Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718
Like Tree82Likes
  1.    #341  
    Since this the thread has become a winding list of complaints about webOS and/or the TouchPad...

<<thread merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    I understand how notifications work.
    Sorry, I wasnt saying anyone didn't understand how notifications work... I guess I should have used "one" instead of "you"

Anyway, I was saying I see the email notifications as flawed. I would prefer a way to see all the new emails without opening the app.

Look at how youview app handles voice mail, it cycles through them instead of just showing how many and the latest one on top.

What if email did that and one could open just the one that one wants to read at that point and leave the others still in the notification area.
    I am talking about the notifications on the bottom of the screen. An email comes in, a text waiting to be read and you can sweep it away 10 times only to have it reappear each time unless you open the item and read it. It gets in the way of other things you may be doing.
    If they didn't think that a person that would have a need or desire to zoom an incoming email but not an outgoing email, they deserve to have been shut down - IMHO. That's sloppy and makes emailing on the go too much of a crapshoot to be useful.
    What is an example of why one would need to zoom while composing email?
    I am talking about the notifications on the bottom of the screen. An email comes in, a text waiting to be read and you can sweep it away 10 times only to have it reappear each time unless you open the item and read it. It gets in the way of other things you may be doing.
    Really, we are both talking about webos phones right? I thought it goes away once you dismiss it. Either I am wrong or you forgot how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    There is no example for why you would NEED to, however there may be instances where you might WANT to...that's what webOS was all about right? Doing what you want?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    If they didn't think that a person that would have a need or desire to zoom an incoming email but not an outgoing email, they deserve to have been shut down - IMHO. That's sloppy and makes emailing on the go too much of a crapshoot to be useful.
    Really, I have composed many many emails with my phone and it never once occured to me that I might want to zoom in. What were you doing that made you want to zoom. Texts too small? You were trying to move the curser, composing one of those fancy html emails with pictures and links? I'm just curious.

To say something is a flaw you at least should be able to say how it makes your task more difficult and fixing it would make it easier.

For example, flash pausing on screen change in the browser is bad because one can't listen to an npr podcast and do something else at the same time. That's a flaw to me
    Last edited by laingman; 07/07/2012 at 09:17 AM.
    I can think of a few reasons off the top of my head. To make sure the punctuation is correct (hard to tell sometime with text that small of an errant period got put in instead of a comma, checking spelling, etc.
    Really, I have composed many many emails with my phone and it never once occured to me that I might want to zoom in. What were you doing that made you want to zoom. Texts too small? You were trying to move the curser, composing one of those fancy html emails with pictures and links? I'm just curious.

To say something is a flaw you at least should be able to say how it makes your task more difficult and fixing it would make it easier.

For example, flash pausing on screen change in the browser is bad because one can't listen to an npr podcast and do something else at the same time. That's a flaw to me
    Maybe we send different types of emails? I don't use it to send an email to a friend that says - ok c u l8ter.

If I am going to send or respond to an email, it will be a "real" email that can't appear as it was written by a 17 year old on their way to the skate park.

I need to be able to review what I am sending. Don't even get me started on moving the curser. That could make me curse right there.

I certainly would not try and send a "fancy" email with pictures and links from this phone. It has never crossed my mind.
  10.    #350  
    Please take it easy with the snarky replies. Discussing is one thing, but walking the line of insulting is another.

My 2cents - I use my phone every day for work. I write emails (professional) to co-workers, customers, and partners daily. I've had to zoom in on received emails before, but not once have I ever thought about, or needed to zoom in on an email I was composing. Just never needed to. Someone else may need to because they have trouble reading the screen, but that doesn't make it a flaw for everyone.
    Also - I don't find notifications all that intrusive. Yes, a notification pops up at the bottom of the screen showing a new email came in, but to get rid of it you just tap the little icon to maximize the notification (not open the email) and then swipe the notification away. I have no idea why it's being said that the notifications keep coming back after dismissing them. I've never had them come back after swiping them away.

Anyhow - from a business power-user, I've never needed the ability to zoom in on emails while composing them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't use it if it were there. Just means I don't personally see it as a huge "design flaw". The webOS team was indeed working on a large update when HP pulled the plug. Lots of items were on the map to be addressed. But once HP made their announcement, the updates stopped where they were and everything was finished and tied up where progress had reached at that time. If this zooming ability was to be part of the items being addressed, I can't say - but I personally wouldn't call this one a 'design flaw'. /2cents
    Just adding my 2 cents - I can see no reason why someone would find a need to zoom on an incoming email yet not find a need to zoom on an outgoing email. To *ME* that's a huge design flaw.

I can only speak from my own experience but I have notifications popping back up all the time. Why? Who knows.

I think that the fact that WebOS was never updated above 1.4.5.1 on the devices that were sold to the most people - Pre, Pixi. Pre Plus, Pixi Plus - was a huge reason that interest waned in the OS and by the time WebOS 2 was released the entire line was yesterday's news.

A terrible confluence of events that took promise and squandered it.
    Email font nice and big plus webos highlights everything that was auto corrected in addition to misspelled words.

Of course you should proof read for grammar, but in general, email is one of the best apps on webos and would be way down on the list of fixes at palm if at all. The browser now that's a different story.

But it seems like you are looking at this from the original pre and maybe never used auto correct.

I mean I haven't seen too many cards error in ages
    To me if email is not simple, easy to use and reliable on a mobile device, that mobile device is B level at best.

I'm not sure which feature supports your claim of the best email out there.
    After one year of minimal use (partially because of losing the initial wow factor very quickly, and because not really having enough time to tinker with it or to install Android, etc.), today I sold my beloved 32GB HP TouchPad for $160. I had the original HP folio on it, and the condition was like new. I must have spent probably $25 on apps but that's about it.

I started using the new iPad for work, and it's nothing new that I love it just as much as the TouchPad. It didn't make sense for me to hoard the HP tablet so I let someone else use it cost to cost since I paid almost the same money for it one year ago.

I really hoped that the WebOS stayed afloat with more and more updates, fixing the slightly lagging keyboard, and adding a bunch of apps on top of what's already out there. Preware community was exceptionally helpful.

The touchpad's gone, but long live WebOS, hopefully.

Have you sold yours? planning to?
    still my most used tablet, dont use the 2 android ones or the ipad3 much beyond novelty interest (the odd game, netflix or tv app)
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by billionaiire View Post
    After one year of minimal use (partially because of losing the initial wow factor very quickly, and because not really having enough time to tinker with it or to install Android, etc.), today I sold my beloved 32GB HP TouchPad for $160. I had the original HP folio on it, and the condition was like new. I must have spent probably $25 on apps but that's about it.

I really hoped that the WebOS stayed afloat with more and more updates, fixing the slightly lagging keyboard, and adding a bunch of apps on top of what's already out there. Preware community was exceptionally helpful.

The touchpad's gone, but long live WebOS, hopefully.

Have you sold yours? planning to?
    Congrats on the sell, I will say you are quite lucky that you were able to sell such an antique piece of hardware like the HP TouchPad. Looking at the market today, it will be really hard selling an HP touchpad at $160 or $170....And about planning on selling my HP TouchPad, tempted as I might be(really)...I think that I wouldn't be able to find buyers for it. I think that people when tapping to open the HP catalog(and its no apps) and its slow stock browser, and slowness to boot and many will say NO Thank-You Very Much. And add that to the fact of ''NO MORE SOFTWARE BY HP'' you could find that many consumers shying away from the TouchPad.

We all hope that WebOS will get updates and apps, sadly enough HP/WebOS team don't seem eager at improving or attracting developers at all....and more frustrating thing will be that WebOS Touchpad won't receive any update that could fix those glitches that has cropped up in 3.0.5 with the sound bug, problems with the browser, among others things.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  17.    #357  
    <threads merged>
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718