Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Also, doesn't it seem a bit weird to anyone else that a retailer would want a manufacturer to take back products after only ONE MONTH? Are we to believe their policy is to buy stock for one month and then new stock for the next? Are we to believe that they get angry and have long-standing business partners 'take back' extra stock if they didn't move all of it?

Plus, what's interesting isn't how many units Best Buy has sold but how many units were sold in total. If HP managed to move a few hundred thousand in the first month I'd say that's a success. It's their first device, and for many people the first webOS device they see. I wonder how many units the G1 moved in its first month?

If this said 'TouchPad breaking records (according to an unconfirmed rumor started by anonymous sources)' I think the votes to wait for actual information would have it...
    kjb86, IGNTNUNLMTD and pgarcia like this.
    well, it will have to force hp to respond if it isnt true and they will have to respond very soon... i would say before market opens cause news like this will spreak and hurt.

maybe if it were another day they could play a deaf ear... but doing nothing to deny it on earnings day will not fly.

Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Allthingsd better have gotten this right. Humiliating one of the largest tech companies in the world the day before earnings with an aggressive headline like that, well . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Also, doesn't it seem a bit weird to anyone else that a retailer would want a manufacturer to take back products after only ONE MONTH? Are we to believe their policy is to buy stock for one month and then new stock for the next? Are we to believe that they get angry and have long-standing business partners 'take back' extra stock if they didn't move all of it?
    There are a looooooooooooooot of tablets coming out over the next few months. It's also back to school season so they probably want to stock more popular skus.
  4. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    if Best Buy 'really wanted' to sell those, they should get their store leadership engaged . .. the 3 BBs I've been too surely didnt try to talk TouchPad. When I showed the salesperson some features he said "thats cool, I'll have to play with that more". Its all about focus when it comes to sales --- evidently the store managers aren't getting guidance from Corporate to make these things sell.

I question the 'source' though . . . just doesnt sound right does it?
    threed61#WN likes this.
    We're supposed to believe that Best Buy, Fry's, Costco, Wal MArt, and every other retailer offering the HP touchpad got 250,000 Touchpads a piece? That's a number in the millions. I'm calling complete BS on this one. There's no way HP expected to ship this many.

Wasn't there something about HP shipping 3-400,000 touchpads per quarter?

How long is a quarter? 3 months? We're halfway through a quarter. I doubt Best Buy got 83% of the Touchpads shipped to retailers.
    if it is true that they only sold 1/10 of their supply in one month... do the math to calculate how long it would take to sell the rest. how much money bb is losing when they expected the money back thru sales. and they also know that the units are basically yesterdays tab in a matter of months with new releases.

they may have a good relationship with hp selling a ton of printers and laptops and pcs... but that relationship works both ways that they need bb to sell as many as they can.

i'm actually surprised if the numbers are real and only 25k in a month.

playbook sold 250,000 it's first month and that may be over a few stores but i would have thought bb could push that much too. if not 250k, i would have imagined 100k and if they did sell 100-150k then bb would probably be able to stomach it better and we wouldnt hear the leak come out.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    if Best Buy 'really wanted' to sell those, they should get their store leadership engaged . .. the 3 BBs I've been too surely didnt try to talk TouchPad. When I showed the salesperson some features he said "thats cool, I'll have to play with that more". Its all about focus when it comes to sales --- evidently the store managers aren't getting guidance from Corporate to make these things sell.

I question the 'source' though . . . just doesnt sound right does it?
    Is he the same dude who wrote that Woot thing? If so, he didn't even try to hide the big axe he was grinding in that piece, and this one has the same tonr.

When I was buying a Veer at a BB (I eventually walked out) I felt like I was keeping the salesperson from her nap.
    playbook sold 250,000 it's first month and that may be over a few stores but i would have thought bb could push that much too. if not 250k, i would have imagined 100k and if they did sell 100-150k then bb would probably be able to stomach it better and we wouldnt hear the leak come out.
    Think about those numbers.
    250,000 divided among, according to Google, 49 stores:
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32 GB - BlackBerry Tablet OS 1 GHz

That's FIVE THOUSAND per store. Even if you cut the number of retailers in half, that's TEN THOUSAND per store. Cut it again, 12 retailers. That's still only 20,000 units per store, worse than these bogus Touchpad numbers.

Crunch the numbers, this story stinks of BS.
    JayhawkOne and GodShapedHole like this.
    if i had to guess numbers... and i am only guessing... i would imagine that hp built 800,000 to a million units world wide.

u.s. distributors i would imagine bb having the bulk of it because they are the premiere tech retailers.

the other stores split up the rest and i imagine that many if not all were hoping an betting it would be as good if not better than playbook sales or even galaxy sales.

i'm really shocked if these numbers are true.

Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    We're supposed to believe that Best Buy, Fry's, Costco, Wal MArt, and every other retailer offering the HP touchpad got 250,000 Touchpads a piece? That's a number in the millions. I'm calling complete BS on this one. There's no way HP expected to ship this many.

How long is a quarter? 3 months? We're halfway through a quarter. I doubt Best Buy got 83% of the Touchpads shipped to retailers.
    The strategy of high initial price followed by discount failed, if thats actually a strategy at all.

HP should not, and can not using its old pc business strategy to market touchpads, as some of the people previously claimed. This is different market, highly visible, highly competitive, most products only has one shot to attract buyers. To lose that opportunity and expect following discount, which is substantially less news-worthy and limited in its reaches, to attract buyers will not be enough.

The quick price cut further damage the loyalty and expectations.

At this time, touchpad gen 1 is what it is, HP needs to push out new products with competitive hardware and grabbing the spot light usually occurs with new products, and most importantly, price it aggressively and properly from start, try not to discount $100 in three months after launch.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    they were planning 400,000 - 450,000 per MONTH

search precentral.
    yeah, i am just guessing and trying to work the numbers if the article is true. and also thinking of what clevin wrote above remembering that was hp's target to produce (that's how i came up with a guesstimate that they built no more than 800k to a million units).

crazy really if only 25k units. we'll probably find out tomorrow.

I could swear I read a story on the front page about HP shipping 3 million TouchPads this year.

Found it: http://www.precentral.net/hp-ship-3-...-coming-august
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    if i had to guess numbers... and i am only guessing... i would imagine that hp built 800,000 to a million units world wide.

u.s. distributors i would imagine bb having the bulk of it because they are the premiere tech retailers.

the other stores split up the rest and i imagine that many if not all were hoping an betting it would be as good if not better than playbook sales or even galaxy sales.

i'm really shocked if these numbers are true.
    Ok, let's go with your high estimate.
    Let's say, 1,000,000 touchpads built. The touchpad is being sold in the US, Australia, UK, Germany, France, Singapore, Canada, and I know I'm missing some, but let's stick with those.
    Divided evenly, each country gets ~150,000 units. Ok, so, let's say the US gets 500,000 of those, splitting the rest up. You really believe Best Buy got half of the US stock?
    Let's divide that between 70 stores:
    HP TouchPad 32 GB - HP webOS 3.0 1.2 GHz - HP gloss black - English / United States

7000 units a piece. For this article to be true, Best Buy would have gotten 50% of the stock. Still ridiculous.
    GodShapedHole and pgarcia like this.
    Think about those numbers.
    250,000 divided among, according to Google, 49 stores:
    BlackBerry PlayBook 32 GB - BlackBerry Tablet OS 1 GHz

That's FIVE THOUSAND per store. Even if you cut the number of retailers in half, that's TEN THOUSAND per store. Cut it again, 12 retailers. That's still only 20,000 units per store, worse than these bogus Touchpad numbers.

there are 1000+ bestbuy stores in the states alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I could swear I read a story on the front page about HP shipping 3 million TouchPads this year.

Found it: HP to ship 3 Million TouchPads the first year; 7-Inch Tablet coming in August | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Alright, there's the hard and fast numbers. They aren't going to ship those all at once, and not all to one retailer. That's 750,000 units a quarter. Let's say 1 million for the launch. Best buy still isn't getting 25% of the stock.
    Clevin, read what you're quoting. 49 stores is DIFFERENT RETAIL OUTLETS (fry's, costco, qvc, amazon, best buy, etc), not individual stores. Read before you post.
    yep... you can see that hp had higher expectations than even forum members hear would say publicly. that's why i can imagine that best buy could have that many... they pitch the figures to bb and they ate it up... and now they are throwing it up... if true.

makes you see why dan hesse/sprint wasnt so eager to jump in to sell any webos device so soon eh?

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

Found it: HP to ship 3 Million TouchPads the first year; 7-Inch Tablet coming in August | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
  18. AZ8
    Now you guys are blaming Best Buy? Really?

When will you guys start holding HP accountable?

I think the WOOT sale was a microcosm of TP's problems....a litmus test if you will.

Maybe BB was sold a bill of goods by the likes of HP. Maybe HP has real good "car salesmen" as was able to convince BB that it would sale??
    Alright, there's the hard and fast numbers. They aren't going to ship those all at once, and not all to one retailer. That's 750,000 units a quarter. Let's say 1 million for the launch. Best buy still isn't getting 25% of the stock.
    Clevin, read what you're quoting. 49 stores is DIFFERENT RETAIL OUTLETS (fry's, costco, qvc, amazon, best buy, etc), not individual stores. Read before you post.
    400,000 to 450,000 a month, thats 1.2-1.35 mil per quarter. Not 750,000. do the math.

Bestbuy is the largest electronic retailer store in the states, whats so difficult to believe they have a large percentage of the stock?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    So that's maybe 22 units sold per store in 45 days or 1 sale every other day. As a business if I were sitting on 200,00+ units and stores were selling 1 ever other day I'd start first at what management and sales staff are doing and how to incentivize them to do things right to get sales up. If sales don't change then certainly go back to the manufacturer to figure out how to move more units or return them. However from customer and employee reports it doesn't sound like Best Buy is doing anything to spur sales. You either hear about employees steering customers to android or you hear about utter indifference. At the same time we've heard repeated statements about stores selling out.

so what is the true story? Are sales hurting and managers are keeping stock purposefully low and telling staff to focus on other products? Or are sales fine, selling out some stores, and so managers aren't pressing staff to put focus on Touchpad? And if sales are so scary bad why do we not see some scrambling by HP with more commercials, more interviews, and more on site staff and training.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast