Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
    My only complaint is that I'm unable to find one for purchase to complain about.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    I think that the camera and video quality using skype is just horrible! And yes the camera is aimed to high
    the video quality must be a compression issue as some already stated
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I video skyped with my sister for 2 hours straight last night and I had no video issues whatsoever. She said that the video is actually amazing.

Honestly, I was expecting to have a bad experience and I was happy it did not.

Then after we spoke, I was curious and tried to call my PC so I can see how really good it was.

I was actually way way way better than my wife's ipad 2 (in terms of video skype).

Then I again, I have a 45/35mbps (up/down) and a kickass router.

2 hours straight FTW!
    I had a Pre since launch and more recently had a touchpad for a short while. There is a lot WebOS can do and have traveled through every update and feature along the way.. But there is one thing that hasn't changed much for me: Performance

Sure I can overclock.. I did that with both my tablet and phone at one point.
    But I shouldn't have too and even so it still performs behind most other phone OS.

I remember seeing Palm confess mojo will never be able to catch up and that enyo was going to fix everything. So far though it hasn't. (I am aware of the 1st update taking the touchpad out of "beta")

Meanwhile WindowsPhone is flying on 1Ghz, the 1 1/2 old iphone is speedy as ever, and android even without too much hardware acceleration is keeping up.

I understand WebOS has to compile the code each time unlike other os's but I don't want to get to technical why it lacks by design. I just want to know if it ever can improve?

Does it make since for someone(facebook, htc, qualcomm) to buy or license this OS that hasn't really improved it's performance since birth?

Maybe, in time, as chips improve the difference of seconds becomes milliseconds?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    This is a rant, so if you are in love with your TouchPad (probably because you've never actually used another tablet...) then you may want to skip over this.

This thing, is just super buggy...from the first day I got this, I've had to "put up" with crazy little quirks. Here is a short list:

1. The touch screen is super unresponsive compared to what I'm used to, the iPad. I can't tell sometimes if it's just the slow speed of the system or that it's just hardware. I doubt it's the hardware...

2. The browser is terrible. Aside from the occasional page that crashes (thanks Flash, *** were they thinking?!) the darn thing is slow. This whole card thing would be fine if the tablet wasn't slower than molasses. Tap the new window button, wait, new window swooshes in, wait, wait wait....

3. Don't get me started about the garbage known as WebOS Doctor. What a POS. First of all, I know they love Java, but wow...so slow. It's not only slow but ugly. Aside from being nasty to look at, it gives errors on both windows and my Mac. Then the solution from here and from HP is...."ah, just ignore the errors..." but wait, it doesn't always work.... "oh, yo have to restart the service, or on the mac you have to go into terminal and kill the service and restart it.." WHAT ***** LET THIS OUT THE DOOR AT HP? Wow!

4. Butler support. Really?! The several times I've had to call these clowns, I can't find a single one that speaks english. Beyond that minor detail, it's been one thing after another. When I finally got them to say once the TouchPad was just FUBAR, and send it in...they wanted me to pay for sending it in. You've gotta be kidding me. After another 30 minutes of going back and forth, Mr. NoEnglish #4 finally decided they'd send me a box. Wow.

Really, The ONLY thing smart HP has done with WebOS is kill it. Good riddance. I have a TouchPad now in front of me that has a totally nonworking touch screen after I reset the device. And the WebOS Doctor? Yeah...that POS can't fix it either. I've tried a dozen times.
    mistermojorizin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalserenity View Post
    This is a rant, so if you are in love with your TouchPad (probably because you've never actually used another tablet...) then you may want to skip over this.

This thing, is just super buggy...from the first day I got this, I've had to "put up" with crazy little quirks. Here is a short list:
    I will admit I don't own any other tablet devices but I have used and have experience with IOS and android devices so I will touch on a few points here

not sure if you remember the first iphone was actually missing several features that competitors already had in (app store for one, 3g for another) and the Fw was actually not that great (I mean not having the ability to Copy and Paste? Really?) not to mention a few device crashes here and there, remember this is a first gen tablet..

3. Don't get me started about the garbage known as WebOS Doctor. What a POS. First of all, I know they love Java, but wow...so slow. It's not only slow but ugly. Aside from being nasty to look at, it gives errors on both windows and my Mac. Then the solution from here and from HP is...."ah, just ignore the errors..." but wait, it doesn't always work.... "oh, yo have to restart the service, or on the mac you have to go into terminal and kill the service and restart it.." WHAT ***** LET THIS OUT THE DOOR AT HP? Wow!
    you do know the reason they use java is because its multi platform and easy to code, not to mention this is one of the big 3 backends that are used to support giant websites...
    and for java being terrible, blame apple for that, they are the ones that are not only not keeping up with security updates but also leaving it outdated...

EDIT: not to mention that it works beautifully on windows and linux on the machines that I have had the ability to use...
    although I hate the fact that you can't use novacomm on powerpc, which is the only pc that I have at the moment so if my TP goes belly up, might have to wait a few days to get access to pc with admin privs.... (which is even worse since I have a not so working /var partition meaning indexing is nowhere, can't use stock apps because they rely on the media index so much..)

4. Butler support. Really?! The several times I've had to call these clowns, I can't find a single one that speaks english. Beyond that minor detail, it's been one thing after another. When I finally got them to say once the TouchPad was just FUBAR, and send it in...they wanted me to pay for sending it in. You've gotta be kidding me. After another 30 minutes of going back and forth, Mr. NoEnglish #4 finally decided they'd send me a box. Wow.
    yep that how most pc and in general most companies do business now, it simple economics
    Really, The ONLY thing smart HP has done with WebOS is kill it. Good riddance. I have a TouchPad now in front of me that has a totally nonworking touch screen after I reset the device. And the WebOS Doctor? Yeah...that POS can't fix it either. I've tried a dozen times.
    funny enough as much I hate the idea of using JavaScript for a "app" apart from that I love the openness that no other company has given to its software, from the ability to download basically their kernel (I know android does that too) but leaving in the ability to root the device and being able to use anyway you want to use is IMO best thing palm has done to the touchpad...

then again I'm sure you are the type of person wants something that just works, regardless if its closed and does not let you see the innards, I for one learned to appreciate Webos and what It is, an actual linux tablet...

and of course if you really "hate it" then I'm sure many people (myself included) would happily take it off your hands for a good price...
    Last edited by darkassain; 09/24/2011 at 01:20 AM.
    (hidd) user.emerg: AddNewFinger: WARNING!!!!!!!: 99 FINGERS ADDED in 1 secs
    hmm...my TP, and my buddies' TPs, are working without a hitch. I suspect that the problem lies with the user, and with neither the hardware nor the OS.

This is a rant, and I've used other tablets so, OP, you may want to skip over this. That's referred to as condescension.

FWIW, the doctor works fine on a USB 2.0(+) port connected to a TP or any Palm device. You may need to update your mac...I would know, as I've been through 3 of them.

Best of luck, in a non-sincere way...and please don't turn this thread into another I come here for help and all I get is replies like "this"....'cause remember, it's a "rant."
    No idea what you are talking about...

1) both my Touchpad's are very responsive and I use them daily, on par with the two ipads, Xoom and Playbook I have. None of them lag (assuming you installed 3.02 on it). And there are several tips and patches that can make it fly like no other.

2) browser works great, and my Touchpad's do not crash. Some site don't always load, but you can find that true of all of the tablet devices out there, especially the flashless ipad. I for one and extremely glad that my Touchpads, Xoom and Playbook give me the option of using flash.

3)webOS doctor works great. The only time I ever had problems was on a new machine and the installed java was not correct. So check your java installation. If you are using a 64bit OS, you may need to do some tweaking to get java working correctly, especially if you want to do any dev stuff.

4) personally have never needed their assistance, but this is a discontinued item (unfortunately) and HP is definitely lost its way at the moment. Surprised the butler service is even up and running. The one time I had to use them (for my pre2) they were very helpful, and ended up sending me a new unit (3g modem failed)

Again, if you are so dissatisfied, you will have no problem finding someone to take it off your hands. I personally know several who want them.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
    and for java being terrible, blame apple for that, they are the ones that are not only not keeping up with security updates but also leaving it outdated...
    1. The Java on OS X isn't outdated by any means. Obviously you don't know much about the OS X environment.

2. You should re-read what I wrote, as I expressed how there are issues in both Windows and Mac OS X. I have both, not my first rodeo. As for updating my Mac, it's less than a year old, I'm fairly certain it has USB 2.0 , but of course, Anti-Mac people really like to point out just how backwards Apples are....Right, that's a company that doesn't innovate.

Java is just insanely slow. It's slow on WebOS, it's slow on Android, it's slow on Windows, Macs, everywhere.
    1. The Java on OS X isn't outdated by any means. Obviously you don't know much about the OS X environment.

2. You should re-read what I wrote, as I expressed how there are issues in both Windows and Mac OS X. I have both, not my first rodeo. As for updating my Mac, it's less than a year old, I'm fairly certain it has USB 2.0 , but of course, Anti-Mac people really like to point out just how backwards Apples are....Right, that's a company that doesn't innovate.

Java is just insanely slow. It's slow on WebOS, it's slow on Android, it's slow on Windows, Macs, everywhere.
    you do know that java is at 1.7 and mac is still on 1.6 right? Not to mention 1.6 has some sec vulnerabilities also?

not saying the mac os is terrible in any sense, but how apple maintains it (not to mention other software especially OSS) is my main gripe
    and again its quick enough for what it does, (I myself have developed in java both on win and linux, although nothing fancy really just some terminal stuff and some simple GUI stuff)
    (hidd) user.emerg: AddNewFinger: WARNING!!!!!!!: 99 FINGERS ADDED in 1 secs

1. The touch screen is super unresponsive compared to what I'm used to, the iPad. I can't tell sometimes if it's just the slow speed of the system or that it's just hardware. I doubt it's the hardware...
    Did you install the patches from Preware to make the touch more sensitive?

2. The browser is terrible. Aside from the occasional page that crashes (thanks Flash, *** were they thinking?!) the darn thing is slow. This whole card thing would be fine if the tablet wasn't slower than molasses. Tap the new window button, wait, new window swooshes in, wait, wait wait....
    Did you try Advanced Browser (or any other browser) or just the default one? Also regarding speed issues, did you overclock it and install the patches from Preware? Both will insanely increase the speed of your TP.

PEBKAC, I'm sure.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    So sell it for profit online, delete your precentral account, buy an iPad and join Macrumors.

reeneebob and LCGuy like this.
    It may have its faults, but I've never had so much fun with a $99 piece of hardware.
    Call me easily amused.
    To the OP;

Seriously... this amount of negative energy you are putting forth over a device you obviously can't stand is just like "throwing good money after bad"...

You wanted to "rant".. ok, you did it. We get it... you've had your tantrum, so, enough already, ok?

Now, what would you like to do, or, more importantly, how can the very patient and kind, selfless and extremely knowledgable people here at PreCentral help you?

We have more than enough very experienced people here who might want to help you see if its a defective device, or, if what you are experiencing is correctable, one way or another, but, I can promise you this: no one will help you if all you want to do is praise other products, and then endlessly criticize and complain - your attitude has to change to a much more positive/proactive one if you want help from those here, because, trust me, we all have much better things to do than to read post from you whining and throwing virtual literary tantrums because the new "toy" you just bought isnt working the way you think its supposed to, and you are getting more joy out of expressing that then trying to make it better.

Seriously.

Really.

Last edited by LCGuy; 09/24/2011 at 08:12 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    It may have its faults, but I've never had so much fun with a $99 piece of hardware.
    Call me easily amused.
    I was really struggling with whether or not I'd keep it if I didn't get the price reduced to match the firesale prices. Ultimately, I decided I loved it too much to send it back.

Fortunately, got word that QVC would price adjust. To me, it was worth the $599 it originally went for and is that much better at lower prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdamrican View Post
    No idea what you are talking about...

1) both my Touchpad's are very responsive and I use them daily, on par with the two ipads, Xoom and Playbook I have. None of them lag (assuming you installed 3.02 on it). And there are several tips and patches that can make it fly like no other.
    I can second, third, and fourth this statement. 3 TouchPads amongst my family, and no responsiveness issues. My mother actually started talking about how sensitive/responsive it was, which I took as a complaint at first until she said she loved it. Went on to call the TouchPad an amazing device (FWIW, she's used my sisters iPad2 and Xoom as well).

2) browser works great, and my Touchpad's do not crash. Some site don't always load, but you can find that true of all of the tablet devices out there, especially the flashless ipad. I for one and extremely glad that my Touchpads, Xoom and Playbook give me the option of using flash.
    Same here, except I've never had a webpage not load. I have switched tabs to come back to a blank screen, but tapping on the tab shows the page almost instantly. Browser performance is on par with Firefox on my desktop and lightyears ahead of Internet Exploder.

One thing I think affecting a lot of people may be their wireless setup. I recently noticed that my webOS devices were connected at low speeds for some reason. I found some wifi tuning tips online and voila - browser performance improved dramatically. I suggest checking the router's status area to see what your devices are actually connected at - could be much slower than you're assuming it is connected at.

3)webOS doctor works great. The only time I ever had problems was on a new machine and the installed java was not correct. So check your java installation. If you are using a 64bit OS, you may need to do some tweaking to get java working correctly, especially if you want to do any dev stuff.
    I've never had to doctor a TouchPad, so can't comment there. I have used meta-doctors to put 2.1 on my Pre-, and to frankenpre my Pre2 to Sprint. Both times they worked flawlessly and quickly.

4) personally have never needed their assistance, but this is a discontinued item (unfortunately) and HP is definitely lost its way at the moment. Surprised the butler service is even up and running. The one time I had to use them (for my pre2) they were very helpful, and ended up sending me a new unit (3g modem failed)

Again, if you are so dissatisfied, you will have no problem finding someone to take it off your hands. I personally know several who want them.
    Like you, I've never had to use the Butler or tech support of any kind. Your advice to the OP is right on - get rid of it if it's so terrible. I hate that he's having a bad experience, but to pretend that his experience is common is absurd.
    no one will argue the touchpad has room for improvement. But I had to chime in on your rant about the webos doctor.

If I recall, apple holds the record for buggiest, crappiest, REQUIRED pc utility called iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
    no one will argue the touchpad has room for improvement. But I had to chime in on your rant about the webos doctor.

If I recall, apple holds the record for buggiest, crappiest, REQUIRED pc utility called iTunes.
    Oddly enough, I've been trying to buy some songs from the iTunes store since last night, and get error messages.
  19. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Yes it is buggy, unfinished and only gives you 'a lot' of the web, but one can't understate how fun the TP is to use when it works (i.e. for the things that it does do well). Unfortunately the TP's shortcomings, for my purposes, *are* a big deal. For many users, though, they won't be. There are some for whom it's an absolutely fantastic device, and they are the ones praising the TP to no end on this forum and elsewhere.

I see a few groups of TP supporters: (1) The low-maintenance -- email, e-books, basic web browsing, calendar-using, maybe facebook or twitter-using; (2) staunch supporters of WebOS; (3) people who just like tech and like to tinker with tech toys.

I bought two TPs, each with all of the accessories. The one was for me, and the second was for my dad, who couldn't be happier with it. He fits into the 'low-maintenance' group; email, kindle, the news, weather and a couple of websites and he's a happy camper. With mine I installed preware, a bunch of patches, ubuntu, etc. That was fun, but I was perplexed that there were so many basic functions/features that (a) just weren't present on the TP and might never be available, (b) had patches available to enable them on the TP, or (c) are currently being worked on (i.e. patches being made). It's astonishing the number of threads/posts asking "if it's possible to do x on the TP" or "if anyone has a patch that will enable it to do y." I've even seen a number of posts along the lines of "yeah that's a bit of a pain but I'm sure someone will develop a patch for it..." and "I'm just waiting for a patch for..."

Android Honeycomb on my Transformer isn't as pretty as WebOS, and the form factor, display and build quality of the Transformer aren't as good as the TP, but it works a whole lot better for what I do (document editing, accessing work-related websites (including downloading documents), and music and video streaming...not to mention the number of children's apps that are available). Actually, it works a whole lot better for *everything* that I've done with the two devices. That said, though, everything *looks* a lot better on the TP, though, and it's more fluid in its operation. If you take as much time setting up an Android Tablet as people on this site do setting up their TPs, you can get it to work *very* nicely, and that's without rooting or installing anything that isn't already available in the Android Market.

I gave the TP a good month to try and replace my Transformer because it's that fun to use. The form factor, display and accessories are excellent, as are the ergos of WebOS (swiping, cards, its implementation of multitasking, etc). It's fun for what it can do, but its present limits were too easily-reached. My daughter and I 'fight' over the Transformer. Nobody fights over the TP or my wife's iPad (or my iPad2 when I had it).

For the price, with the TouchPad you get good hardware, a beautiful display, a nice user experience in WebOS, but arguably the most unfinished tablet OS presently available. For the Transformer's price you get hardware that's 'adequate,' lots of expandability (SD card slots, video out, keyboard docking, usb ports) and a very flexible and more functional OS.

Over the last several days the Transformer has become my sole tablet, again. Now I'm just waiting for Cyanogenmod for the TP. If it works as it appears to in the vids then my daughter and I will probably be 'fighting' over the TP
    Last edited by zc1; 09/24/2011 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Now, what would you like to do, or, more importantly, how can the very patient and kind, selfless and extremely knowledgable people here at PreCentral help you?
    I've asked...multiple times, not to mention searched the heck out of the forums. The whole reason I believe I'm in this mess is because the darn thing was slow so I followed the advice here, installed Preware, Uberkernel, Govnah, and raised the speed. That and a hundred patches later, it was a bit better of a device. If I could have uninstalled Flash, we'd be doing even better. All that being said, a simple reset and now my touchscreen doesn't work. Unfortunately, no one here has any advice other than "rah rah I love WebOS it kicks the crap out of devices half a decade old."

Honestly, I'd be very appreciative if someone here could help me with it. If someone wants to really buy it for $250 in it's current state, I'll throw in the HP Folio case and sell it to them

Hence why I said it was a rant, in other words "don't take this too seriously, I'm just irritated...need help."
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast