1.    #1  
    Anyone here use silver and upgrade to treomail 1.5? I have found that I now have two treomail icons showing up in silver (though only one in the palm's native "finder"). The one in the native "finder" works fine. But among the two that show up in Silver, one of the two launches the app and the other always causes a fatal error...

anyone else? Any ideas?
    I had the exact same thing happen!
    I basically dragged the one that caused the fatal alert to the trash and than emptied the trash which ultimatley deleted the treomail 1.5 app as a whole. I lost any emails that were in the program but than I just reinstalled treomail 1.5 and it's been fine ever since.
    Weird!!

Here is what HS support responded to in an email:

Thank you for contacting Handspring Technical Support.

We understand that you have been able to install the treo mail version 1.5
    but now the unit shows two icons for treo mail, one under main and the other
    on under unfiled category. While running application from the icon main it
    generates fatal error. Using the icon under the unfiled category works fine.

We will provide you with a series of steps to resolve your issue. Please
    follow these steps:
    1- Perform a hotsync so all data on the unit and the desktop is same.
    2- Hard reset the treo (this will erase all data from the handheld)
    3- Click once on the Hotsync Manager icon in the system tray (red blue
    circle on the bottom right corner of the desktop screen).
    4- If there any third party conduits installed (such Backup Buddy or any
    other third party conduits) as then disable the in the following way. From
    the menu click on customer and disable any third party conduits by double
    clicking and then changing the hotsync action normally to do nothing.
    5- Open palm desktop and in the upper left corner check the user name inside
    the box labeled user and note it down, also check that all your data is
    under this name.
    6-On the PC using My Computer or Window Explorer, browse to your C:\ drive
    (local disk) and double click the folder called Program Files and you should
    now be able to see handspring folder. Double click on it and now check for a
    folder with your user name (the same as checked in step 4 above)
    Double click the user folder and now you will see a folder called back up.
    7- Drag the backup folder to the windows desktop. Exit my computer
    8- Check the treo for treo mail icon just to make sure
    9- Hotsync, once it completes Log back into the treo mail and run the
    install again.
    This should normally resolve the issue.

If you ever have any questions or issues in the future, please do not
    hesitate to email us again, quoting case number: (actual case number). This
    will assist us in tracking your case history, and for further
    troubleshooting.

If you would like the latest updates or latest news concerning our products,
    please sign up for our free enewsletter at www.handspring.com .

FAQ's and downloads can be accessed from www.handspring.com/helpme

Thank You,
    Handspring Technical Support

I ultimately did not follow these instructions but did it as I described first.

Greg
  3.    #3  
    i think i'll try what you did... i think that the "hard reset" is handspring's answer to everything.
    I also had this problem and HS gave me the same solution (which seems to be their all-purpose one). However, by using Filez, I discovered that when you update to 1.5, HS is using a renamed app file "TreoMaildb" as opposed to the original "TreoMail". So instead of overwriting the original file it adds the new one and leaves the old one with each having a shortcut icon. Tap the wrong one and you crash. I used Filez to delete the old file and all now works fine.
    No kidding!
    Easy way for them to try and solve an issue!
  6.    #6  
    i used the filez solution and it worked... thanks! I wonder if any other "leftovers" are on the palm from the 1.5 upgrade.....
    If I use Filez to view the treomail files, here's what I have:
    TreoMailAddress
    TreoMailDB
    TreoMailDB_deD
    TreoMailDB_frFR
    TreoMailDomain

Is this the same as yours now that you've deleted the bad one?
    What about the TreoMailDB_deD and TreoMail_frFR? These look like files for german and french language support, maybe? Can they be deleted to save on memory?
    Originally posted by millerhifi

What about the TreoMailDB_deD and TreoMail_frFR? These look like files for german and french language support, maybe? Can they be deleted to save on memory?
    I agree with you, but didn't (and don't) have the guts to find out. Maybe I'll ask HS, but they'll probably tell me that it would void my warranty.
    i deleted the french and the german stuff and treomail seems to be functioning fine without them
    I've run into this before, but when I upgraded SilverScreen. I usually get 2 of some kind of icon (the last time I did upgraded, I got 2 'Exit SilverScreen' icons.

Whenever I 'upgrade' SilverScreen, I usually to a complete uninstall of the old version of SilverScreen, then install the new version (and all my themes as well) and then punch in my registration code again... never get duplicate icons when doing it this way.
    Originally posted by ShadowDweller
    I've run into this before, but when I upgraded SilverScreen. I usually get 2 of some kind of icon (the last time I did upgraded, I got 2 'Exit SilverScreen' icons.

Whenever I 'upgrade' SilverScreen, I usually to a complete uninstall of the old version of SilverScreen, then install the new version (and all my themes as well) and then punch in my registration code again... never get duplicate icons when doing it this way.
    I agree,
    If I were to exit out of silverscreen to the palm launcher than there was only 1 treomail icon. So I think I'll take your recommendation and delete the app before upgrading it.

Thanks