Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Talking out of my **** because I'm only picking my TouchPad up later today and therefore don't have much practical experience with it -- but older webOS versions (up to webOS 2) throttled download speeds, even over wifi, to a certain speed that escapes me at the moment. So even if your network supported higher speeds, the phone wouldn't.

Since people are saying the problem is with network speed, could this be part of the issue? There is an unthrottle patch for webOS 1 and 2, is there one for webOS 3? If so, that just MAY improve skype video chat quality by widening the interpipe the video is channeled through...
    Have you seen the picture quality with just taking a picture?
    After seeing that I wouldn't expect the video to be all that great either.
    I think the camera is a 1.3mp so its not going to be that great anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Talking out of my **** because I'm only picking my TouchPad up later today and therefore don't have much practical experience with it -- but older webOS versions (up to webOS 2) throttled download speeds, even over wifi, to a certain speed that escapes me at the moment. So even if your network supported higher speeds, the phone wouldn't.

Since people are saying the problem is with network speed, could this be part of the issue? There is an unthrottle patch for webOS 1 and 2, is there one for webOS 3? If so, that just MAY improve skype video chat quality by widening the interpipe the video is channeled through...
    there is a patch and it doesnt really make a difference with the video. it sucks either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    I think the camera is a 1.3mp so its not going to be that great anyways.
    Considering that the TouchPad only has a .8mp screen, yeah, 1.3mp is WAY enough for a good image. In fact it's even slightly overkill.

It's not the megapixels. It's more likely to be a compression issue, or an issue with the camera simply being bad. But if it's bad, the megapixels aren't the reason why.
    The camera is 1.3mp and taking pictures with it look perfectly fine (did ANY of you have a camera back int he VGA phone camera days?). The pictures are OK, but the video does get EXTREMELY choppy and pixelated with movement. It's definitely a compression issue.
    Probably a compression issue but my Touchpad works just fine for Skype and I've used it over a public wifi signal at a cafe. Not a big deal to me but I can see where others would want better performance from it.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    TP to TP Skype call is acceptable (barely) and works the best. TP to PC is unacceptable. My experience anyway. Skype call is too PC in Sao Paulo, Brazil and video is good on TP side but too choppy on PC side. We have to end up switching to MacBook to continue call and both sides are happy after that. Also just switched from DSL (5/.6) to Comcast (16/5) and are back to decent bandwidth! 12 months on my into rate before I have to switch back to dsl... Hopefully I have more options by then!
    Macbook 1.83 C2D
    DNS-323 1TB Raid1
    Boxee Box
    As others have said 1.3mp is adequate for video chat. In fact, for low bandwidth connections like wifi this is even preferable than higher density (5mp for example) because there is less data to compress and less data to transfer. I'm not sure what the problem is with Skype on WebOS but I'm hoping that when Android is operational that camera usages/applications will be much better. Just a thought.
    When I first got the TP I had the same issue, but after doing the patches and the overclock it has gotten much better. The most important thing is there has to be a lot of light in the room. If it is dim, the camera is crappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    The iPad 2 has a 0.3 mp and the quality is much better. My phone is 1.3mp and the quality is much better. There has to be something else going on.
    My wife has an iPhone and the camera on that (belove it's the same as the iPad 2 one for the front) is "garbage".
    Odds are a lot of the problem is the same thing that's the problem with almost every other app in the TouchPad marketplace. It's half-assed beta.
    cgk likes this.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    i have a 1.3mp on my hp laptop, and it is a million times better than my touchpad- weak sausage.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpeo88 View Post
    i have a 1.3mp on my hp laptop, and it is a million times better than my touchpad- weak sausage.
    specs on this laptop?? any more info instead of weak sauce might be nice.

thanks
    its not always about megapixels.
    When I first got my TP i noticed the camera was extremely choppy. Then I happened to use it at work one day, where the connection is slower, but the lighting is way better and noticed it was perfectly fine. Not high quality of course, but not choppy. Did an experiment at my house and realized that the TP needs excellent lighting in order to work properly. I've used skype since discovering this and the only issues I have had are some international calls there was a delay in the audio.
    When using Skype, do you hold the Touchpad so the camera is at the top or the bottom? I tried Skype and put the camera at the top. It looks like the camera is aimed straight out so if I held the Touchpad so I could see the screen, the camera took a picture of the top of my head. To give the other party a clear shot of my face, I had to put my face directly in front of the camera but then I'd have to look down to see the other party in the call.

Do other people experience this or is my camera just aimed too high?
    I agree - video quality is absolutely unacceptable.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbymd7 View Post
    its not always about megapixels.
    That's what she said.

Sorry couldn't resist.
  20. xpl
    the only complaint that i have is that the volume rocker is somehow loose, does anyone else have this problem? It wobbles arount a lot
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast