Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    that's why my tablet is gonna be a circle...
    Siah1214, Vij, JLegacy and 3 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I have noticed that Apple is suing everyone EXCEPT HP. I wonder if that is because HP has enough preexisting patents that would negate half of what Apple patented. HP existed for 40 years before Apple was founded. HP was also a leader in electronics technology development.

Apple: "We sue HP for violating 12 of our patents!"
    HP: "We sue Apple for violating 800 of our patents!"
    Apple: "Nevermind."
    HP actually benefits from Apple suing the others. Creates less competition in a crowded world of android.
    "Do those 'HP' numbers include 'Palm' patents? It's the Palm patents that would be the most relevant in taking on Apple I think. Considering Palm invented the PDA and also the 'Smartphone' thru their acquisition of 'Handspring'."

As much as I now loathe Apple, Palm did not not invent the PDA, it was actually apple with the Apple Newton. Palm was just successful. I'm sure they would have a ton of patents tho.
    EDIT: There was an existing thread on this here when I posted my thread.

http://www.conceivablytech.com/8876/...lready-in-2009

Dear Apple - Sue Samsung. Sue Motorola. Hands off HP ;-).

Now what are the chances that Samsung would buy the license to WebOS as a pretext to also licensing the "slab with a button at the bottom" design that Apple is suing them for?
    Last edited by Amohazab; 08/16/2011 at 06:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Wow nice find, intriguing article!
    Have you guys forgotten about the many articles like this one? 2009 was the rumor year for tablets: http://techcrunch.com/2009/05/21/wha...tablet-so-far/
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Have you guys forgotten about the many articles like this one? 2009 was the rumor year for tablets: What We Know About The Apple Tablet So Far | TechCrunch
    Maybe if you read the article you'd see that they acknowledge that iPad rumours were flying around for ages before that.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Yes, Apple suing people is ridiculous. But to sue Apple is stupid, simply because at this point in the smartphone market right now the only way to stay competitive is to evaluate your competitors and learn from what they do.

I don't mean to sound like an iFan, but look at the first-gen iPhone. What consumer devices before that had pinch-to-zoom, accelerometer-based rotation, the little 'bounce' when you scroll to the end of a list, the little checkered zone for unloaded page content, and many more UI elements I could name? Google borrowed it. Palm borrowed it. Microsoft borrowed it. Simply because those are the simplest and most elegant way to portray zooming, rotations, scrolling... and once a consumer has seen a device do that, they simply can't use anything else.

But yes. Even with this in mind Apple's recent lawsuits make me angry. Apple didn't invent the glossy black rectangle with a touchscreen in the middle.

apple didn't invent pinch-to-zom or the accelerometer-based rotation. they were the one's that implemented that technology on their phone but it was already integrated in other non-smartphone devices already.

if anyone can claim the "patent" then its the special-effect guys from the movie "Minority Report" in 2002 :-)
    I did read it but the comments (admittedly in the other thread) seemed to indicate that most either didn't know that the iPad was in dev for years or they'd forgotten it.

While tabs and slates existed prior to iPad, of course, the iPad -- esp the novelty of it's pricing and using a mobile OS -- caught everyone off guard in the tech industry.

The whole premise of this article is silly. Red meat to the carnivores, as it were.
    Regarding Palms patents, someone here dissected list of them when Palm was for sale. There really --at least from reading through them -- weren't any that sounded relevant to the post '90s.
    <<threads merged and moved to HP webOS News forum>>
    Quote Originally Posted by devon.perry View Post
    "Do those 'HP' numbers include 'Palm' patents? It's the Palm patents that would be the most relevant in taking on Apple I think. Considering Palm invented the PDA and also the 'Smartphone' thru their acquisition of 'Handspring'."

As much as I now loathe Apple, Palm did not not invent the PDA, it was actually apple with the Apple Newton. Palm was just successful. I'm sure they would have a ton of patents tho.
    well, apple didn't invent the PDA. it was a tiny company called PSION that introduced the concept in 1986 with the product called Organizer II. Followed by Psion's Series 3, in 1991, which began to resemble the more familiar PDA style. It also had a full keyboard-

Apple introduced Newton in 1992.

Nokia introduced the first mobile phone with full PDA functionality, the 9000 Communicator in 1996. So Apple can't claim to be the inventor of the first smartphone either.....
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I did read it but the comments (admittedly in the other thread) seemed to indicate that most either didn't know that the iPad was in dev for years or they'd forgotten it.

While tabs and slates existed prior to iPad, of course, the iPad -- esp the novelty of it's pricing and using a mobile OS -- caught everyone off guard in the tech industry.

The whole premise of this article is silly. Red meat to the carnivores, as it were.
    How so? All it shows is the claim that HP was copying Apple is unfounded. HP had a design for a tablet device called the TouchPad long before Apple put the iPad out on the market. And given Apple's secrecy about the project, HP obviuosly came up with this design on their own.

In the end this patent does two things: prevents Apple from suing HP and explains why HP felt the need to buy Palm.

This was their patent but the slate was the first one out. Obviously HP was not happy with windows on a tablet and so they bought Palm to remedy that problem. So the TouchPad design we are using today could actually predate the iPad1.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    How so? All it shows is the claim that HP was copying Apple is unfounded. HP had a design for a tablet device called the TouchPad long before Apple put the iPad out on the market. And given Apple's secrecy about the project, HP obviuosly came up with this design on their own.

In the end this patent does two things: prevents Apple from suing HP and explains why HP felt the need to buy Palm.

This was their patent but the slate was the first one out. Obviously HP was not happy with windows on a tablet and so they bought Palm to remedy that problem. So the TouchPad design we are using today could actually predate the iPad1.
    Nice story. But it assumes, 1) that Apple is running around telling people that HP copied them, which they aren't. And 2) someone actually believes that the TP's final design was developed "obviously on it's own."
    I can see things being very interesting - particularly for Apple - if this is actually granted (it is only a 2 year old filing at this point).

It would be a huge nuisance to Apple given the size of the US market.
    The Google buyed "only" 17.000 patents from HellMoto...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    First was windows 7 and then when they saw that no one liked it they went for Windows 7 and Android. The former for business and the later for everyone.

And here fits the magical quote from Henry Ford
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse."
    Well before they released their Windows slate they said they were making an Android "slate". That changed to webOS after they purchased Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Well before they released their Windows slate they said they were making an Android "slate". That changed to webOS after they purchased Palm.
    I wanted to buy the hp slate when it was announced and that it was the first time I saw it.

Link from engadget showing the hp slate wearing windows

Yes they were making a lot of experiments but the first one announced was the HP Slate with windows 7. If you can find another article that says about the android before this keynote from Balmer I'll believe you.

The slate never changed to webOS because HP had already starting produce it before buying Palm. Maybe internaly they were thinking about it but it never make it out and slate was never intented to be a webOS tablet.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12