Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    http://www.conceivablytech.com/8876/...lready-in-2009

    HP has had the idea for a while, apparently. Interesting stuff.
    WoodWulf likes this.
  2. #2  
    Actually this one is the HP slate pc. It was announced few days before the iPad and as far as I remember no one liked it and for one magic reason when iPad was announced everyone was saying about a giant iphone (It's still a giant iphone as a matter of fact). But Apple insisted on ipad. And now this patent is one reason Apple can never accuse HP for stealing the design
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....6-10slate2.jpg

    It looks like iPad 1st gen right?
  3. #3  
    HP was clear that they had an android tablet on tap until they bought Palm, so this is old info.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    HP was clear that they had an android tablet on tap until they bought Palm, so this is old info.
    First was windows 7 and then when they saw that no one liked it they went for Windows 7 and Android. The former for business and the later for everyone.

    And here fits the magical quote from Henry Ford
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse."
    grappler and hagris like this.
  5. redmist's Avatar
    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    #5  
    But how can Apple then claim Samsung have copied the iPad when HP has already patented the rectangle
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    But how can Apple then claim Samsung have copied the iPad when HP has already patented the rectangle
    That's a very good question. I really want to see what will happen with that. Since HP was the first to patent the one and only design that the tablets can have.

    This ban was stupid. It's like banning any case manufacturer for having the same shape :/
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    But how can Apple then claim Samsung have copied the iPad when HP has already patented the rectangle
    Eh, companies have been making rectangles for a long while. For example, the HTC Charmer I bought in 2003 was a rectangle with a bunch of buttons made to look like ONE BIG button in the middle underneath the touchscreen. Hasn't kept Apple from insisting, to the point of photoshopping pictures of competing products to make them look more like theirs, that they invented everything, including the basic act of inventing stuff.

    It's quite ludicrous what they're doing. But if you look at Engadget's comments in the last few weeks, it's becoming obvious that Apple is starting to deconstruct its own image with all of this ridiculous trolling and "NO, I INVENTED THE COLOR BLACK SO YOU CAN'T HAVE IT" behavior and that a lot of people are becoming increasingly hostile towards them, not because of their products, but because of how they're acting. Just a year ago, Apple-related comments were generally much more positive and euphoric.

    I have a lot of friends who always wanted iPhones and who are beginning to resent Apple because of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 injunction here in Europe. They never meant to get a Tab - they just don't like a company going and banning another from selling their product because it looks vaguely similar to theirs.

    If history has shown us one thing, it's that any empire that rises must also inevitably fall. This has always been true for political empires and economic ones. Palm, for instance, used to rule the smartphone roost once upon a time - but then they were done in by their hubris.
    I think we're witnessing the first signs of Apple's iOS empire beginning to crumble at the edges. Hubris has always been one of the top causes for an empire's downfall.

    In two or three years, I think we'll see Android hold a good 50% of the mobile device market, with the also-rans (including webOS, Apple and possibly a few others) holding fairly equal shares of the rest.

    Meanwhile, HP is pretty much completely safe from patent litigation, not because they had a rectangle some time ago but because of the patent arsenal they acquired alongside Palm. Remember that Palm's patents include the patent for "mobile device with internet connection and email access".
    One billion was really a song to pay for Palm.
  8. redmist's Avatar
    Posts
    674 Posts
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    #8  
    sometimes, putting a smiley in your post isn't enough
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    SnotBoogie and richardtank like this.
  9. #9  
    HI all,

    This is interesting and important. Apparently, Apple is trying to get the EU to ban sales of Tablets other than the Ipad, b/c of a patent and line drawing....(if I understand the issue correctly)....but the claim is nonsense, after all there were table computers out before the Ipad.

    I wonder if HP is going to use this as a wedge against any claims that Apple is trying to make in front of the EU?

    Take care,

    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    ibrakhalid likes this.
  10. #10  
    I have noticed that Apple is suing everyone EXCEPT HP. I wonder if that is because HP has enough preexisting patents that would negate half of what Apple patented. HP existed for 40 years before Apple was founded. HP was also a leader in electronics technology development.

    Apple: "We sue HP for violating 12 of our patents!"
    HP: "We sue Apple for violating 800 of our patents!"
    Apple: "Nevermind."
  11. #11  
    Apple won't take on HP because Palm owned many smartphone patents. If Apple were to lose a case against HP, they would either have to stop selling iPhones, or give HP a chunk of change for every iPhone ever made (could easily hit billions of dollars in royalties, plus continuing ones for new phones).

    Apple knows that they can't win a patent battle with HP, which is why they wouldn't take on a then smaller Palm.
  12. #12  
    Do most of you guys actually read the source articles you refer to? Sheesh. I know, I know: it's not as fun as some of the more outlandish claims that get made in here wrt competitors but sometimes I want to grab some of you by the lapels, shake, and yell, "have some pride, man!"
    SnotBoogie likes this.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Apple: "We sue HP for violating 12 of our patents!"
    HP: "We sue Apple for violating 800 of our patents!"
    Apple: "Nevermind."
    Yes, Apple suing people is ridiculous. But to sue Apple is stupid, simply because at this point in the smartphone market right now the only way to stay competitive is to evaluate your competitors and learn from what they do.

    I don't mean to sound like an iFan, but look at the first-gen iPhone. What consumer devices before that had pinch-to-zoom, accelerometer-based rotation, the little 'bounce' when you scroll to the end of a list, the little checkered zone for unloaded page content, and many more UI elements I could name? Google borrowed it. Palm borrowed it. Microsoft borrowed it. Simply because those are the simplest and most elegant way to portray zooming, rotations, scrolling... and once a consumer has seen a device do that, they simply can't use anything else.

    But yes. Even with this in mind Apple's recent lawsuits make me angry. Apple didn't invent the glossy black rectangle with a touchscreen in the middle.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Yes, Apple suing people is ridiculous. But to sue Apple is stupid, simply because at this point in the smartphone market right now the only way to stay competitive is to evaluate your competitors and learn from what they do.

    I don't mean to sound like an iFan, but look at the first-gen iPhone. What consumer devices before that had pinch-to-zoom, accelerometer-based rotation, the little 'bounce' when you scroll to the end of a list, the little checkered zone for unloaded page content, and many more UI elements I could name? Google borrowed it. Palm borrowed it. Microsoft borrowed it. Simply because those are the simplest and most elegant way to portray zooming, rotations, scrolling... and once a consumer has seen a device do that, they simply can't use anything else.

    But yes. Even with this in mind Apple's recent lawsuits make me angry. Apple didn't invent the glossy black rectangle with a touchscreen in the middle.
    I was only pointing out why Apple has avoided HP in the courtroom. HP could probably bury Apple if they wanted to but that isn't how HP operates. But if Apple were to sue HP, then the gloves would be off.
  15. #15  
    Just for the record

    Apple 3,601
    Google 553
    HP 40,392
    IBM 63,227
    Intel 61,607
    Microsoft 69,575
    Motorola 55,366
    Oracle 10,892
    RIM 279
    Source: US Patent and Trademark Office
  16. theRIMMER's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #16  
    I don't think apple is worried about hp
    ibrakhalid and SnotBoogie like this.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Just for the record

    Apple 3,601
    Google 553
    HP 40,392
    IBM 63,227
    Intel 61,607
    Microsoft 69,575
    Motorola 55,366
    Oracle 10,892
    RIM 279
    Source: US Patent and Trademark Office
    And Google just bought Motorola so this changes the patents game a bit.


    My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

    Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSecksie View Post
    And Google just bought Motorola so this changes the patents game a bit.
    Actually, Google just bough Moto Wireless, not Motorola itself. There is no telling how many of those patents Moto itself will keep.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Just for the record

    Apple 3,601
    Google 553
    HP 40,392
    IBM 63,227
    Intel 61,607
    Microsoft 69,575
    Motorola 55,366
    Oracle 10,892
    RIM 279
    Source: US Patent and Trademark Office
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Actually, Google just bough Moto Wireless, not Motorola itself. There is no telling how many of those patents Moto itself will keep.
    True True, You have a point. But I'm sure its still a good number.


    My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

    Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
  20. #20  
    Do those 'HP' numbers include 'Palm' patents? It's the Palm patents that would be the most relevant in taking on Apple I think. Considering Palm invented the PDA and also the 'Smartphone' thru their acquisition of 'Handspring'.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions