Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    You're preaching to the choir buddy...
    Mine seemed to run perfectly fine on 3.0.2, the patches only made it that much more snappy.
    I dunno, I just tested my daughter's 16gb TouchPad with no mods in the flash thread, and consistent with my experience with my 32gb TouchPad before I modded it had no problems with it.

I honestly don't know what you all are complaining about - from my perspective you're making demands that even the other tablets can't meet (again, from my perspective).
    One could ask that about all webOS devices
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    if you guys dont want them i'll take them off your hands
    This is why they are promising quick updates, because most people will not install patches.
    They probably had to pick the July date weeks or months in advance in order to get the marketing plans set and the channel prepared and to launch it right after their huge enterprise conference in June. As well July was the 1 year anniversary of Palm acquisition. Too bad the tablet was not ready in July. Still, you have to roll with the punches and now that webOS is getting some mindshare, lets see HP go with the momentum and get out some updates and either find a hardware partner or have the spun off PSG group do it.
    I like my touchpad. I'll like it even better when the keyboard I just ordered arrives. Out of all the negatives that were posted about the TP the only thing I really find myself agreeing with is the complaints about weight, as I do wish it were lighter as the case I have adds some weight and bulk. It's not a deal breaker, tho. I'm actually going to see if I can find another if HP doesn't come through. I've been trying to get my brother interested in the internet for years, it's almost like he was afraid the PC. He actually ASKED me for the TP today. THAT'S progress. There are some minor freezes, and I do get impatient at time, but it hasn't been any worse than any other touchscreen product I've used. I'd buy it again, but I probably wouldn't pay more than 350.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    as stated mutiple times here - out of the box is something that is to be expected
    1) you have to update to 3.0.2 (i am sure apple never has updates)
    2) one of the highlights of webOS is the synergy - unfortunately it takes a day or 2 to settle down -- after a few days everything gets better
    3) the webOS experience is something that you might not be used to -- i have picked up both the samsung galexy tab 10.1 and the ipad 2 and they both frustrated the heck out of me -- i am a webOS guy -- a palm guy for years and years so i have biases -- but here is an honest observance -- my daughter will puch past the ipad 2 to play with my touch pad every time (it ****es me off because it means i have to do without until her bed time) if you are not used to it i would ask that you get used to it. join the community as a positive member add preware to your tablet and patch and overclock it -- yeah sure hp should have polished the hell out of the device but the community here makes the devices better -- Apple fights their community and keeps these kind of comments to a minimum by locking everything down and not allowing any customization. that is a matter of preference -- if all you want is for it to work and to work as designed with not concern for what the individual might want or need then that is where you should go -- if you want the ability to make the experience yours then WELCOME
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Yeah I'd feel sorry for people that don't update or patch their device, it was kinda slow before. Even after the apps don't open as sappy as they do on an iPad but I like the change in os. I've been using ios for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I like my touchpad. I'll like it even better when the keyboard I just ordered arrives. Out of all the negatives that were posted about the TP the only thing I really find myself agreeing with is the complaints about weight, as I do wish it were lighter as the case I have adds some weight and bulk. It's not a deal breaker, tho. I'm actually going to see if I can find another if HP doesn't come through. I've been trying to get my brother interested in the internet for years, it's almost like he was afraid the PC. He actually ASKED me for the TP today. THAT'S progress. There are some minor freezes, and I do get impatient at time, but it hasn't been any worse than any other touchscreen product I've used. I'd buy it again, but I probably wouldn't pay more than 350.
    i will give you the weight is more -- and if you do not use the touchstone then that weight holds no true benifit for you -- i have a TS on my desk at work -- by the couch and by the bed -- i have a touchpad as does my wife and daughter -- (love fire sales -- need one at the jeep dealership) the ability to set the tablet on the touchstone is one that i have loved since it was concieved and this is a part of the additional weight. if HP had continued webOS production then the touch to share feature in a future phone would have made the additional weight even more null in my eyes ( i just thought of something and will have to sneak into my daughters room and see if two tp's can touch to share...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Sukiyaki likes this.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    1. Apple used the same iOS as the phones so it was a huge advantage (before saying that ipad was just as buggy know that it was not)
    2. I'm expecting the TP to load web pages at least as well as my Iphone, it does not
    it took me over 5 min to get this site to load proper, sometimes it takes 3 reloads for the forum to load proper.
    3. Yes its a tablet yet my old 486 could do some things better, the processor and 1gb of ram is 100 times if maybe 1000 times more powerful than my old 486
    for the basics to work well is not asking too much
    While I used it for almost a month before the update, the device should have really launched with 3.0.2 on it. HP should have waited until that was ready. They didn't have all of their advertising ready from the start, so what was the rush to launch it on July 1?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    1. Apple used the same iOS as the phones so it was a huge advantage (before saying that ipad was just as buggy know that it was not)
    2. I'm expecting the TP to load web pages at least as well as my Iphone, it does not
    it took me over 5 min to get this site to load proper, sometimes it takes 3 reloads for the forum to load proper.
    3. Yes its a tablet yet my old 486 could do some things better, the processor and 1gb of ram is 100 times if maybe 1000 times more powerful than my old 486
    bs, the forum loads faster on my tp than my transformer and ipad1.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    You may have other issues you are blaming the TouchPad for at this point. The page loading time could simply be your wireless connection. There are several threads here talking about this where long page loads are due to the wireless modem being used not working correctly with the TouchPad. You are using an incredibly large for such broad strokes blaming everything on the hardware when there are many other possible factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    I dunno, I just tested my daughter's 16gb TouchPad with no mods in the flash thread, and consistent with my experience with my 32gb TouchPad before I modded it had no problems with it.

I honestly don't know what you all are complaining about - from my perspective you're making demands that even the other tablets can't meet (again, from my perspective).
    For a $100 tablet, performance is exceptional. At release pricing of $499 for 16GB (which is basically the same as the earlier released iPad 2), it was unacceptable. As can be seen on this forum and webos-internals, there are simple tweaks (such as minimizing logging) that HP could have done to greatly improve system responsiveness without even touching CPU clock speed. The UI is great. It's just performance and bugs that need to be ironed out.

I dunno about you but with the excess of desktop CPU power we have at our disposal and recent price drops on SSD's, I've gotten used to instantaneous loading of applications on the PC. I find the wait times and hiccups on an unpatched TouchPad to be pretty unbearable.
    Last edited by hnzw_rui; 08/31/2011 at 12:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    ( i just thought of something and will have to sneak into my daughters room and see if two tp's can touch to share...

Yes you can tts from TP to TP. I will eventually get a touchstone as I want to use the exhibition mode and wireless charging. I love it for my pre-. My TP wasn't a planned purchase, I was holding off until Christmas, so it has cut into my funds. I got the keyboard tonight, as that was most important since the case acts as a stand. Tho I probably shouldn't have spent that. I will see if I can find the TS later. If I had to I could live with charging by cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i will give you the weight is more -- and if you do not use the touchstone then that weight holds no true benifit for you -- i have a TS on my desk at work -- by the couch and by the bed -- i have a touchpad as does my wife and daughter -- (love fire sales -- need one at the jeep dealership) the ability to set the tablet on the touchstone is one that i have loved since it was concieved and this is a part of the additional weight. if HP had continued webOS production then the touch to share feature in a future phone would have made the additional weight even more null in my eyes ( i just thought of something and will have to sneak into my daughters room and see if two tp's can touch to share...
    Quote Originally Posted by thetaro View Post
    bs, the forum loads faster on my tp than my transformer and ipad1.
    yeah it only takes a few seconds to load, my router isn't the greatest and I had just recently lowered my internet speed.
    I have to refresh because of the cache issue, but it's not a big deal.
    Who here is like me? I spent $99 on a HP TP, but now I've spent close to $50 on apps, accessories, and screen protectors. I'm done with spending money on this device.

Unlike my iPad, I've bought very few apps, maybe $20 worth. And iPad accessories are fairly cheap if you make purchases at monoprice.
    HP Touchpad 16GB
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    And yet $99 + $50 is still less than whatever you paid for the iPad not including accessories and apps.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    pk1234 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    Who here is like me? I spent $99 on a HP TP, but now I've spent close to $50 on apps, accessories, and screen protectors. I'm done with spending money on this device.

Unlike my iPad, I've bought very few apps, maybe $20 worth. And iPad accessories are fairly cheap if you make purchases at monoprice.
    Wouldn't the overall cost of all the apps and accessories you've purchased for your touchpad be significantly less than what you've already spent on your iPad?

I mean, my brother has an iPad, and with the smart cover and backing he's at close to $900 before any apps. My touchpad cost me $150, I am supposedly getting a 50 dollar rebate, and have the $50 app credit. With accessories (2 touchstones and a case), I'm at around maybe $250 spent.

To each their own, but I think that the Touchpad's value is unmatched. Not to mention webOS is the best :-D
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast