Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    you know if i were working at a best buy and someone wanted to consider a tablet... the touchpad wouldnt be the first choice i'd recommend...

if the person is a newbie or elderly person with little 'interweb' knowledge... i'm pushing ya to the ipad.

if you are a person that wants the best specs out there and you are still harping about flash... samsung 10.1 for ya buddy.

i feel that apps between the two are not an issue at this point. the latest apps seem to go to get to both of them now a days.

if you are a person that is tired of ios or android and want something new and cool but willing to live with a few negatives and be patient and wait for updates to fix current bugs (before the first OTA) and wait for apps... if i think you really understand what you are getting into... i'm gonna push the touchpad on ya. cause i dont want you coming back and complaining you werent aware of this and that being missing from the tp.

and you guys that give grief to newbies that come here and say, it's stupid there is no rear camera or no camera app or no doc editing or not enough apps.... and then you tell them you should have known what you were buying and tell them to return it... so dont give me any lip about my views above

the touchpad wasnt perfect at softlaunch and for 30 days after that. and hard to justify the same price as ipad2 or 10.1 with back of the pack specs and no apps.

the sales people are in that same position and they recommend what they do depending on what they feel they know about the units and if they are really good at their jobs then they may know what is best to recommend for ya.

the multitasking argument is getting really old. average joe wont know the difference and if i read a wiki correctly, androids method of multitasking seems to be closer to true multitasking than webos... webos is just prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Most best buy places are SO BIASED against webOS its unbelievable. I too also got told to buy a android piece of crap and then an ipad 2. I then asked the guy why I wanted an android device when its more buggy then webOS has ever been. Why would I want an android or ipad device when they BOTH can't multitask? He kinda just looked at me and went "huh?" and then I told him to ring my touchpad up please.

The TRUTH is that most best buy employees are in love with android or apple, and couldn't give two ****s about webOS. The truth is most of them aren't even knowledgeable about what webOS can do. I doubt most of them have even TRIED out the touchpad.

How can best buy sell something when they aren't even marketing it at all really and are basically calling it a piece of ****?

-Toaster
    spud101 and milominderbinde like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    When I was at BestBuy the other week picking up other items, I took a moment to stop and stare at the dead HP TouchPad display. When I was picking it up a sales person walks up to me, and I kid you not goes --

Sales person: "Why would you want a heavy and severely laggy device like that? It doesn't even run Android 3.0. Now, the GalaxyTab, that's where it's at. It's far more comparable to the iPad 2 than that thing will ever be."

Me: **Blank stare on my face** Sorry, I own one of these "laggy..." and not to mention "heavy" things that doesn't run Android.

(I was at BestBuy grabbing the last bluetooth Touchpad keyboard.)

It's odd that there are so many Best Buy horror stories regarding the Touchpad. I for one, am still waiting to be notified by Best Buy that my pre-ordered unit is in and ready to be picked up. (In the mean time, Amazon delivers. Now THOSE are the numbers I would check).

Anyway, since every tech-site wanna-be seems to run with every un-verified rumor that comes out (especially pro-apple and anti-everyone else), I thought I'd share this one:

I have an unnamed source that tells me that a certain fruit company is behind all this. That bonuses are give for every switch that they coerce the customer into making. Pretty crappy huh?

Disclaimer: I made this crap up. But it probably has as much credence as all these so-called articles that source each other and then call it news. Mine is arguably MORE credible, since I am telling you it's BS right up front.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    I will say one more thing: Walt Mossberg, who is in charge of All Things D for the Wall Street Journal, has been describe by many in media articles as an Apple "******". Just FYI, not saying the numbers are not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the multitasking argument is getting really old. average joe wont know the difference and if i read a wiki correctly, androids method of multitasking seems to be closer to true multitasking than webos... webos is just prettier.
    Right. It didn't matter when the Pre came out. It didn't matter when the Pixi came out. It didn't matter when the Veer came out. It doesn't matter on the TouchPad. It's just not something consumers concern themselves with.

I agree wholeheartedly about why Best Buy employees steer customers towards other tablets. I don't think there's any malice or agenda behind it -- they just want customers to leave with a tablet they'll be happy with, whether they're looking for specs, apps, or form factor.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    I have to agree with you. While I don't think TouchPad sales are as bad as the article claims it to be, they obviously aren't selling as well.

I mean when you do a "soft" launch of your flagship device, and it's plagued by bad reviews; you are not really positioning it for success. Then I read the horror stories about people's TouchPads getting cracked near the speakers; it just doesn't look good.

They did a "soft" launch of the Veer, and it obviously hasn't done well. TouchPad got the "soft" launch, then the "official" launch, and so far it's not looking good. Now HP does a surprise, secret, "soft" launch of the Pre 3 in the UK. I don't know what to say. I want to stay optimistic about the webOS, but it's like a never ending roller coaster ride.

you know if i were working at a best buy and someone wanted to consider a tablet... the touchpad wouldnt be the first choice i'd recommend...

if the person is a newbie or elderly person with little 'interweb' knowledge... i'm pushing ya to the ipad.

if you are a person that wants the best specs out there and you are still harping about flash... samsung 10.1 for ya buddy.

i feel that apps between the two are not an issue at this point. the latest apps seem to go to get to both of them now a days.

if you are a person that is tired of ios or android and want something new and cool but willing to live with a few negatives and be patient and wait for updates to fix current bugs (before the first OTA) and wait for apps... if i think you really understand what you are getting into... i'm gonna push the touchpad on ya. cause i dont want you coming back and complaining you werent aware of this and that being missing from the tp.

and you guys that give grief to newbies that come here and say, it's stupid there is no rear camera or no camera app or no doc editing or not enough apps.... and then you tell them you should have known what you were buying and tell them to return it... so dont give me any lip about my views above

the touchpad wasnt perfect at softlaunch and for 30 days after that. and hard to justify the same price as ipad2 or 10.1 with back of the pack specs and no apps.

the sales people are in that same position and they recommend what they do depending on what they feel they know about the units and if they are really good at their jobs then they may know what is best to recommend for ya.

AllThingsD is a part of the Wall Street Journal. These sources at Best Buy were right about the iPad 2 and the PlayBook numbers when those results were announced.

Because of the WSJ credibility, everyone will cover this by tomorrow.

HP talked about webOS in their earnings call after the Feb 9 launch. The WSJ has called them out. They have to reply tomorrow unless sales really were this bad.

Look at the past Transcripts. HP, like most companies, does give numbers if they are better than expected. At this point everyone is expecting the worst. HP has an obligation to their stockholders to give numbers if the number are better than the street is estimating.

If HP gives no numbers to refute these, then these are the numbers. We will know tomorrow.
    There's too much evidence of it being true to leave much doubt, Milo. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence but when you combine things like the rapid price slashing, Rubinstein's demotion, the poor-to-middling reviews, the non-existent bump in traffic on PC (the leading webOS community on the Internet), and the lack of app announcements from major developers, it just doesn't paint a picture of a product that is performing well at retail.

And, as you pointed out, that doesn't even factor in the WSJ staking their credibility by running this story.

You are not a very good salesman

You are right about the selling points of both the iPad and Android, but you totally missed the mark on the TouchPad's strongest feature: the user experience. Navigating the TouchPad is leaps and bounds easier and more aesthetic than the other tablets. It's card view with stacks is by far the most intuitive execution of multitasking. The Advanced Browser with tabbed windows and Flash. The email app with sliding windows. Spaz is awesome. It's notification system has no equal. The TouchStone. Bluetooth sync with all webOS phones. Blah blah blah

I'm not saying that the TouchPad is a better choice than Android or the iPad. Nor am I going to say those are better choices than the TouchPad. But they all have their own strong and unique selling points. If Best Buy's employees can not give a comprehensive presentation for each device/ecosystem then that's on Best Buy.
    I think a commenter on the AllThingsD article said it best. The quote in its entirety:

People don't buy OSes. We've known this since Windows, but somehow pundits and nerds seem to forget time and again. People only use OSes as shorthand for ECOSYSTEMS; it's ecosystems they buy into.

When you shopped for a Windows PC in the '90s, it wasn't because you really enjoyed Windows 95's superior user experience. It was because all your programs ran on Windows 95, and you'd be able to open all the files your co-workers handed to you on 3.5" floppy drives. When you stayed buying Windows in the early noughties, it was because Office ran on it, and that was the baseline for all productivity attachments being zipped around through Outlook (which, as part of Office, you figured you needed Windows for, too).

Apple has secured critical momentum for its ecosystem through the number of applications available, and the compatibility of its platform across device form factors and revisions - iPod touch, iPhone, iPad. Google has built up not insignificant gravity through sheer force of will and numerical ubiquity, despite considerable compatibility issues across handsets for more sophisticated applications.

webOS has a weak developer support story, as far as the consumer is concerned. It's practically invisible. Where your casual shopper is aware of the iPhone as a desirable consumer product, and of the App Store and "Android" (or, more likely, "Droid"), she's never heard of "webOS" - none of her friends are telling her about this or that awesome application she can run on her HP Pre and TouchBook.

I have no prescriptives. I simply don't see how HP - or RIM, or Samsung with Bada now that Google owns Motorola Mobility - creates an ecosystem that consumers care about when Apple and Google/Android are so far ahead already.
    There are about 1500 Best Buy stores. Does anyone really believe thy bought 150 per store? Did anyone see a BB with 150? 100? 50?
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    When I was at BestBuy the other week picking up other items, I took a moment to stop and stare at the dead HP TouchPad display.
    When I visited a local BestBuy store over the weekend, I noticed the TouchPad on display was dead. The USB port looked like someone had taken a screwdriver to it and even if it wasn't damaged, the cable didn't have any power going to it. The display model at Sam's Club wasn't much better. It was on, but appeared to have gotten run into an error on boot and had some error message running down the side. The device was on one end of the display and the rest of the space was taken up by three iPads.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'll give you guys the Apple argument. They have always been the one company that people would buy no matter what. It's amazing how they create their own market.
    True, but don't forget, Microsoft bailed apple out from going into receivership previously, so things weren't always rosy for Apple. I think MS owns a fair amount of shares of Apple, so they must be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There are about 1500 Best Buy stores. Does anyone really believe thy bought 150 per store? Did anyone see a BB with 150? 100? 50?
    The Best Buy I bought mine from on lauch day said they had 6 or 7 (he thought)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    The Best Buy I bought mine from on lauch day said they had 6 or 7 (he thought)
    Yes, when I bought mine from Best Buy, he had to go in the back and didn't have any 32GB left. I think I smell BS somewhere here. If Best Buy had that much inventory, then howcome they don't have certain models in stock when you buy them? Doesn't make sense.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    If this is true (and AllThingsD is pretty solid in those matters) - We are seeing a repeat of the Pre launch - remember how Palm choked the supply chain with units and then had to admit that strategy didn't work and that caused all sorts of problems with retailers - looks like HP (maybe under the influence of JR - which might also explain why he was shuffled out of the unit a few weeks ago) has done the same.

The big problem for HP is not with the Touchpad, it's with the next touchpad mode and the touchpad Go (the 7" tablet that people expect to see) - HP is going to get the big fat finger off a lot of retailers if those numbers are true.

A good sign to look out for is if models are announced and then simply don't see the light of day.Also watch for HP to either not mention sales of the Touchpad or to mention channel sales in their earnings call tomorrow.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I posted this as a main page comment, thought I would post it here as well:

This story is obviously very negative news for HP and the Touchpad, true or not. The problem doesn't appear to be just HP, though, it is tablets in general.
    The Register UK publication yesterday published an article that said that the retail channel analyst company Context, which tracks actual sales out data, should 15,000 Touchpads sold in Western Europe in July - 12,000 in the UK. (I don't know where they have even released the Touchpad in other areas of Europe).

Here is kicker:

"Regionally, the next highest selling vendors were ACER and ASUS, that shipped 8,000 and 7,000 respectively." We can assume that these sales are for the ACER Iconia and the ASUS Transformer.

Keep in mind that the Samsung Tab is banned in Europe due to a patent injunction obtained by Apple, so it can't get any Android tablet sales there, and the demand has probably shifted to ACER and ASUS. Therefore, in July, HP sold as many Touchpads as all Android tablets from ASUS and ACER (and Samsung) in Europe.
    In contrast, Apple sold 160,000 tablets last month in Europe. This is before the price cut.
    People don't want tablets, they want iPads • reghardware
    For some reason, you missed the most telling bit of that article:

But in the first week of August, HP resellers and distributors managed to punt just 700 across the Western Europe 100 in the UK while HP's Taiwanese rivals flogged a combined 2,300 devices across the region.
    That can't be true. 100 TouchPads sold in the UK? There have to be more people than that who just hate Apple and want to vote with their wallet.
    Many of us knew it was coming. Bad sale is result of Touchpad's bad feature list and HP's lack of sense for details. But, sensationalism of All things D article is overwhelming also.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That can't be true. 100 TouchPads sold in the UK? There have to be more people than that who just hate Apple and want to vote with their wallet.
    Well if Amazon is any indicator they bought Android tablets (and they didn't buy many of those to be honest). This is shaking out like a lot of analysts predicted - most people don't want or see a use for a tablet and the limited number that do want an ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    For some reason, you missed the most telling bit of that article:
    "But in the first week of August, HP resellers and distributors managed to punt just 700 across the Western Europe 100 in the UK while HP's Taiwanese rivals flogged a combined 2,300 devices across the region"

So, what is your point?

HP 800 in region

Asus, Samsung, Acer, HTC, Archos and many others combined pushed all together 2,300 in region.