1.    #1  
    I can't find any reference in the manual or on this board to a hardware shortcut for switching between categories in the phonebook contacts list. In order to find the entry that I want rapidly, I use categories for my contacts. But if I want to look for someone in a different category than I normally use, I have to take out the stylus. Is there another way of switching categories?

Conrad
    <META> Phonebook Phone Book categories category </META>
    Just leave the phone category set to "all".
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it. However, I have about 100 contacts entries - if I leave it on All, it'll take me two minutes to scroll through all of them or I'd have to peck out the letters in their names on the keyboard.

A faster way of finding an entry is to use categories that have no more than 20 entries in them. Then I could just hop to the category and scroll down a couple of entires.

Conrad
    Is it because you don't remember their name?
    If you just type the first initial followed by the first few letters of their last name it should go right to the person your looking for...
    just trying to help...
    You can also try a utility called "powerjog". Great for using the jog dial to select apps and control buttons on the treo without have to tap on the screen:

http://palmgear.com/software/showsof...8&prodID=40142

This will allow you to select the categories icon from the address book and it will pull down the menu so that you can scroll to the cat. you want.
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the pointer! I'll give that a try.
    best,
    Conrad
    Originally posted by Conrad
    Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it. However, I have about 100 contacts entries - if I leave it on All, it'll take me two minutes to scroll through all of them or I'd have to peck out the letters in their names on the keyboard.

A faster way of finding an entry is to use categories that have no more than 20 entries in them. Then I could just hop to the category and scroll down a couple of entires.

Conrad
    I have more than 600 entries in my address book and my category is always set to All. Pecking a couple of letters on the keyboard should be almost always faster than changing the category then scrolling. It takes at least two strokes to change the category. If you're going to "expend" two strokes, you might as well use them to home in on the exact contact you want (or one that is very near to it).

Just my $0.02.
    Conrad,

the Contacts app searches simultaneously for First name/Last name/Frirst initial, last name. I have 50 entries and never have to type more than three letters to get to a contact. Also, if you leave the first and last name fields blank, it will search by company name.
  9. r_b
    I faced this problem the day I got my Treo. fortunatly, thanks to a developer online, He got me the old Adress book back and I have been using it for 4 months now with no problems.

Remember the good old days with the non inflated adress book? where you click on the address book button and it will switch the category. I have it now assigned to the datebook button.

try it, I am attaching it here.

By the way, it does not conflict with any application including treo's inflated adress book

RB
    Attached Files Attached Files
  10.    #10  
    AddressBook Classic is great! Thanks RB! My only complaint is that it doesn't integrate the JogWheel. Do you still have any contact with the developer? Is there anyway I could look at the source? I'd be happy to add support for the JogWheel.

Thanks again.