Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By GuyFromNam
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 2 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    <<deleted>>
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 05/02/2012 at 01:20 AM.
    i_maq, spud101 and khe05 like this.
  2. #2  
    Yep - we pay more for our devices, but we pay more for everything.. so I dont have any beef with that.

    I have to agree with you on the apps and rebate, but it is early days I and I am willing to give HP (and external devs) some time to build out the app catalogue.
  3. #3  
    I'm hoping HP extends to 50 app credit to all HP Touchpad owners everywhere but not entirely hopeful.

    But I have to agree even in Canada we holes in the catalog and I never got the email for the early adopter mir. We have no kindle which is the biggest missing app for all I think. The fact that I still don't have pivot for august is also extremely disappointing. I hope this is just all teething for HP and we all will be brought onto the same page softwarewise

    the movie store I can understand and while disappointing I don't care overly much that I don't have it

    -- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
  4. #4  
    If you want Kindle, install Impostah through Preware. Then click on App Catalog, then on the line that says Enter geo.restricted/app id ... type com.palm.app.kindle then select Get Application Info then select Install Application

    Kindle....on your TouchPad....magic.

    Don't forget to tip your friends over in webOSInternals here:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...s:Site_support
  5. #5  
    Yeah, it's strange to blame HP for the pricing, apps I get. But you need to blame your respective nations policies for prices, not HP.

    I dabble in photography, and if you think the prices are big on this stuff, look at the difference in prices for pro photo gear in the US versus Europe, the price differences are staggering, but it comes down to not just things like VAT, but also consumer protection laws that force companies to have more generous return policies in a lot of Euro zone countries. A photog in, I think it was Italy, maybe Spain, was describing some of the regulations over there, and they are pretty tough. The problem with those types of policies is what you described, in a free market, the cost is passed on to the consumer (at least with goods that are price inelastic, but that's another story for another day).
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  6. #6  
    As if this was just HP. Most all commodities and electronics command a higher nominal price in the EU than they do in the US, even if they had the same nominal prices (i.e. $500 and €500 respectively), the Euro is worth more than the Dollar and we end up paying more.

    A very sad state of affairs indeed, but you see this across the board. I'm afraid that nothing short of a concerted and prolongued boycott of all wares priced in such a way, regardless of and including every product type and manufacturer, is ever going to change this, though.
    In other words it'll change when hell freezes over, republicans raise revenues to pay their debts, you look up at pigs flying overhead. The world is unfair, and treats people unfairly.

    The zombie apocalypse will come before the day people are fairly treated. Then again, paying more for high-end electronics than Americans is an exquisit way to be unfairly treated. It sucks, yes, but when you think about it, things could suck so much harder.

    Meanwhile, if HP isn't willing to extend the discounts they're lavishing upon our American friends to me, I'm not willing to extend my wallet to them the way our American friends do
    Hobbz likes this.
  7. i_maq's Avatar
    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #7  
    Fair global pricing and availability is where HP can succeed where Palm failed, they need to realise it soon.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If you want Kindle, install Impostah through Preware. Then click on App Catalog, then on the line that says Enter geo.restricted/app id ... type com.palm.app.kindle then select Get Application Info then select Install Application

    Kindle....on your TouchPad....magic.

    Don't forget to tip your friends over in webOSInternals here:
    WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals
    This does not work anymore....
    Devices

    -WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    As if this was just HP. Most all commodities and electronics command a higher nominal price in the EU than they do in the US, even if they had the same nominal prices (i.e. $500 and €500 respectively), the Euro is worth more than the Dollar and we end up paying more.

    A very sad state of affairs indeed, but you see this across the board. I'm afraid that nothing short of a concerted and prolongued boycott of all wares priced in such a way, regardless of and including every product type and manufacturer, is ever going to change this, though.
    In other words it'll change when hell freezes over, republicans raise revenues to pay their debts, you look up at pigs flying overhead. The world is unfair, and treats people unfairly.

    The zombie apocalypse will come before the day people are fairly treated. Then again, paying more for high-end electronics than Americans is an exquisit way to be unfairly treated. It sucks, yes, but when you think about it, things could suck so much harder.

    Meanwhile, if HP isn't willing to extend the discounts they're lavishing upon our American friends to me, I'm not willing to extend my wallet to them the way our American friends do
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Fair global pricing and availability is where HP can succeed where Palm failed, they need to realise it soon.
    Again, you are blaming HP and/or other companies for something that is the fault of regulation and taxation. If you feel you are "unfairly" treated, petition your elected officials.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Again, you are blaming HP and/or other companies for something that is the fault of regulation and taxation. If you feel you are "unfairly" treated, petition your elected officials.
    Ummmm. What regulations are you talking about? The EU doesn't have any laws stating that all products must cost more here than in the US, nor does it have any statutes forbidding discounts.

    Taxes, sure. But the sales price in the US also includes taxes, doesn't it?

    So how is petitioning my elected German officials going to change the fact that HP offers discounts in America and does not offer these same discounts in Europe?

    I understand the reflex to be defensive of HP as much as the next guy who has spent the last few years under the ceaseless barrage of http://www.emotty.com/images/emoticons/1093.png attacks on every imaginable detail including why the top bar is black with rounded edges, but seriously man: HP is heavily currying favors with their US customers by heavily advertising as well as offering discounts and app vouchers. Don't get me wrong: I think that's way cool and they should keep it up.

    But it would be even cooler if they extended those favors to people outside the US as well. Which they're not doing, probably because we Europeans are generally not as, shall we say "vocal" as our American brethren. You just wait until HP ends up giving Europe some sort of discount and you'll hear a huge outcry from America asking why HP has abandoned the homeland.

    I'm talking from my Eurocentric perspective here, of course, but HP is also selling webOS in Asia, which isn't getting any love either. If I'm not mistaken, the discounts and vouchers are *ONLY* valid in the US and not even in neighboring Canada. And once again: I can tell you for a fact that discounts and vouchers are legal everywhere in united Europe and I am willing to bet handy sums of money that they're also legal in Canada and Asia.

    I assure you that it's not "regulations".

    Vielleicht hat Herr Apotheker einfach schon ganz von der alten Welt vergessen der er selbst einstmals entsprang. Never seen someone go native so quickly and thoroughly. But then again, marketing decisions like global pricing schemes and discount strategies are probably made several rungs underneath anyone who gets to see Mr. Apotheker on a daily basis.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/09/2011 at 01:27 PM.
    i_maq and sledge007 like this.
  11. #11  
    Taxation on producers are much higher in Euro zone nations, and consumer protection laws which make returns of products much easier, all add to the cost of products in Europe. And there are several other EU directives relating to "consumer protection," which impart high costs to the manufacturer. The result is that, in any product where the price is fairly inelastic (that is, the change in quantity demanded is relatively small compared to increases in price) such costs are passed on to the consumer.

    One example of such a regulation is the Directive on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (European Union Directive 2002/95/EC) which includes costly regulations on 6 substances. Producers pass on the high cost of such regulations to you, the consumer.
    Last edited by reggieb; 08/09/2011 at 12:41 PM.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Are you saying return of products in Europe is much easier than in the US?
    Have you ever heard of a thing called 'the Sprint Pre launch'?
    That is one policy that I am referring to, and I know it exists in at least one Euro zone country, that forces retailers to accept returns for x number of days with no restocking fee. I can't remember the specifics of THAT law off the top of my head. That means that the average restocking fee is built in to all products. Just because some retailers, even in the US, have generous return policies, some do not. One product launch does not mean that it's always the case.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    On this side of the big water, US consumer rights and suck-up big-mile customer retail treatment are considered legendary. That may just be prejudice of course, but us Europeans are quite serious people, who actually pay taxes. It's true our governments tax everything, and the companies just charge us extra for it, so I might agree with your point, regardless of your arguments. It's a case of you guys not paying enough over there, and the rest of the world stuck forking the bill for it.
    And let's blow that up to socio-macroeconomic proportions
    I am an economist and a policy analyst, and I will refrain from explaining just how insane that argument is. We have different values as societies, but you should at least recognize the cost borne by the policies you have.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    That is one policy that I am referring to, and I know it exists in at least one Euro zone country, that forces retailers to accept returns for x number of days with no restocking fee. I can't remember the specifics of THAT law off the top of my head. That means that the average restocking fee is built in to all products. Just because some retailers, even in the US, have generous return policies, some do not. One product launch does not mean that it's always the case.
    "restocking fees" are a way to make profit from a non-sale, otherwise known as "freeloading" or "socialism" -- that is, if similar tactics are employed by individuals as opposed to corporations.

    Are you saying that the fact that retailers are forbidden in the EU to make profits from returns, potentially selling one and the same unit over and over again and making money off it is the reason why HP isn't granting European (or Asian) customers the same discounts as Americans? And why HP isn't offering European (or Asian) early-adopters an app voucher?

    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    One example of such a regulation is the Directive on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (European Union Directive 2002/95/EC) which includes costly regulations on 6 substances. Producers pass on the high cost of such regulations to you, the consumer.
    Great, dude. So if we don't want to be poisoned, we have to suck up higher prices, and if we want lower prices, we have to suck up being poisoned? What sort of reasoning is that? I feel that as a consumer, I have a basic right not to be killed by fumes coming out of the product I just bought. Call that "socialism" if you will, but there shouldn't be a premium on a product merely because it doesn't consist of poisonous substances.

    Plus, the very same devices produced by compliance with those regulations are being sold for cheaper in the USA. Or do you think they have different production lines and different compounds for every continent?
    Americans reap the benefits of European health legislation by not getting poisoned, AND get the products cheaper than their European friends whose elected officials pushed through the law against poisonous substances and get to pay more money for their troubles?
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/09/2011 at 01:14 PM.
  15. #15  
    Another discussion that has stretched beyond the confines of the TouchPad forums.

    <<Thread moved>>
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Which means you have a hell of a lot more background knowledge and expertise, but in the end doesn't mean there are a lot of economic articles, policies, and actions which are equally insane.
    haha, you are quite right about that.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)

Posting Permissions