Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    they were planning 400,000 - 450,000 per MONTH

search precentral.
    Actually the true story is 3,000,000 per year. That's 250,000 a month.
    If 10 retailers sold best buy's figure in the month of July (which isn't outside the realm of possibility), then they met their goal.
    Clevin, read this:
    http://www.precentral.net/hp-ship-3-...-coming-august
    Derek K. seems to buy the story enough to put it up on the front page without much skepticism.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Well, if there really isn't anything to this, I'm sure HP will give us the real numbers when they hold their earnings conference call on Thursday,
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Alright, there's the hard and fast numbers. They aren't going to ship those all at once, and not all to one retailer. That's 750,000 units a quarter. Let's say 1 million for the launch. Best buy still isn't getting 25% of the stock.
    Clevin, read what you're quoting. 49 stores is DIFFERENT RETAIL OUTLETS (fry's, costco, qvc, amazon, best buy, etc), not individual stores. Read before you post.
    I'm not sure about the numbers in the article. But BB is far and away the largest US brick and mortar electronics retailer. It wouldn't be a surprise if they got 25% of the stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    Actually the true story is 3,000,000 per year. That's 250,000 a month.
    If 10 retailers sold best buy's figure in the month of July (which isn't outside the realm of possibility), then they met their goal.
    Clevin, read this:
    HP to ship 3 Million TouchPads the first year; 7-Inch Tablet coming in August | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    you should read that article carefully.

They were saying 3mil in "THIS YEAR", which has only 6 months left since touchpad's release.
    i blame ruby first... leo second.
    good riddance to ruby.
    leo is just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    Now you guys are blaming Best Buy? Really?

When will you guys start holding HP accountable?

I think the WOOT sale was a microcosm of TP's problems....a litmus test if you will.

Maybe BB was sold a bill of goods by the likes of HP. Maybe HP has real good "car salesmen" as was able to convince BB that it would sale??
    BB having only sold 1/10th of their stock doesn't actually seem that crazy to me. I've only been to my local BB, but the TP definitely did not stick out there. And, as many people have reported, the salespeople were all but clueless. At least it was a working device.

Plus, haven't there been discounts online? Amazon is a little cheaper. I wonder how many they've sold?

What does sound kinda ridiculous to me is BB wanting to throw in the towel already. The price cut JUST happened. If I were BB, I'd want to give it another month at the new price to see what happens. Acutally, a more plausible story might be that BB wanted to throw in the towel a few weeks ago, unless HP was willing to lower the price. I could believe that. But this price cut and the associated advertising have to have time to work their magic.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i blame ruby first... leo second.
    good riddance to ruby.
    leo is just a matter of time.
    How about the webOS user community? did we give HP enough pressure? have we been criticizing the questionable decisions made by HP? did we give hp constructive feedbacks even if they are not all cheers and flowers?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    What does sound kinda ridiculous to me is BB wanting to throw in the towel already. The price cut JUST happened. If I were BB, I'd want to give it another month at the new price to see what happens. Acutally, a more plausible story might be that BB wanted to throw in the towel a few weeks ago, unless HP was willing to lower the price. I could believe that. But this price cut and the associated advertising have to have time to work their magic.
    I can't blame them though. There are tablets from Acer, Sony, Fujitsu, Lenovo and Asus shipping fairly soon. Plus, with back to school season in full swing, why would Best Buy want to stock something that isn't selling?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    What does sound kinda ridiculous to me is BB wanting to throw in the towel already. The price cut JUST happened.
    thats the cruel and cold fact of this market, this market is highly visible and competitive, and is being refreshed with new products constantly. The window of opportunity is small and moving fast.

I truly hope HP learn the lesson and pricing properly for 7" tab launch, if it won't loser its partner by then.
    i know i tried

but the community are passengers on a cruise ship... gotta have faith in the captain and your there to think positive and enjoy the trip.

it comes down to the captain being capable to run the ship properly... and he's ultimately responsible.

all the reviewers... nothing negative about webos itself... they loved the os and palm/hp had an uncut diamond in there hands.

How about the webOS user community? did we give HP enough pressure? have we been criticizing the questionable decisions made by HP? did we give hp constructive feedbacks even if they are not all cheers and flowers?
    thats the cruel and cold fact of this market, this market is highly visible and competitive, and is being refreshed with new products constantly. The window of opportunity is small and moving fast.
    That sums it up perfectly. There's something better shipping every single month and unless you have iPad levels of demand, you'd better ship something competitive and hope you don't drown.
    I think there is more to this story than what we are reading. Sounds to me that Best Buy forgot who they are dealing with. Why Best Buy would buy a year's worth of devices from a company THEY KNOW does incremental updates is beyond me. I think the thing that probably clued them in was news that HP was going to release a spec-bumped TouchPad in a couple months. Odds are, HP will release yet another spec bump before Christmas.

This sounds like someone in the Best Buy purchasing department made an oops and now they are trying to get out of it.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    yes... they (best buy) have shareholders and analyst targets to meet too and having dead weight on their books cant help. best buy must be having a tough time too... i was just there today and cant believe i see... on one side they sell the latest and greatest in tvs, computers, etc... on the other side they have a wall of pillow pets and back to school supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I can't blame them though. There are tablets from Acer, Sony, Fujitsu, Lenovo and Asus shipping fairly soon. Plus, with back to school season in full swing, why would Best Buy want to stock something that isn't selling?
    the guy at all things D sold a bunch of HP stock short and he is just trying to cover his positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the guy at all things D sold a bunch of HP stock short and he is just trying to cover his positions.
    Ah, insider trading.
    lol really?
    I read the AllThingsD article. While I think it's a bit on the sensational side in some respects, the facts seem to be correct. He claims two separate sources for the 25k sold number. However, it doesn't tell the other side of the story (good sales at Amazon).

Still, we all know that it isn't selling as well as HP would have liked. For those of us who have yet to buy one, this is actually good news: you probably can expect some future deals.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    ...wow.
    PreCentral just posted this on the front page:

HP TouchPad selling poorly at Best Buy, retailers in general?

As Derreck says: "HP reports their quarterly earnings tomorrow, and if these numbers are true, we expect that they will remain mum on the exact number of TouchPads actually sold."

So tomorrow we can see if HP releases the actual end-user activation numbers.