Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 172
Like Tree84Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You can't blame this completely on a device (no matter what company). No one has any money. Seriously. Not turning this political in any way, but look at the economy... everyone is just trying to get by right now, so retail sales of everything are in the toilet. Clothing companies, electronics companies, and others are all suffering from tons of unsold items. If a 'luxury item' like coffee sales are dropping hard - electronics devices for several hundred dollars simply won't sell if people don't have cash. I'm not making excuses at all for HP or any company. But I sold high-end audio/video during the last recession and damn near starved because people simply didn't have the extra spending money. The economy sucks right now world-wide. It might be a different story if the economy were stronger - but hard to sell expensive items when the markets keep losing every day.
    I'd like to believe that, but the touchpad DIRECTLY competes with the iPad. How are the iPad2 sales?
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

    RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

    Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    milominderbinde likes this.
  2.    #22  
    I like your sentiment regarding the economy, but consider for a moment that the iPad 2 continues to sell quite well even though it's higher priced.
    milominderbinde likes this.
  3. #23  
    I'll give you guys the Apple argument. They have always been the one company that people would buy no matter what. It's amazing how they create their own market.
  4. #24  
    9.3 million ipads last quarter i believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    I'd like to believe that, but the touchpad DIRECTLY competes with the iPad. How are the iPad2 sales?
    milominderbinde likes this.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Interesting though that BestBuy hasn't been able to sell any - because they were all sold out just a couple of days ago? There were a few threads about that.
    When I was at BestBuy the other week picking up other items, I took a moment to stop and stare at the dead HP TouchPad display. When I was picking it up a sales person walks up to me, and I kid you not goes --

    Sales person: "Why would you want a heavy and severely laggy device like that? It doesn't even run Android 3.0. Now, the GalaxyTab, that's where it's at. It's far more comparable to the iPad 2 than that thing will ever be."

    Me: **Blank stare on my face** Sorry, I own one of these "laggy..." and not to mention "heavy" things that doesn't run Android.

    (I was at BestBuy grabbing the last bluetooth Touchpad keyboard.)
  6. #26  
    the manager should have heard about that
  7. #27  
    I have to admit, 270k seems like an incredibly high amount, even for Best Buy. I can't imagine that they would order that many. According to the Wikipedia, BB only has 1150 stores worldwide, so that's 234 units per store. Assuming 100k is held aside for their online sales, that's still 147 units per store. BB operates on the JIT delivery system, so I don't think they would have ordered all the Touchpads they think will ever sell all at once. So either the 270k number is way off, or BB was really expecting to sell the hell out of the Touchpad.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  8. #28  
    Best Buy has to take a lot of blame if they aren't selling items. They are responsible for training and pushing their staff. I miss the old Best Buy Superstores - before it turned into a box warehouse. LOL there were only 18 stores when I worked for Best Buy (shirt and tie, 100% commission) and grew to 50 when I left.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'll give you guys the Apple argument. They have always been the one company that people would buy no matter what. It's amazing how they create their own market.
    They have the most powerful brands on the planet. Nobody uses the word "tablet." They're all "iPads." Same for MP3 players, smartphones, etc. They are the Kleenex, Xerox, Coke of tech. They haven't fought for the name of a space since the Macintosh went up against the IBM PC. As a result, everybody markets for Apple just by talking about this stuff.

    Sent from my HP iPad.
  10. #30  
    Is it possible that people just don't want the TouchPad?
    AZ8, koolkid09, r-nice and 1 others like this.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    They have the most powerful brands on the planet. Nobody uses the word "tablet." They're all "iPads." Same for MP3 players, smartphones, etc. They are the Kleenex, Xerox, Coke of tech. They haven't fought for the name of a space since the Macintosh went up against the IBM PC. As a result, everybody markets for Apple just by talking about this stuff.

    Sent from my HP iPad.
    Not true! I say tissue, copier, and soda... And tablet. Fight the system.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    threed61#WN and doodad64 like this.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I have to admit, 270k seems like an incredibly high amount, even for Best Buy. I can't imagine that they would order that many. According to the Wikipedia, BB only has 1150 stores worldwide, so that's 234 units per store. Assuming 100k is held aside for their online sales, that's still 147 units per store. BB operates on the JIT delivery system, so I don't think they would have ordered all the Touchpads they think will ever sell all at once. So either the 270k number is way off, or BB was really expecting to sell the hell out of the Touchpad.
    Yeah, when the thing came out everyone on these boards were saying that their local best buys had like 20 max of each GB size, if not less. It would be weird if they really ordered that many.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Is it possible that people just don't want the TouchPad?
    Yes, but saying that around here is likely to get your post deleted and/or the thread locked. :P
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    koolkid09 and r-nice like this.
  14. #34  
    I got my TP at bestbuy, my wife picked it up for me and she said she grabbed the las one they had. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Yes, but saying that around here is likely to get your post deleted and/or the thread locked. :P
    Actually, stuff like that will <jk>
    Cantaffordit, retroblu and bevcraw like this.
  16. #36  
    Sort of makes you wonder if the number 1 plus guy wishes he could take it back.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Is it possible that people just don't want the TouchPad?
    If by that you mean, "Is it possible that if the TouchPad were given even 25% of the sales energy of iPad or Android nobody would want one," I'd say no.
    kjb86 and lagoldste like this.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    If by that you mean, "Is it possible that if the TouchPad were given even 25% of the sales energy of iPad or Android nobody would want one," I'd say no.
    Does that really matter when HP is, by all accounts, doing a great job of advertising the TouchPad across a very wide demographic range? Anyone with a TV on at any time will see TouchPad commercials (I saw one at 3am on Food Network last night...don't ask), all advertising the most attractive feature: $399. I'm not sure if having Best Buy employees give the hard sell would really matter that much.
  19. #39  
    Allthingsd better have gotten this right. Humiliating one of the largest tech companies in the world the day before earnings with an aggressive headline like that, well . . .
    Cantaffordit and Vij like this.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Not true! I say tissue, copier, and soda... And tablet. Fight the system.
    Can't believe you missed the sig line in my post.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions