Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    Sell nearly a million units in a couple of weeks and your service centre is bound to get hit hard, it will settle down eventually (not that that helps if you're waiting impatiently to get your TP back...)
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    No issues with my TP. Knock on wood.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    We have had new units for sale and have pushed those through their channels, however the repair facility is not one of those channels that receives new units.
    I'm told that my advanced exchange is delayed because there are none in stock. So, where does the seed stock for the AE Program come from if new units are not provided to the repair center?

Quote Originally Posted by Steep View Post
    Sell nearly a million units in a couple of weeks and your service centre is bound to get hit hard.
    This; but not unless they are largely defective straight out of the box. A flood of warranty repairs within the first 90 days of production reveals more about the product than it does repair center capacity.
    Last edited by sanjuro; 10/06/2011 at 04:59 PM.
    I feel for my webos bretheren who are lacking the use of their $100 toys. Have to say that my two 32 giggers have been a joy. No problems here. Good luck to those of you who bought a Mcdouble and expected Filet Mignon.
    Wow, all this talk about cracks near the speakers got me wondering....so I open up the case, tilt it towards the light, and BAM - a ******* crack. Who knows how long it has been there.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    That has nothing to do with the repair facility.
    additionally UPS used to and may still handle some portion of HP PC repairs so it may not even be an HP employee. Like they give you a ups shipping label and it goes not to HP but to a UPS run computer repair facility then UPS sends it back to you. don't know if that's the situation but it happens in the computer industry. but maybe there's a problem getting all the parts to these people.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro View Post
    A flood of warranty repairs within the first 90 days of production reveals more about the product than it does repair center capacity.
    If 0.5% of that million have problems, that's still 5,000 Touchpads sitting and waiting to be repaired.

I don't know what sort of repair facility they're running to blow through five thousand repairs (diagnose, get parts, perform actual repair or get a refurb to replace it, etc). And the vast, vast majority of HTPs were sold in the past 30-45 days, not the past 90.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    And the vast, vast majority of HTPs were sold in the past 30-45 days, not the past 90.
    Agreed. The point that I managed to overlook is that no in-store exchanges were possible after the fire sale. So the only avenue of redress was repair. I still don't understand where advanced exchanges come from though... anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    If 0.5% of that million have problems, that's still 5,000 Touchpads sitting and waiting to be repaired.

I don't know what sort of repair facility they're running to blow through five thousand repairs (diagnose, get parts, perform actual repair or get a refurb to replace it, etc). And the vast, vast majority of HTPs were sold in the past 30-45 days, not the past 90.
    I think we can safely assume that they are not getting a normal influx of repairs. Unless yet again HP has completely dropped the ball with the TouchPad.

Why?

HP knew they were going to put the TouchPad on sale. HP has had plenty of time to adjust to the numbers of TouchPads that were sold during the fire sale.

Furthermore, it's unlikely people are returning their TouchPads because they can't get a new one, thus people would most likely hang onto them, send them in, or wait for repair. I would have returned mine to Office Depot for a new one because it was broken within two weeks from purchase but that wasn't an option. The point here is, there isn't an increasing number of TouchPads.

We can try and snow over this all we want but it seems that the TouchPad has some issues and it's being reflected in lengthy repairs--remember I'm talking about a replacement (not turnaround) which should be very quick.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I received this email (below) after my "webOS Butler" call to request an advanced exchange repair for my "Crack". This was back on Sept 26th. After the hit to my bank account and not receiving the exchange unit within the 3-5 business days I was told, I called again last night. The nice lady said that I was being put on the "top list" LOL, I about fell out of my chair. "Top list", must be a new term for blowing smoke up one's *****.

Anyway, I'll just watch my crack and see if the "top list" has any merit. Should I just keep both units and eat the $365? Would that be a good deal? NOT!

-------------------------------
    Order Type: SRO Advance Exchange
    SRO Number: S1-5xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Order Service fee: $59.00 USD
    Out of Warranty Order Repair charge: $0.00 USD
    Adjustment Applied: $59.00 USD
    Tax: $0.00 USD
    Order Deposit amount: $365.00 USD*

Dear Todd,

This letter is confirmation of your recent Service Repair Order request.

In the next few days you will receive a replacement HP device. Included with the replacement device is a waybill and instructions to return your non-working device back to us within 15 days.

A few reminders before you return your original device:
    o Transfer personal files from your device to your computer.
    o Remove your SIM card (if applicable).
    o Remove all accessories such as the USB cable, power adapter, case, etc.
    o Erase personal data from your original device.
    Charges are applicable for all unreturned devices 15 days after shipment of an Advance Exchange SRO. Prompt return of your original device will ensure no additional charges are incurred.

As indicated above, your credit/debit card will be charged the Advance Exchange Order Service fee and any applicable Out of Warranty Order Repair charges plus tax and any other adjustments upon shipment of the replacement device to you.

The Order Deposit amount is a hold of funds placed on your credit/debit card to ensure they are available in the event the non-working device is not returned to us in the agreed to timeframe of 15 days from date of receipt of the replacement device. If you do not return the non-working device to HP within 15 days, then HP reserves the right to charge your credit/debit card for the full retail amount for the device.

*Please note, this deposit amount is not charged to your card, but only reserved until we receive your non-working device. The period of time the amount is reserved depends on the policies of your financial institution, and can only be released by your financial institution.

If you have any questions or concerns, please visit us at www.palm.com/support.

Thank you,
    HP webOS Support Team
    Agreed. The point that I managed to overlook is that no in-store exchanges were possible after the fire sale. So the only avenue of redress was repair. I still don't understand where advanced exchanges come from though... anyone?
    Most likely from back stock and repairs.
    No doubt they had some returns before the fire sale and those were refurbished thus you have some extra that are available for quick exchange.

It seems that they no longer have any that are fixed and ready for the quick exchange thus, we are waiting for them to fix more which defeats the purpose of quick exchange lol

And this seems to be compounded by some of us getting them back from repair in worse condition than they were sent in.

In other words, the situation seems as though the problem is being compounded in many ways from design to repair = HP really dropped the ball with the TouchPad imo.
    I'm told that my advanced exchange is delayed because there are none in stock. So, where does the seed stock for the AE Program come from if new units are not provided to the repair center?

This; but not unless they are largely defective straight out of the box. A flood of warranty repairs within the first 90 days of production reveals more about the product than it does repair center capacity.
    I've been waiting for almost a month for my advanced exchange replacement. 2 web chats and 6 phone calls later, I keep getting the stock answer of we'll try our best. I really hope they hurry along with this.

BTW, the hot/fire/priority/concern/top list (all of which I've been told I'm on in desperate occasions) is just a nice way of them telling you to shut up and wait. I was told I'd have one in "a couple of days" 3 weeks ago. Don't get your hopes up.
    Last edited by Infinite Jest; 10/06/2011 at 09:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    i did a 'repair' where the guys just slapped on a screen protector and didn't do anything else. So HP actually called me and told me they were aware of this. I don't know how, but they did. Anyway, they waived my advance exchange fee and then cut the hold on my credit card by 50%. pretty nice.

they said they were backed up and were short on stock so I'd have to wait maybe 10 days for a new unit. not bad i guess.
    26% of precentral touchpad owners reported cracks. If headquarters would have only given out ten of these to 'tester's or whatever, they still would have noticed the cracks on a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    26% of precentral touchpad owners reported cracks. If headquarters would have only given out ten of these to 'tester's or whatever, they still would have noticed the cracks on a few.
    Well that's only 26% of those that responded have cracks.... and generally the only ones interested in responding are those with cracks.

There were only a handful of respondents as well.. I'm pretty sure there are more then 40 touchpad owners here at precentral.

--Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by woosh View Post
    I wouldn't put a lot of faith in those numbers. While interesting, it's far from scientific. It's based, of course, only on those who actually vote and almost certainly biased towards those experiencing the problem since they case about the issue much more.

I'm guessing you're referring to "Firesale Owners! Do You Have Cracks in Your TouchPad Already?" which is actually even worse than 26% when you look at it since 19 of the no-crack votes don't own touchpads making it actually 40% of 243 votes (actually owning touchpads).

However if you look at another poll, "who doesn't have a crack yet." with a larger sample size of 417 votes, only just over 14% report cracks.

With such inconsistencies it's hard to put a lot of stock in these poll results. Interesting, and show a number of folks with the issue, but don't think that you really can trust the percentages. There does seem to be a trend towards a lower % of cracked cases with more votes, which I would expect, but not sure there is enough data to support even that.
    I agree that there are a lot of Touchpads with problems.

However, I would like to point out that Apple iPads also had problems with screens.
    When I bought my iPad 2 64GB 3GB a few months ago, I ended up exchanging it
    6 times, before getting a screen without any flaws. (see Macrumors forum)

Actually, it was 2 exchanges and 4 re-buys. The Apple Store only allowed me to
    exchange the iPad 2 twice. After that, they just gave me a full refund. I bought
    another one 2 minutes later. Same issue as soon as the box was opened in the
    store. They did a return/refund again. I bought one more again.... and then again.
    Finally, I got one that was 90% perfect, so I kept it. (not sure why Apple Store
    has a 2-exchanges-only policy, which seemed silly, because they just asked me
    to return and re-buy over and over again... didn't make my credit card company
    happy, because they saw 4 identical $799+tax charges at the same merchant
    all within 6 minutws)
  18.    #238  
    <threads merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    I I would like to point out that Apple iPads also had problems with screens. When I bought my iPad 2 64GB 3GB a few months ago, I ended up exchanging it 6 times, before getting a screen without any flaws.
    Apple sold 2.5 million iPad 2 in the first month of release. No doubt there were issues there too; but I can't ever imagine Apple having zero devices in the pipeline for repair or exchange.
    Shouldn't this stickie be placed on a TouchPad specific thread instead of the HP and Palm General Discussion sub-forum?