Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Right, it's not surprising that people aren't buying TouchPads. It's just jarring to see numbers like 100 tablets sold in a fairly tech savvy nation like the UK.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    When I visited a local BestBuy store over the weekend, I noticed the TouchPad on display was dead. The USB port looked like someone had taken a screwdriver to it and even if it wasn't damaged, the cable didn't have any power going to it. The display model at Sam's Club wasn't much better. It was on, but appeared to have gotten run into an error on boot and had some error message running down the side. The device was on one end of the display and the rest of the space was taken up by three iPads.
    The one at my Sams was dead and the metal end of the USB cord was gone so there was no way to power it up. The Sams worker did come to me and asked if I had any questions about the TP and when I told him I had wanted to try the TP out but couldn't, he tried to direct me to the other tablets instead. I told him if I was going to get a tablet, it'd be the TP due to it being able to multi-task and he replied that that was a good point.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That the intitial sales push died off - I think the wider point is that it's very hard (leaving aside the ipad which is simply in a category of its own when it comes to sales) to sell an OS based around a single tablet. Every month, three more Android tablets arrive with better specs and you simply get swamped by the buzz around those devices.

Edit: I went across to the HP Developer forum to see what developers made of this and I found them talking about 'evil precentral' - huh? what's all that about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Yes, when I bought mine from Best Buy, he had to go in the back and didn't have any 32GB left. I think I smell BS somewhere here. If Best Buy had that much inventory, then howcome they don't have certain models in stock when you buy them? Doesn't make sense.
    My guess is that there were inventory shortages during the "soft launch" and then HP loaded the channels for the "hard launch."

By the way, is the "hard launch" still underway (i.e., not completed)? That might explain why there's a lot of inventory left (just kidding).
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    My guess is that there were inventory shortages during the "soft launch" and then HP loaded the channels for the "hard launch."

By the way, is the "hard launch" still underway (i.e., not completed)? That might explain why there's a lot of inventory left (just kidding).
    Possible, stock is always refreshed, nobody is saying bb received 200 unit in each store in one batch from day 1.

Its past the time of trying to deny bad news, its time to learn lessons and hopefully do better next round.
    I dun really know how American retail outlet do business. But giants like BB and HP with their long working relationship wouldn't have require BB to buys and pays for all those many TP in stocks do they? Especially when the TP is not exclusive BB only.

While I dun doubt the sales is rather poor, I doubt this story about BB wants to return the stocks they already bought from HP.
  7. Hem
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Right, it's not surprising that people aren't buying TouchPads. It's just jarring to see numbers like 100 tablets sold in a fairly tech savvy nation like the UK.
    Not really. I'm one of the 100 and I've not seen a whisper about the Touchpad anywhere. The only advert I've heard about is a 1 page advert in the Metro (a free newspaper on public transport all around the UK). I've not seen a single poster or advertisement. The only form of advertising I've seen other than this is on the HP UK facebook page where they've given away a few Touchpads.

I've seen the Touchpad in a few electronics retailers - Best Buy, Carphone Warehouse, Currys - but none of the staff know anything about it and it's not prominently displayed anywhere.

Not really a surprise that they've only sold 100 Touchpads in the UK when nobody has ever heard of it. I'd put good money down that the majority of those sold belong to P|C members and we're still getting the short end of the stick when it comes to apps etc. The whole $50 voucher to buy apps for early adopters was apparently meant to be coming to the UK but I've not heard anything about it and I had mine days before the official release date.

Pretty poor form on HP's part. Making me seriously doubt whether to get a Pre 3 when the chances of any decent support are slim to none.

Love my Touchpad but I don't expect to see one in anyone's hands any time soon.
    I still maintain what I said before about the TouchPad. Their biggest mistake is to sit on their a** with the Pre3 and the Veer OTA update for TTS. The phones were needed to show the unique features of the TouchPad to set it aside from the other dime a dozen tablets out there, let alone one that the browser doesn't even work properly.
    if I wasn't a big palm supporter I wouldn't have bought one either after seeing how display units (and the real units too) struggle to launch apps.

when I went to best buy to check it out I tried to open some apps and it was the same or worse as the original Pre running at 500 MHZ.

I tried to open photos and it took way too long, then quick office and it took what seemed like ten minutes. If I was just a regular customer I would have just moved on.

I don't understand why they don't let apps go full screen immediately and then have that spinning thing while it does what it has to do. That way it won't look like its failing to launch the app.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I still maintain what I said before about the TouchPad. Their biggest mistake is to sit on their a** with the Pre3 and the Veer OTA update for TTS. The phones were needed to show the unique features of the TouchPad to set it aside from the other dime a dozen tablets out there, let alone one that the browser doesn't even work properly.
    It's a good idea but then you add complexity to the supply chain because you need the retailer to sell both together *and* next to each other - hard to do TTS when the phone is chained to a counter on the other side of the store or is simply not being sold by that retailer.

I think HP would have to pay for specific POS kiosks to pull that one off.
    It would be interesting to see sales numbers from other tablets over the same period. In the end, only the iPad is having really great sales numbers. I'm sure the Galaxy Tab is doing ok too. I saw BGR said even the ASUS Transformer had 30% of its stock left on 700,000 products that shipped between May and July. That still averages out to around 163,000 sold every month which doesn't sound too bad. If HP sold even 75,000/month that would be somewhat encouraging since the tablet market is still quite small especially if your company is not named Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I saw BGR said even the ASUS Transformer had 30% of its stock left on 700,000 products that shipped between May and July. That still averages out to around 163,000 sold every month which doesn't sound too bad.
    I heard asus is expect to ship 400,000 each month because of "great sales". Can you dug a link for the 30% stock statement? I couldnt find it at bgr.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    We can all keep speculating and guessing. We HAVE to wait and see.

Honestly there is some truth to the report. Maybe HP isn't selling as well as we thought BUT come on, Best Buy ordering 275k worth of touchpads....

I really hope HP surprises us because Staples has RUN out, Amazon has been selling WELL, and so did Office Depot.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I heard asus is expect to ship 400,000 each month because of "great sales". Can you dug a link for the 30% stock statement? I couldnt find it at bgr.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    'Non-Apple' tablet makers forced to cut prices following weak sales
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Its past the time of trying to deny bad news, its time to learn lessons and hopefully do better next round.
    Of course "it's time", after all there's been one whole unsubstantiated sensationalized story. It's gotta be true.
    /sarcasm
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    The difference is Android tabs are cutting prices due to manufacturer competition within the segment. Android tabs are selling and have already shaved 20% of the tab market away from Apple.

The TP is cutting prices because it is not shaving enough customers away from Apple or Android.

And seriously just look at Amazon's sales ranking the TP went from #1 to #14 in less then a week and it's still falling. The TP needs to be at 299 to draw enough people away from Icrap or Android to build its customer base. Or 399 with a Touchstone and case included.
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    The difference is Android tabs are cutting prices due to manufacturer competition within the segment. Android tabs are selling and have already shaved 20% of the tab market away from Apple.

The TP is cutting prices because it is not shaving enough customers away from Apple or Android.

20%.... That seems pretty high given that Apple has sold almost 25 million iPads. Even with all the different Android tablets out there, that number doesn't add up. I think only the Galaxy Tab has actually sold in the millions. Even if Android tablets have combined to sell something like 5 or 6 millions. That still means the other tablets aren't selling well since most of those numbers are skewed to one tablet.
    We will know for sure after the HP earnings call tomorrow. If HP only reports devices shipped and not sold (which I bet they do), then sales are bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdamrican View Post
    It's odd that there are so many Best Buy horror stories regarding the Touchpad. I for one, am still waiting to be notified by Best Buy that my pre-ordered unit is in and ready to be picked up. (In the mean time, Amazon delivers. Now THOSE are the numbers I would check).
    I'm starting to wonder if this isn't more of an indication that people realize that Best Buy isn't all it is cracked up to be. I am also waiting to hear that my pre-order is available. The customer service is terrible, when you are actually able to get one of the "sales" people to talk to you. I think the online retailers and places like Fry's are where the consumers are going.
    Palm M105--->Palm Tungsten T--->Palm Treo 650--->Palm Centro--->Palm Pre--->Palm iPhone4s (damnit)

Touchpad (launch day)
    prdamrican#AC likes this.
    Thanks, and thats with high screen resolution, high visible brand OS, HDMI, microSD, and $399 price tag.

There is no $499 tablet market, thats what it shows.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast