Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    I gave my three kids and my daughter's fiance all Touchpads for Christmas - they're having a ball with them. Facebook, Robotek, Solitaire, USA Today, weather, Assassin's Creed, Asphalt6, Takeover (Othello), plus hundreds of free programs via Preware/Homebrew...

The only problem we've found is getting Skype video to work on all of them - hopefully I'll get that fixed soon. But we found plenty of apps that run, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by "bugs" either. To what were you referring?
    If you want a youtube app just download one from the app catalog.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Sorry to hear you weren't pleased. Yes, there is an acknowledged issue with HP's servers for updating the device's software version. If needed, you could simply download the newest Doctor and run that.
    Well I'm not totally disappointed since the main purpose of the tablet was just to do simple internet tasks. So if they are happy, I'm happy I gave them my unopened 32gb. But to me, a tablet is more than that and when trying to show them the cool stuff it pretty much failed lol.

As far as apps... not sure what you are talking about as far as warning them about "apps they choose because of bugs" Wha? I've no idea what bugs you are referring to.
    Some apps have a few bugs and the lack of developer support to fix them is sketchy. Like that Asphalt game cannot be controlled correctly by steering the TP with the latest webOS update, but Need for Speed still works that way.

As for not having a YouTube app... why would you want one? This isn't a phone with a limited screen size... it's a tablet. Use the browser. LOL If you want a little faster load time, just point the browser to the mobile version of YouTube. I've never understood why people want certain apps that are basically mini-browser looks designed for phones. For YouTube, my banking site, news, etc... that have full site for access, I just use the browser and bookmark the site. Even better if you use Advanced Browser - then you have tabs and bookmark icons.
    Yeah it's all about the load time and saving time. I never knew of the mobile version of youtube. Just used it now and it's even worse. The whole issue is the speed. The TP browser performance is already a bit weak, so adding extra stress (loading the whole page) while loading a flash video in the browser is more waste of time than a dedicated optimized app. That's the way I see it.

Flash is a nice feature to have in a tablet, but it is far from perfect on this tablet, and a well designed and optimized app could be a better user experience. For example, I enjoy the justin.tv apps performance on my ipad than justin.tv in the TP browser loading the whole page with flash ads on the sides and bottom. Also the video performance is a lot more sketchy on the TP, and I have to full screen (no more chatting) to get better performance.

Another example is the Pandora TP app. I rather use the Pandora app over the TP browser any day (pandora notification at the top right is nice) and there are no ads in the app. I find well designed dedicated apps a better user experience than something in a browser because they can be optimized and designed for tablets/mobile phones, while most websites are designed for computers. So yeah, I see reasons to want dedicated apps if the user experience can be better.

Granted, webOS doesn't have the apps that Android has simply because HP left it hanging. Now that HP has announced the new OpenSource direction for webOS... you aren't going to see anything change (as far as apps) for at lease another year or so. If you aren't happy after a while, just sell the device and get one you do enjoy.
    I had the TP for a couple months and while it mostly just lays around, I don't regret buying it for 99 dollars. I knew what I was getting into and have experienced the hardships of webos for a few months, so I was reluctant (I don't really approve) to sell it to my sister to give as a gift for her son. She insisted because of the low price and the simple tasks they will use it for so I happily gave it to them. I'm just dissappointed I couldn't show them the cooler things a tablet could do, or apps that interest them with my time with them today.
    Last edited by tarbo; 12/25/2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Oh didn't know the general forums were for help only even though there are threads that praise the TP and diss the Ipad still alive in the front page. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiias! And the argument for the need of not having dedicated apps for certain tasks is terrible when the browser on the TP is awful for flash.
    I really like WebOS , even though i have android installled as well i still find myself going back to WebOS as i find it a much better experience.
    Shame you do not like it and you are entitled to your opinion but i dont think many people on this forum will agree with you as this is a pro WebOS site (mostly) hence the name WebOS Nation.
    Sell your Touchpad (you can get about £200 for 16gb on ebay) and buy an Ipad or something , dont buy an android tablet as you have one already.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradow View Post
    I was suckered into buying a Touchpad in the Summer of 2011, believing the hype that WebOS was OS for the internet. HP sure fooled us. Then they pulled the plug. With the stock OS as it stands it is slow, unresponsive. The browser, even the new one is a pile of pants, to the beloved Americans, that means it's CRAP. It is inconsistent when viewing video streams, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Even within the same browser session. The wireless reliability is crap. And before any one says it's my router, it's nout to do with the router. I work in IT and have tried dozens of different top notch routers. The VPN extension doesn't work properly, You have route all your traffic over the VPN.

The TouchPad Itself, in Comparison with the IPAd, scores -10. The user experience is diabolical, many useful apps need internet connectivity, even the help. The screen keyboard frequently gets the wrong character. Ano it is not my typing. How on earth can bad typing substitute a 'o' for a 'd' (and at the start of this sentence)?
    Finally, the stock apps. One of the attractions of the touchpad, in addition to its supposedly being the ideal Web tablet was that one of the stock apps was the Kindle app. And before you Americans point out that it is there. True there for you. HP and Amazon are clearly having a childish spat over licencing for the rest of the world. And yes I know I could install a work around, BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!

I'm about ready to right of the £400+ and bin the thing for an IPad.
    If you dont like the touchpad why right a post about it to webOS fans, obviously we are going to disagree. Thats your opinion so go sell it on eBay and buy an iPad already...
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    being in IT you should have known what you were buying..

The product barley got out the door so it never had the time and effort to hammer out some of the basic issues.

being a discontinued product you should have not expected much in updates and upgrades.. trust me I'm a little upset about the flash BS.. the main reason to get it was for flash.. but now no one is supporting that. Any who, I mostly got it to have something to watch vids and family pics and surf. In the meantime I'm waiting for the smart guys here to hammer out android for me.

For 99-150 bucks even if you dont get everything you want its a win.
    I was suckered into buying a Touchpad in the Summer of 2011, believing the hype that WebOS was OS for the internet. HP sure fooled us. Then they pulled the plug. With the stock OS as it stands it is slow, unresponsive. The browser, even the new one is a pile of pants, to the beloved Americans, that means it's CRAP. It is inconsistent when viewing video streams, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Even within the same browser session. The wireless reliability is crap. And before any one says it's my router, it's nout to do with the router. I work in IT and have tried dozens of different top notch routers. The VPN extension doesn't work properly, You have route all your traffic over the VPN.

The TouchPad Itself, in Comparison with the IPAd, scores -10. The user experience is diabolical, many useful apps need internet connectivity, even the help. The screen keyboard frequently gets the wrong character. Ano it is not my typing. How on earth can bad typing substitute a 'o' for a 'd' (and at the start of this sentence)?
    Finally, the stock apps. One of the attractions of the touchpad, in addition to its supposedly being the ideal Web tablet was that one of the stock apps was the Kindle app. And before you Americans point out that it is there. True there for you. HP and Amazon are clearly having a childish spat over licencing for the rest of the world. And yes I know I could install a work around, BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!

Well. It's really funny to read your post. Why you bought something that you never know. Buy gadget need some knowledge. And surely your knowledge need lots of upgrade. If you don't want to upgrade your knowledge, then better not bother posting something like your post at webOS forum and just go trash your touchpad and buy and iPad. Or else sell your touchpad at marketplace at reasonable price.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Your problem is you paid £400 for an £89 device. I am having happy with my touchpad, when I am lying around no doing much, I have access to webOS and when I need to do serious work I boot into Android, it is the best of both worlds for me.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Yeah, better buy yourself an iPad! webOS is for people who want to dig deep and do things individually. The Apple stuff mostly is for those who want to be told how to do something and where the borders are …‍

BTW: From scratch on iOS and Android weren’t as good as they are now.
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    the typing problem is simple to fix, the spell checker needs to be disabled (simple), that one fix alone took away mountains of early frustration...

OP is so PO'd right now he just focusing on the problems, not the solutions.

IT WAS EOL WHEN FIRST SOLD...

laterzzzz.....
    32g and playing
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Considering you paid too much. Which is your fault. And you don't represent the IT community very well. you do not sound too bright to me from reading your post. Just take the time and install some patches and oc and your good to go. Anytime we buy something we always tweak it for our needs. So stop whining about it and get it done.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by giggles; 01/08/2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Well, i paid close to retail for both my iPad 2 and my TouchPad.

I have them lying side by side on my desk, but every single time I've been using a tablet since i got the TouchPad three months ago, I've been handing out for that over the iPad.

The iPad certainly has it advantages over the TouchPad, but that goes the other way around. I just find the TouchPad more fun and intuitive to use. Plus i get flash in my browsing experience, and the multitasking system kicks the iPads **** back to stoneages. THOUGH the multitasking gestures in iOS 5 is a major upgrade.

Sorry, but i just think you're among the many people brainwashed into thinking that Apple products always does things the right way. Truth is that WebOS is a much more userfriendly OS, with many more features well-integrated. It comes with it's bugs at this point, but so does the iPad, and when the iPad crashes it takes hours to recover and re-sync it. If my TouchPad ever were to crash, it dont think that would be the case either.

Well, Im certianly sorry to read this... Ive seen the same post on Apple boards regarding the iPad 1 and 2, as well... sometimes, a bad one gets out of production into the hands of a consumer and, sometimes, that consumer is one that does post on a message board about it...

You will see many posts here about the TP's prowess and performance advantages over other tablets... not that its overall better than the competition, but, that it is competitive with them, and at the entry prices of $99 and $199, they are actually better bargains for many here.

WebOS as an OS was and still is a great concept - it works, but, has been sabotaged one way or another by Palm and HP, and has never fully been given a true investment worthy of its potential - having said that, even with some of its flaws that are well known, the homebrew community here are amazing and continue to make the OS work better and faster on all current webOS devices.. so much so that I have a TP (overclocked to 1.7 ghz) and a Pre 3 (overcolcked to 1.7 ghz), both performing stellarly, and I personally expect the Pre 3 to last me into 2013, at which point, I will reevaluate the smartphone market and see what the best choice is, WebOS device or not.

The TP is more of a toy for me.. a convenince for web browsing around the house, etc.. and really hasnt disappointed me at all in that regard.. games are smooth, the internet is wonderful and fast (I even get HBO movies on it = HBO GO)... so, while I do believe and respect your opinion regarding YOUR experience, mine, and many others here just aren't the same as yours.

Best of luck to you!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Bradow, since you obviously expect such amazing contradictions in everything, why don't you just send me your TouchPad, or someone else who doesn't have one, and then go get some other horrifically contradictory user experience that you also completely fail to understand how things work in?

The iOs user experience has pretty much exactly the same problems as the touchpad, although the iOS animations are typically much smoother. Yay, the animations on iOs work. Unfortunately, the supposedly much more consistent user interface is really damn difficult to operate (just open the app market on the iPad, and have a look at the giant mish mash of left-right scrollers, up-down scrollers, and scrollers that can only be operated with push buttons...). .. FFs, even their setup program was all sorts of nightmares -- it auto picked a local wireless access point to try to set itself up on, but it couldn't because that access point had a captive portal setup, and there is no way to operate the captive portal until after setup is complete. I had to go 2 blocks away out of the range of that wifi station, to be able to connect the device to my laptop so I could get the thing registered.

And the keyboard blows. Typically it's more responsive than the HP thing, but at least on the TouchPad I,d have been able to complete this message without it completely ignoring several strings of letters. The iPad keyboard is great for typing short things, but I can touch type at 80wpm on the webos keyboard, with it hardly ever losing anything, and usually if it does the autocorrect will pick up on it. I'm slowed down to about 25wpm on this iOS keyboard. And the webos keyboard layout is far superior, considering it has an entire extra row.

also, iOs on tablets was apparently written and designed to be used with a stylus, considering tht nearly all of the tap zones are WAY too small to operate with your finger. Either that or APple engineers have little tiny fingers.

Ive spent a full day with my iPad 2 now, and I'd rather write software to fill in gaps on my touchpad than to regularly use this abomination of lowest common denominator, that just happens to have amazingly smooth animations in it (usually). And that does not have a useful form of multitasking. And that really the only app tht I don't have a better version in webos that I would like to use is Words With Friends. And even the broken Android version of that has a much better design.

So, go take your idiotic rage and buy a iPad, and be just as unhappy with that, and give your touchpad to a needy person.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Whaaaaaa!

If nothing else, you paid the early adopter tax. Good thing you made another astute decision by spending time laying out your opinion in the one place where it would insult everyone and thus nobody would agree with you. If that's also how much thought you put into your tablet expectations before buying (which appears to be the case), then I can't say I have any sympathy for your disappointment.

You now get the standard offer...$50 USD to take your used, -10 score, diabolical, crap, inconsistent, pile of pants TouchPad off your hands, to help you cut your losses and put towards a precious iPad, rather than bin the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Your problem is you paid £400 for an £89 device. I am having happy with my touchpad, when I am lying around no doing much, I have access to webOS and when I need to do serious work I boot into Android, it is the best of both worlds for me.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    What I don't understand is that he bought it this *SUMMER*, he should have received the difference back from hp when they started the fire sale. Plus you post these complaints 6 months after the fact. Come on man shjt happens, you made the purchase and hopefully you learned from it.

I don't regret getting the touchpad on day one. Its just getting old coming to these forums now because threads like this are all I see or something to do with a dual boot issue.

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Settle down guys. No need for rage here. Everyone has their opinions!

An un biased review of the Touchpad and Webos can be culminated with positives and negatives.

Positives:
    1. Elegant
    2. Easy to operate
    3. Beautiful
    4. Passionate homebrew community
    5. Price, especially for Firesale buyers

Negatives:
    1. Lack of apps and half baked work in progress apps. ( I can go on about this especially with some apps that I have tried to like but cant notice how unfinished they are )
    2. Effed up Hardware with cracked speakers, blown speakers and defected units
    3. Webos slows down. They are indefinite bugs that need to be addressed
    4. lack of any foresight by HP
    IMO, best leave this thread alone, or let moderator close this thread.
    Really useless, we just eat the bait to come here and post something against the OP. I bet he just need some attention and do this in purpose.
  20.    #300  
    <threads merged>