1.    #1  
    Is the price slashing really because of poor sales or is it just HP business model?

HP TouchPad Failure Could Benefit Apple, Microsoft - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/11/2011 at 09:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    i think its a little bit of both
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    both in my opinion
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    You know what, so what if it's because of poor sales? If it was because of poor sales, and the price drops improves sales, then what's the problem?

These people are just baiting visitors with these sensationalist articles.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You know what, so what if it's because of poor sales? If it was because of poor sales, and the price drops improves sales, then what's the problem?

These people are just baiting visitors with these sensationalist articles.
    true,
    It may be because of poor sales, but people were picking up the touchpad left and right during the big sale last week.

I think the price slash is to get webos out in the hands as many as possible. People will start talking about WEbos and create the buzz necessary to start getting people off the Ipad bandwagon.
    It only fails if they slash prices and still no one buys it, which we know isn't the case right now.
    This article makes the point the move to mobile computing is part of a "paradigm shift". HP spent $1.2B to participate in that paradigm shift (and more after the Palm acquisition developing the products) and I can't imagine they will measure success within the first few months. They had to know it would be a challenge at first to take on Apple and surely took that into consideration before spending a billion dollars. To give up after a few months or even a year would just be flushing a billion big ones down the toilet. The author makes the point in the last paragraph that HP seems determined to make the Touchpad succeed and that will require some endurance.

We are only 1.5 years into an entirely new market and over the long term.. who is the market leader right now is really not relevant (as we learned with the PC market in the early 80's - where is DEC and IBM now). If HP has the will to ride out the the next year or so in the interest of pursuing a long term strategy, they will succeed. This is about much more than having a specific product succeed. It's about participating in the computing world of the future.
    Last edited by cthetford; 08/11/2011 at 02:37 PM.
    for now, i think HP's in it to win it. mainly because the tablet market is cannibalizing the laptop sales. so they needed to make a play. not sure when a more tablet/touch friendly windows comes out. i doubt HP won't play in that field as well to cover all bases. so i can see them offering the same tablets running both OS's. getting webOS running on a PC might just be a prelude to that dual booting tablet in the future..
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Nothing coming out of HP over the last year suggests that they were going to attempt a low margin, high volume strategy - this is a response to sales. Moreover I'm guessing that it's also an attempt to reposition the product line before the 4G device came out at a higher price point while the lower prices devices were simply not selling - so they need to get the price of this lower to make the price of the 4g more realistic according to what the market will bear for this (if that makes sense?).

The filp to this of course is this is great for user adoption and for app development and that's all most people here should care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

The filp to this of course is this is great for user adoption and for app development and that's all most people here should care about.
    That's what I thought too, but now ift seems the quick price cut just keeps pople waiting for more cut.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Well that's what seems to be developing over the last couple of days, so even people who were interested are now hearing that HP are going to have to slash prices to get rid of 200,000 units sitting in a warehouse at bestbuy. It's then irrelevant if the story was actually true as it becomes self-fulfilling.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    That's what I thought too, but now ift seems the quick price cut just keeps pople waiting for more cut.
    Right, I remember how we are posting like mad about irrational TP price just before TP launch. It's still unexplainable to me why HP took this course with Ipad price matching. This discounts are for sure result of extremely bad sales. What is more important, HP has few more TP variants on their way, so panic in HP sales tranches has probably reached extreme levels, because there is not enough interest for existing models. Now they started uncontrolled discount rampage which may draw people from buying TP while waiting to see best deal and what price will be when new models arrive and fail to sell for initial prices. That all shows how Jon screwed HP with Palm purchase, selling them "easy access" in ultra mobile market for only 1.2 Billion. This also is good example, how big companies could be self destructive.