchPad on HP's conference call, it will be enough to cause HP's stock price to take a dip. Even if it's only a few dollars, that may be enough for someone to profit from a short sale on HP stock.

In the end, I don't know what the authors motives were. It just rose my suspicion more when he deleted my comment. He responded to other comments that questioned the accuracy of his reported sales #'s; but rather than replying to my comment and affirming that he has no financial interest in HP, he just removed my post (as well as "Steve Jobs" post, which sort of hinted at it as well).
    This thread needs some serious moderation. The junk talk is so far off topic, it's impossible to read.
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I'm not surprised they removed it. I had a feeling they would remove it, that's why I took a screen shot of it. But the author responded to other comments as well. If he doesn't own HP stock, he could have just rebutted my comment they way he did the person in my second screen shot, but he didn't.
    Its not uncommon for posts which spoof the name of a public figure -- unless its spoofed in a way that its clearly not trying to BE that person--to be removed from most forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Its not uncommon for posts which spoof the name of a public figure -- unless its spoofed in a way that its clearly not trying to BE that person--to be removed from most forums.
    Yeah, they replied to me and pointed me to their commenting policy. Based on what I said, and accusations I made against the author, they reserve the right to remove my comment if they choose.

I guess I'll lay off my whole conspiracy theory. I still think the numbers he reports are an exaggeration though.
    The WSJ has some pretty stringent ethics statements and disclosure policies. The author of this article, for example, discloses:

First and foremost I don’t own any tech stocks directly, and never have.
    However, I do own shares in two companies. First, I own a small number of shares in The McGraw-Hill Companies, which I acquired while I was employed there during the years the the company owned BusinessWeek magazine. I also own a single-digit number of shares in Travelzoo, an Internet travel company, dating back to a 1998 publicity stunt when its founders gave away shares (and which I should probably sell).

Beyond those two cases, I avoid directly owning shares in publicly trade companies.
    I'd imagine he's probably telling the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The WSJ has some pretty stringent ethics statements and disclosure policies. The author of this article, for example, discloses:

I'd imagine he's probably telling the truth.
    Yeah, I noticed. And they followed up with me as well on why my original comment was removed. I updated my previous post in the thread, and I'm dropping my whole financial conspiracy theory. Though I still think the sales #'s that he reports are off.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast