Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpadder View Post
    Your iPhone was not unaffected. It was a design issue; you just never encountered it. Also, one dead TouchPad != a bad product. Considering the number that have been sold and the small number of threads complaining about bricked TouchPads (and most due to webOSDoctor) I see no cause for alarm.
    Doesn't matter if my iPhone was the one iPhone that was built right or I just never encountered it, I still got lucky.

And these bricked Touchpads are not a result of WebOS Doctor. It just gets stuck when trying to restore it...but the issue resulted from something else.

And yes I know, forums are where people complain otherwise half of us wouldn't be here.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    wow this thread is so scattered
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Can we PLEASE get a decent browsing experience? This is by far the worst browser I have ever used on any platform.
    Honestly, I don't understand why people complain about browsing on the TP. I am new to WebOS but I find it to be quite enjoyable. What is the issue for you specifically?
    Finally Pre likes this.
    You're the only person who thinks the browsing experience is bad. Every review I've read from every tech site says it's the best browser on any tablet/mobile device.
    Finally Pre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zandroid View Post
    Can we PLEASE get a decent browsing experience? This is by far the worst browser I have ever used on any platform.
    Zandroid, I have a few questions first. You have asked who can't wait to get android on their TP, about getting droid apps on the TP, getting an Apple keyboard to work on the TP and now you are complaining in 2 or three threads about the browser.

My first question is why not sell you TP to someone here that would like it so you can purchase an android type? You might even sell it for more than you payed if you got firesale pricing.

Second we understand you like Android and even have it in your user name here. Why not help us and do research and study to become an expert on android for the WebOS community and make constructive suggestions?

Thank you for the opportunity to reply to you.

As far as the browser. There is already one additional available and by year end there should be a few more. Just give it a little time.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 09/05/2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhijack View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand why people complain about browsing on the TP. I am new to WebOS but I find it to be quite enjoyable. What is the issue for you specifically?
    Truly terrible Javascript performance, especially on sites that make heavy use of Javascript (like Gmail, Google Reader, and Yahoo Fantasy Football). Overly aggressive caching. No support for bookmarklets. The lack of convenient shortcuts, like tapping the menu bar to return to the top of a page, coupled with the slow scrolling (which is further compounded by the lack of inertial scrolling!). Web sites not loading unless that specific browser card has focus. Not rendering Typekit fonts. No bookmark management features whatsoever. The inability to accurately position the cursor in a text field.

There are probably more problems with the TouchPad's browser, but those are the ones that quickly came to mind. I'm with zandroid on this one - the browser is pretty terrible to use.
    Finally Pre and Peep like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Truly terrible Javascript performance, especially on sites that make heavy use of Javascript (like Gmail, Google Reader, and Yahoo Fantasy Football). Overly aggressive caching. No support for bookmarklets. The lack of convenient shortcuts, like tapping the menu bar to return to the top of a page, coupled with the slow scrolling (which is further compounded by the lack of inertial scrolling!). Web sites not loading unless that specific browser card has focus. Not rendering Typekit fonts. No bookmark management features whatsoever. The inability to accurately position the cursor in a text field.

There are probably more problems with the TouchPad's browser, but those are the ones that quickly came to mind. I'm with zandroid on this one - the browser is pretty terrible to use.
    That is a well written complaint. I commend you on backing your overall issues with noted concerns and shortcomings. This means something. It also allows others to understand what is the basis for a complaint. Again nice job.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Let me start by saying that I love webOS. My Pre3 is great, it runs fast and smoothly without a hitch, etcetc.

But my touchpad is painfully slow. I have 3.0.2, I've installed the numerous logging patches on prepare, I've even got it at 1.5Ghz on Govnah/ uberkernel.

I've been using both the standard and advanced browsers and they are so slow. Not only that, they seem freeze at a software level, yknow buttons stop working, pages get stuck even though they work on other platforms. It seems to take about 10 taps to get a text box to accept input. Even as I'm typing this, the screen is inexplicably scrolling up with every keytap (I'm using the BT keyboard).

Isn't this what tablets are meant to be good at? I mean its great to have a tablet to 'just check something on the internet', but if it takes so long to do, and is so unresponsive, that it would be quicker to boot up my ancient laptop, then it kindof defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I'm almost even favouring the Ipad2 (shock horror) complete with its inability to load half of the pages that I want to see.

Seriously though, what am I missing? Why is my Pre3 so easy to do this stuff, and the touchpad such a struggle?
    The Touchpad is blazingly fast. It's the browser that needs a lot of work. Maybe the rumored update will help. It is the weakest part of the device.
    honestly, mind you this is my first webOS device, my touchpad flies, it is very quick to load webpages and it flies from card to card. I don't know if yours or my experience is common but as far as I can see it is very fast.
    Mine is super fast with F4.
    it's a common problem. That's why there are patches and overclocking tweaks. My stock device was so slow that it was essentially unusable. I compared it to my wife's ipad2 and the result was embarassing. I have tried the patches, overclocking and changed web Brower preferences, I would say over clocking to 1.7G and turn off JavaScript, flash player made the most difference. The patches made no noticeable difference for web browsing. My web browser is on par with ipad2 now and sometimes faster.
    Despite what others have been experiencing my browsing experience is very fast. I read maybe the router you have plays a role.
    my touchpad is very slow also. i told it to go make me a sandwich around 12p, and it hasn't moved yet

=(
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

MobileBill23 likes this.
    The main issue I have with the performance is that the web browser can only handle 1-2 cards if you're viewing any media rich pages.
    As soon as you go over 3 or so cards, it starts unloading the previous ones.
    mine is rather rapid and smokes my HP notebook for speed. It can lag every now and then when I'm downloading 2 or 3 things at once but apart from that its a fab piece of kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Let me start by saying that I love webOS. My Pre3 is great, it runs fast and smoothly without a hitch, etcetc.

But my touchpad is painfully slow. I have 3.0.2, I've installed the numerous logging patches on prepare, I've even got it at 1.5Ghz on Govnah/ uberkernel.

I've been using both the standard and advanced browsers and they are so slow. Not only that, they seem freeze at a software level, yknow buttons stop working, pages get stuck even though they work on other platforms. It seems to take about 10 taps to get a text box to accept input. Even as I'm typing this, the screen is inexplicably scrolling up with every keytap (I'm using the BT keyboard).

Isn't this what tablets are meant to be good at? I mean its great to have a tablet to 'just check something on the internet', but if it takes so long to do, and is so unresponsive, that it would be quicker to boot up my ancient laptop, then it kindof defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I'm almost even favouring the Ipad2 (shock horror) complete with its inability to load half of the pages that I want to see.

Seriously though, what am I missing? Why is my Pre3 so easy to do this stuff, and the touchpad such a struggle?
    If there is no hyperbole in your post, than there might be something wrong. Mine freezes, but it is infrequent (still annoying, but doesn't make me want to throw it at the wall or anything). Some things are slow, but I wouldn't describe it as painfully slow. Some of your complaints involve issues unrelated to speed (I share some of them).
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    If there is no hyperbole in your post, than there might be something wrong. Mine freezes, but it is infrequent (still annoying, but doesn't make me want to throw it at the wall or anything). Some things are slow, but I wouldn't describe it as painfully slow. Some of your complaints involve issues unrelated to speed (I share some of them).
    A bit of both- I don't normally have as many problems as I've had today, and probably because I had many tabs open in the advanced browser, some with NFL game trackers on.

As to many of them not being speed related, you're right, I meant more as a kind of 'I'm finding the TP not satisfactory as a general browsing platform, please discuss' type thread. Besides I figured that using the title 'Why is my touchpad so rubbish?' was more likely to provoke a flame war

I think the point I was making is that I'm a little disappointed with the TP, it seems generally laggy, the transitions and card browsing seems generally stuttery even when I have only one or two browsing tabs open, and I don't understand why given my Pre3 is silky smooth.
    you guys expect perfection right away. Technology is just starting to evolve. I wonder what a tablet will really look like 10 years from now. I have installed all on my touchpad but I can tell you that disabling FLASH makes a difference. If you want to watch flash content on a page, just turn it back on, simple as that.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast