Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    does seem like they are merging complaint threads and putting it in a very odd place.

Starting to feel a little apple like?
    What would make more sense is having a Touchpad Issues/ Troubleshooting subforum. Why would you consolidate all of the threads into one, which makes it harder for people to search for solutions?
    <threads merged>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    This is a ridiculous place for this thread.

One would think that the "Official: TouchPad Complaint thread" would at least be under a TouchPad forum.

Almost seems like it's being hidden which will only result in more threads about complaints being posted in the TouchPad forum.
    know there are many people on here who don't want to accept that this device is heavily flawed and that's fine, don't read on... To an average Joe this OS system is nigh on impossible to live with for the following reasons:

It does not have a decent word or excel editor suite, Quickoffice is a joke, I've tried Google Docs And Dropbox but the end problem is always the same, the only way to actually edit the docs is via Quickoffice and that rejigs the document into a ridiculous layout, I put a pre-filled application form on here and it changed all the columns into a warped unreadable layout, even if you don't re-format into google docs format it only lets you read and not edit. The excel spreadsheet I tried through Dropbox would not even let me enter text in the squares.

There is no back button, I know I could learn to live with this in the long term but it's just another of many minor / major annoyances.

There is no way to install external programs such as 'personal accountz' or 'Dropbox' because the OS has to be either Windows, Mac, Linux or occasionally Android.

There is an inherent lack of options on any page (in particular the browser) making life even more irritating.

I've noticed the small crack around the speaker but I've got no chance of getting a new replacement, therefore what's the point.

The app market is abysmal

the OS is obsolete and therefore is unlikely to ever change

It doesn't let you connect other Bluetooth devices such as my Galaxy S2

I'm sure there maybe fixes for some of these issues but I get the feeling you have to jump through hoops to get them (root, partition, overclock and all that malarkey) why can't this bloody thing just work, now at a cross roads having (potentially) wasted countless hours trying to suss this thing out, so may well have to sell up and go and get a galaxy tab or something.
    To an average Joe this OS system is nigh on impossible to live with
    No such thing as an average Joe. We all have different requirements and this device is very useful to me, and clearly not very useful to you.

I get the impression that it hasn't lived up to your expectations, but I can't help wondering who told you to expect otherwise.
    <threads merged>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
    No such thing as an average Joe. We all have different requirements and this device is very useful to me, and clearly not very useful to you.

I get the impression that it hasn't lived up to your expectations, but I can't help wondering who told you to expect otherwise.
    What was I thinking, being able to read/edit basic documents! Anyone know how to add a music file to a playlist? I can make a new playlist but can't add tracks to it! Incidently, the fact that you've had to make a thread and divert complaints to one place speaks volumes as to how many people are disappointed with it, this allows others to put there hands over there ears saying lalala theres no problem here!
    So, I got my Touchpads this week and cannot beleive how slow they are, even after running the patches to "speed things up". Could it be this last batch is different? Was I expecting to much? I really want to be happy with this device but its hard when you have to wait 5 seconds for the calendar to open, really!

What are others experiencing?
    Thanks
    1. there are lots and lots of posts about speed on this forum
    2. if logging is turned off or to error it isn't that slow, except for the browser's JavaScript Rendering.
    3. if speed is your biggest issues leave apps open in cards and you don't have to wait for them to load at all
    4. 3.0.4 OTA is said to be days away and helps with performance a bit.
    5. No, it most likely will not be at the speed of the iPad 2 or some Android tablets any time soon, but as pointed out in #3 there is a workaround for speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by felices View Post
    So, I got my Touchpads this week and cannot beleive how slow they are, even after running the patches to "speed things up". Could it be this last batch is different? Was I expecting to much? I really want to be happy with this device but its hard when you have to wait 5 seconds for the calendar to open, really!

Thanks
    The calendar is implemented poorly imo.

Don't let it take 5 seconds to start each time. Start it once and card it
    Mine is not as fast loading apps as the ipad but not horribly slow that's an exageration. The browser sometimes hangs that's the truth. All of these posts about speed issues makes me wonder I have the only reliable touchpad. I love webOS!
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felices View Post

Thanks
    Yes it is terrible! You should sell it to someone here in the marketplace at cost and delete your account, buy an iPad and join MacRumors.
    TheIowaKid likes this.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Try a dual-boot with Android and see if you like that.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    I think expectations do have a lot to do with it. Not sure why some expectations run so high for a essentially a vendor abandoned clearance item. I set my expectations very low then look for ways to remediate the biggest pain points. I was not counting on android for example but it's looking pretty viable so that's all gravy for me.

A good example of the sort of issues I've had - My daughter wanted to do her online homework on the touchpad but at first essentially could not do so. After some browser and acrobat patches, she can do most of what is needed but for example some word files don't look right due to the very basic quick office support, luckily most of files in play are PDFs. So started off unworkable, improved to mostly useable. We're hoping for further improvements but not counting on it.

The touchpad is clearly for "active" users. Without users improving the browser & acrobat and me going out to find how to implement, I would not have the improvements I have. HP has washed their hands of the touchpad and I'd expect many software vendors to follow suit. HP isn't going to hand it to us although they do seem committed to updating WebOS at least for now which is good news and more gravy in my book.
    DizWhiz likes this.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I think expectations do have a lot to do with it. Not sure why some expectations run so high for a essentially a vendor abandoned clearance item. I set my expectations very low then look for ways to remediate the biggest pain points. I was not counting on android for example but it's looking pretty viable so that's all gravy
    EXACTLY! It's a failed product sold at bargain basement pricing. My expectations of the TP were that 1. It would turn on and 2. I can browse the web with it. So far it's exceeded my lofty expectations.

I will say this: It's great but it is NO iPad 2. My wife's tablet is ridiculously fast with zero lag. But that comes with a $499 price-tag. I'm happy with my cheap TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    EXACTLY! It's a failed product sold at bargain basement pricing. My expectations of the TP were that 1. It would turn on and 2. I can browse the web with it. So far it's exceeded my lofty expectations.
    That's about where I set mine, Well and some games. Games aren't that important to me but it's fun, for example, to play glow hockey with my daughter and I'm sure we'll find some other good games.
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWhiz View Post
    I will say this: It's great but it is NO iPad 2. My wife's tablet is ridiculously fast with zero lag. But that comes with a $499 price-tag. I'm happy with my cheap TP.
    I've never touched an iPad 2. We do have an iPad 1, or my wife does, I think of it as hers and I never touch it unless she needs tech support. Everything I've heard is the iPad 2 does perform better. I think Apple has understood that you need both the best hardware you can get but also efficient software. HP on the other hand has a browser lacking features with inefficient java and things like that stupid ripple effect. On the positive side software can be fixed but will be more of a challenge as the vendor has cut and run. Having said all that I'm also happy with my cheap TP.

The TP appeals to both my cheap gene and that it's more open that the iPad. I could quickly get in there and poke around without "breaking anything out of jail". Reminds me of the Linux open source routers I've enjoyed for years, where users have developed 3rd party firmware with many extra features above & beyond the original vendor firmware.
    I did read the rules, and I haven't seen anything against it. I've noticed that whenever anyone says anything that isn't positive, they are advised to mayhaps move to another platform or sell the TP to someone who will appreciate it (which I read is against the rules, ha!).

Here's the thing, I like some things about my TP (see, I'm not totally bitter) but some things I do not! Like the lack of apps. Yes, I know that I can encourage app makers by buying apps (I have, and for the most part I wish I hadn't as I have not been terribly impressed... and it's not like I have high standards it's just that I have a reasonable standard). I have left reviews. I have also written app makers (no bites!), and wished upon a star or two. I have even complained to my kids (they don't care).

I cannot create an app myself, so that's not an idea. Hmmm, after typing it up it does sound pretty whiney since there's really nothing else I can do except take the oft given advice of shutting up or moving on. Curses! Why must I be wrong?!

Anywho, in case you're wondering I am sad because of the lack of book apps. I have ScummVM and a few of the Living Books. I wish there were more ereader apps. I wish there were more interactive books for kids. That's all and thanks for listening. Schwew! I feel better already...
    Yes, lack of apps is disappointing but as for me, I have all the games *ahem* apps I needed. Maybe you should try the Android dual-boot.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    the lack of apps should be of no surprise to anyone, the touchpad was drowned at birth by HP when the device wasnt even out a full month and a bit, the pre3 was out 1 day, thats obviously not enough time to develop anything of use.

chicken/egg situation unfortunatly, we need more eggs, theres just not enough chickens due to a lack of eggs.

does that make webOS "bad" ? id say no, the OS is easy to use, apps run the same on any platform, droid/webOS/ios/whatever, so as far as i care, ill take the better to use/more comfortable OS, and worry about apps later.