Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    You can take out books from your public library on TouchPad Kindle. I've got a new one from the bestseller lists on my Kindle now.
    Thanks Bluenote. I'd forgotten about that. For some reason I initially thought that it would not work on the tp. I like the idea of apps like iStory (but there are other apps that are more interactive). So far ScummVM is the only way we can do that. Well, that and our library's Bookflix.

I like webOS, and I really like the tp, just to be clear, I just want more, haha. I likely will try out Android (as a dual boot).
    There are some users here that seem to have a <deleted by staff> attitude toward webOS and the TouchPad. . . they are few and you shouldn't let them get to you. You will find their kind everyone on the web. . . anonymity brings such things out in people.

However, since the fire sale the forums have been inundated with new users and some are really only here to complain which doesn't help anyone. Sure, there are real issues and people here are very willing to help. Yet there are many threads started just to rag on the TouchPad. What's the point in that? If a person hates it so much then they ought to sell it and buy a device they like.

It's a first gen device with a new OS--yes webOS is older but the version on the TouchPad is new just like Android Honeycomb--and being such there are certain first adopter issues such as, not many apps, some rough edges in the OS, etc. That's just reality.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/25/2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: posting around language filters
    I would go further and say that without webosinternals and the homebrew community the TP would really be a $99 device. As my device stands now in all its patched, tweaked, and chrooted glory, it is easily worth 3x that.

The warthog kernel just makes everything so smooth, even Communities.

Though there is definitely a lot of work. To get my LibreOffice docs to print on my Epson printer I had to download the print drivers and build the cups filter for ARM and the darn thing still doesn't work because of some DBus error, the general Epson driver that comes with Ubuntu doesn't work well so that is not an option. But ultimately I think this issue is solvable, like every other issue I've encountered on the TP.
    Mmmm, perhaps instead of just buying a $100 tablet because it was cheap, you should have researched what you were buying into. Just sell it using the forum appropriate for that.
    I think complaints are allowed as long as they are constructive. A lot of people bought the TP and complained like they're entitled to something they didn't get. I understand that this is not what this place is about and I respect that.

I bought a few apps (audiophile hd pro, comicshelf and splashtop) to support some devs and I really enjoy reading comic books in my TouchPad!!

I'm planning on donating to panel for his apps that allow me to interact with my Synology NAS because. Without them I'd probably more frustrated not to have the ability to easily access network shares (emphasis on easily)

my "complaints" would be the lack of optimizations of webOS (come on, it should fly with that hardware) and the browser could be better. oh and mplayer should have a TouchPad version too :P
    geekpeter likes this.
    <threads merged>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by neks View Post
    I think complaints are allowed as long as they are constructive. A lot of people bought the TP and complained like they're entitled to something they didn't get. I understand that this is not what this place is about and I respect that.

I bought a few apps (audiophile hd pro, comicshelf and splashtop) to support some devs and I really enjoy reading comic books in my TouchPad!!

I'm planning on donating to panel for his apps that allow me to interact with my Synology NAS because. Without them I'd probably more frustrated not to have the ability to easily access network shares (emphasis on easily)

my "complaints" would be the lack of optimizations of webOS (come on, it should fly with that hardware) and the browser could be better. oh and mplayer should have a TouchPad version too :P
    all good points, esp the bad ones you mention, its just HP's fail only waiting less than 2 months before ditching everything, great we got the product in our hands, i could wait for optimisations later, its just later seems unlikely for those optimisations now.

I was an early adopter, and tbh, i knew what i was getting into, i read extensivly on what each device/option could do before making my mind up, the touchpad/webOS route had stuff i wanted at its core, the apps issue wasnt big enough to put me off, as long as the OS did what i wanted as i wanted i was happy.

Even now, i still have what i want, i still want my touchpad/webOS, i also gained a pre3, touchstones for both, keyboard for touchpad as well, + the usual scratchproof/stickon graphics etc. We/I have more apps and their slowly increasing, i can still wait for better, it still does what i want as i want to.

Ive tried wrestling with ios/droid, and yeah they have way more apps, but therein ends the good stuff, in the same way SKY TV has heaps and heaps and heaps of channels compared to freeview, but i still watch what i prefer on freeview mostly.

keep supporting webOS devs, or keep using what you prefer, if thats droid/ios or webOS, gz stick to them, people should just not give grief to the other users in their own site, then everything would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm1200 View Post
    The calendar is implemented poorly imo.

Don't let it take 5 seconds to start each time. Start it once and card it
    You don't even need to card it, just don't slingshot it to close it and it will open instantly next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    1. there are lots and lots of posts about speed on this forum
    2. if logging is turned off or to error it isn't that slow, except for the browser's JavaScript Rendering.
    3. if speed is your biggest issues leave apps open in cards and you don't have to wait for them to load at all
    4. 3.0.4 OTA is said to be days away and helps with performance a bit.
    5. No, it most likely will not be at the speed of the iPad 2 or some Android tablets any time soon, but as pointed out in #3 there is a workaround for speed.
    Thanks! This is really good constructive feedback, that is what forums are for. Not like DizWhiz telling me to sell it and delete my account.

Cards will be a great way to zip into apps. Thanks again, I should have thought of that myself.
    Sprint pre owner here. I've had that phone since launch and I couldn't tell you how many times people asked me to show off some of the features of the phone. Screen freeze, too many card errors, slow to no response to tapping etc etc. Well I was working late at work this week when one of the executives (and rabid apple ******) asked me how I like the touchpad and does the lack of apps affect the experience. We've discussed the TP in passing. Well I didn't want to go into detail or comparisions with his precious. But things started rolling. First it was the bluetooth keyboard case I have which he thought it was glued to the case. I told it was for ipad 1 but fits perfectly with TP. From there things got rolling. Flash in browser, multi-tasking, card stacking, preware, synergy, built in beats audio all shown in what had to be a 30minute demo of the features. The icing, I placed a call with my TP. His response "How the hell did you do that?". I didn't have to sell him on the TP because he already heard good things about it and was planning on getting one for his 23yrd. But now he wanted one too but knew they would be hard to find.

The point of the post is out of all the times I showcased the pre it failed miserably in primetime throughout the years. Now here's the TP which I wasn't trying to show anyone and it comes thru in the clutch like Jordan.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    webOS, the OS for the rest of us.
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Look at me now...webOS.
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4
    Copy / Paste. What a horrible new system. Annoying is putting it mildly. Aside from that, would it have killed HP to at least keep the edit menu in the web browser so I could at least paste from there? If a site is using css/javascript for pop up entry fields, guess what. It's impossible to paste anything with the ridiculous and only method we have at hand. A big step backwards. As an example, I was trying to paste a torrent URL into transmission's web interface this evening. Impossible. Guess this, like the below paragraph, is yet another problem probably attributed to the half-baked enyo SDK.

Then there is the broken A2DP stuff. Not sure if this has always been an issue or not, since i updated to 3.0.4 as soon as I received my touchpad. All PDK apps and old mojo phone apps, all is well. Audio streams beautifully to my bluetooth stereo receiver. Enyo apps? NOPE! If I start up an older app while the enyo app is up, however ... the sound magically duplexes. LAME.

Third: Having to restart luna every other time I launch an app or other apps refuse to properly run. This also seems to be attributed to having watched a flash video recently. Quick timers is an example of one app that requires a restart to run. Radio hibiki (forced to use an old phone app to stream to bluetooth!) is another. It will just sit and spin when I want to go to my favorite radio station list. Restart luna... all is well again.

This crap is unacceptable, especially when it is causing these problems with apps I have paid for.

There are other serious problems that are huge regressions even from WebOS 1.4.5 (Still rockin' a Pre-), but the above are the ones that have me ready to throw this thing against the wall tonight.

Let's hope there is an update some day. Is it worth it to doctor to 3.0.2, or are these problems there as well?
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 11/14/2011 at 08:25 PM.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    cool story bro
  16.    #276  
    <another thread merged>
    The touchpad isn't special, webOS is.
    So today my 14 year old nephew got his 32gb courtesy of my sister and I, and when trying to set it up and show the nice features to him and my sister this thing just fails to impress. Updating to the latest firmware wasn't possible for some reason. Performance was overall slow. Showing the apps didn't create much interest as there isn't much to look at and the prices are insane compared to all the free or low priced Android & iOS apps. I had to explain to them why they should be careful which apps they choose because of bugs, and why a lot of the programs aren't in native format. The People and Time magazine app was time consuming and wouldn't let us log in for some reason, despite wasting time creating an account. Youtube (no dedicated app) is slow because it has to load the whole page instead of just the video like you would in android or iOS. My sister jokingly said this takes up too much time so they just started to play angry birds for the next hour lol.

Some pluses were the facebook app. Sister loves it. The game selection is quite small but my nephew was happy to get NOVA2 HD for 99 cents and of course Angry Birds. Hmm I think that's about it for now.

I really wanted my sister to get a kindle fire for 50 dollars more though because imo webOS is too humble with it's offerings and the browser is terrible and slow. Maybe I'll install a dual boot of android for them later... but overall they were happy because the original intent was just to do internet and youtube videos (pretty lame excuse to buy a tablet imo) so everything else is just extra. They were happy having their first tablet.
  19.    #279  
    Sorry to hear you weren't pleased. Yes, there is an acknowledged issue with HP's servers for updating the device's software version. If needed, you could simply download the newest Doctor and run that.

As far as apps... not sure what you are talking about as far as warning them about "apps they choose because of bugs" Wha? I've no idea what bugs you are referring to.
    Also... in the app catalog, you can choose to have the catalog only display TouchPad-only apps, so you don't have to sift through.

As for not having a YouTube app... why would you want one? This isn't a phone with a limited screen size... it's a tablet. Use the browser. LOL If you want a little faster load time, just point the browser to the mobile version of YouTube. I've never understood why people want certain apps that are basically mini-browser looks designed for phones. For YouTube, my banking site, news, etc... that have full site for access, I just use the browser and bookmark the site. Even better if you use Advanced Browser - then you have tabs and bookmark icons.

Granted, webOS doesn't have the apps that Android has simply because HP left it hanging. Now that HP has announced the new OpenSource direction for webOS... you aren't going to see anything change (as far as apps) for at lease another year or so. If you aren't happy after a while, just sell the device and get one you do enjoy.
    setup is slow because the tablet is syncing accounts to the web. Give it A few days, mine is pretty fast right now.