Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pogeypre
  1.    #1  
    BlackBerry Bold 9930 review -- Engadget

I found it rather amusing that the BB tablet is advertising the HP Touchpad. Why not add to the confusion. It already looks like the Touchpad.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....8-15-600-3.jpg
    I'll add this:

The Engadget video review of the 9810 (Torch 2), shows the OS in action.

Its amazing that the hardware home button is on the lower right hand part of the screen, which brings up the application menus that you scroll side to side, just like the WebOS device's software button does.

It just gets to similar for coincidence, I think.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

LCGuy: webOS looks and feels better than anything else on the market. Why shouldn't other competitors try to copy its awesomeness? That's how progress works: one guy invents something, everybody else uses it. Progress. Then somebody else invents something and everbody else uses THAT.

Imagine if only the first person or company to do something was allowed to do that for the rest of all time. Cars? Only from Mercedes. Insanity.

webOS' problem has never been lack of innovation or lack of awesomeness - as proven by how many companies are copying its innovations and awesomenesses (new word: only I may use it!!!). The problem has always been borderline-malicious reviewers too deeply in love with other systems to even acknowledge the benefits of webOS, and, especially in the beginning, bankrupt Palm's inability to do proper marketing.
    You don't sell devices if nobody knows they exist, especially not if the few people who DO know it exists are repelled by reviewers concentrating on what webOS doesn't, with no mention (or perhaps only a short quip) about the things that webOS does that other systems don't.

Now that HP is at the helm, expect things to look a bit different in the future. We're already seeing the fruits of this in the TouchPad flying off the shelves thanks to HP's moneybags enabling advertising campaigns, widespread brick-and-mortar store availability and proactive price drops. This raises mindshare and, as a result of that, it will also raise reviewer's incentive to actually LOOK at the thing (or rather, the thing's next-gen successor) before writing it into the gutter.

For example, when the TouchPad was reviewed, it was pretty clear that a lot of reviewers simply wanted it to go away so they could go back to swooning over Android or iOS, depending on the individual reviewer: what's the use of even properly putting it through its paces if just panning it will make it go away? That'll make the job easier in the future as you need to know about fewer platforms. (Anandtech was a refreshing exception: his review might not have been stellar, but I'm OK with stern but fair. Stern but unfair is what gets me.)

Now that the TouchPad is the best-rated tablet on Amazon, these reviewers may feel a bit different; after all, you can't work in a field where you're expected to be the voice of the people if the people clearly feel completely different.

(And with this, I'll try to PM a few admins tonight and try to get my username changed to Going Off On Tangents Man because obviously, my superpower is going off on tangents.)
    U really think the hardware failure is reviewers' fault?

Reviewer didnt make my pre oreo, they didnt make cheap back cover, they didnt wave magic pen to crack ppl's touchpad.

WebOS's problems so far are slow performance, subpar hardwares, and inadequate ecosystem.

Every review I ever seen, always express fondness with webOS and frustration with hardwares and unresponsiveness at times.

Failing to find the root cause will only deter the future of webOS.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    U really think the hardware failure is reviewers' fault?

Reviewer didnt make my pre oreo, they didnt make cheap back cover, they didnt wave magic pen to crack ppl's touchpad.

WebOS's problems so far are slow performance, subpar hardwares, and inadequate ecosystem.

Every review I ever seen, always express fondness with webOS and frustration with hardwares and unresponsiveness at times.

Failing to find the root cause will only deter the future of webOS.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    All the reviews I've seen so far just say about the non-polished and non-smooth o/s and speculate that it's hardware's fault. With some patches from preware though as far as I can see everything goes smoothly without even o/c. Imagine if that tablet was the galaxy or the xoom? No one would say and no one actually says about the slugginess of Android. I personally find android less smooth than webOS. I do not own an android tablet but while I was researching I used a lot although I knew I wouldn't buy them just to make sure that touchpad is the right decision. For all I know android for me is much slower and overloaded than webOS.

That is of course my personal opinion.
    Just food for thought
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    All the reviews I've seen so far just say about the non-polished and non-smooth o/s and speculate that it's hardware's fault. With some patches from preware though as far as I can see everything goes smoothly without even o/c. Imagine if that tablet was the galaxy or the xoom? No one would say and no one actually says about the slugginess of Android. I personally find android less smooth than webOS. I do not own an android tablet but while I was researching I used a lot although I knew I wouldn't buy them just to make sure that touchpad is the right decision. For all I know android for me is much slower and overloaded than webOS.

That is of course my personal opinion.
    Just food for thought
    From engadget review of tp

Finally, webOS on the big screen -- or bigger anyway. The TouchPad is HP's first device running webOS 3.0, a more tablet-friendly version of the little mobile operating system that we've come to love over the years. If you're familiar with earlier versions on perhaps a Pre or a Veer you'll be quite comfortable here because, on the outset, not a lot has changed, particularly when it comes to our favorite part of the OS: multitasking.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Thisismynext review

The same basic building blocks which made webOS so attractive a few years ago are almost completely intact in the new version. Cards, Synergy, the launcher, notifications, universal search (now dubbed Just Type), and the new Quick Actions are all here

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Even gizmodo, remember, these are reviews of a piece of hardware, they already reviewed webos previously.

TouchPad, for the uninitiated, is the first tablet running Palm's webOS, some elegant software we've really liked on phones

Ppl needs to be realistic and stop blaming problems on others.
  9. AZ8
    Regarding the OP: Its just a screenshot of Engadget as they did their review. Its no different than the screenshots on the Touchpad showing Windows Mango, Apple...when Engadget did that review.

HP TouchPad, unboxing and comparison - Engadget Galleries

Finally, webOS on the big screen -- or bigger anyway. The TouchPad is HP's first device running webOS 3.0, a more tablet-friendly version of the little mobile operating system that we've come to love over the years. If you're familiar with earlier versions on perhaps a Pre or a Veer you'll be quite comfortable here because, on the outset, not a lot has changed, particularly when it comes to our favorite part of the OS: multitasking.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Thisismynext review

The same basic building blocks which made webOS so attractive a few years ago are almost completely intact in the new version. Cards, Synergy, the launcher, notifications, universal search (now dubbed Just Type), and the new Quick Actions are all here

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Ok I told you before that is my personal opinion. And I still support it. I read engadget every day and most of their reviews start with big words like this (eg Check the xoom one and the iPad (the first gen).) TIMN is from the former editors so their style will be the same. And never trust gizmodo!!That's not personal opinion!! :P

And those reviews do not say anything that comes in contrast with what I'm saying.
    I said that "and speculate that it's hardware's fault". While in fact preware showed as that it wasn't only the hardware that could make the o/s smoothier.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    Regarding the OP: Its just a screenshot of Engadget as they did their review. Its no different than the screenshots on the Touchpad showing Windows Mango, Apple...when Engadget did that review.

HP TouchPad, unboxing and comparison - Engadget Galleries
    I think there was a little bit more to it than that. I think there was a sense of humor from Engadget involved with using that image in the display of the device. They know BB stole a ton of ideas/features from webOS, and that pic was a little good-humored shot at the Playbook for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    I said that "and speculate that it's hardware's fault". While in fact preware showed as that it wasn't only the hardware that could make the o/s smoothier.
    You mean preware oc? Doesn't that prove exactly that cpu isn't fast enough? Thats a hardware problem, isn't it?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    You mean preware oc? Doesn't that prove exactly that cpu isn't fast enough? Thats a hardware problem, isn't it?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    No I mean those patches
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...g-so-fast.html
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I think there was a little bit more to it than that. I think there was a sense of humor from Engadget involved with using that image in the display of the device. They know BB stole a ton of ideas/features from webOS, and that pic was a little good-humored shot at the Playbook for that.
    - But they are totally different. Have you ever tried to eat a webOS? No? I rest my case (shakey though it is).
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  15.    #15  
    Well it seems my thread got hijacked, but thanks to all those who stayed on topic.
    @AZ8 - I know that, I just thought it was quite bad for RIM in this case. The HP Touchpad bit stands out more than anything else.
    @HelloNNNewman - It's a great conspiracy theory isn't it?
    @pogeypre - I've eaten quite a few spider 'webs' in my day, if that counts, lol.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Thisismynext review

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Even gizmodo, remember, these are reviews of a piece of hardware, they already reviewed webos previously.

TouchPad, for the uninitiated, is the first tablet running Palm's webOS, some elegant software we've really liked on phones

Ppl needs to be realistic and stop blaming problems on others.
    No offense but I want to prove you out that really engadget do everything they can to undermine the platform and HP..

HP Touchstone Audio Dock passes FCC on the way to anonymous launch -- Engadget

If this was an idea by Apple do you think that Daniel Cooper would have the same reaction?? Really.

My point in the previous posts was that other platforms and tablets have bad characteristics but their reviews are far better.
    Anyway I believe that as someone said in here, people do not want to buy tablets, they want to buy iPads.. Today I was flying with ryanair and the flight attendant mentioned the word iPads and not tablets ffs.