Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
  1.    #1  
    Because of the influx of threads being posted about every issue with the TouchPad (from advertising and store sales, to device complaints) and how (for some) those issues have completely ruined their lives, caused their worlds to collapse around them, induced global warming, ruined marriages, and have basically sucked all Hope for world peace from their lives.... we have decided to put them all here for convenience.

The main TouchPad forum is for discussing and getting assistance with your device. For those who wish to vent, this thread is for you!

But, just in case you haven't had the chance to read up take a look at PreCentral's two-part review of the TouchPad:
    http://www.precentral.net/review-hp-touchpad

Other fantastical TouchPad forums for your perusal:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-accessories/

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-tips-information-resources/
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/18/2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Business 101... Discounting cheapens the brand

Retailers who have been indulging in discounting by dropping prices and holding pre-sales before major holidays risk losing customers over the long term. Discounting can cause a business’ customers to become conditioned to sales or discounts. If a change in the economy of your infrastructure were to require a price increase, you will likely lose a large portion of the client base that you worked so diligently to build.
    Why discounting is bad for business

Discount discounting (or why slashing prices can be bad for your business) | Collarways Blog

#1 You **** off your base (price it right from day 1)
    #2 You cheapen the brand perception (Who will buy TP2 on launch day?)
    #3 You build expectation of future discounts and put buyers in a holding pattern.

Not a good move. The early adopter discount was acceptable, but selling on sites like Woot after a month? Desperation. What's next? Home Shopping Channel?
    jenn0591 likes this.
    Its been on QVC since launch day. I'd also like to see your credentials.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Business 101... Discounting cheapens the brand

Why discounting is bad for business

Discount discounting (or why slashing prices can be bad for your business) | Collarways Blog

#3 You build expectation of future discounts and put buyers in a holding pattern.

Not a good move. The early adopter discount was acceptable, but selling on sites like Woot after a month? Desperation. What's next? Home Shopping Channel?
    legit; #3 applies to me: I want a 7" but I will wait at least a month after Opal's release before making a purchase.
    Discounting is the business model for computers.

My credentials: degree in Business Management.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Blah Blah Blah...

I didn't even read the articles simply because we're living in a different era than the old rules, discounting now the norm, buyers are excited about "getting a deal" (the tablet is #2 on Amazon now whereas previously was #13)

Most importantly, HP needs to build a base of users right now so as to build momentum for future users and devs. This is a different than buying a pair of Levis or a Lamborghini.
    JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    say what you want, im pretty happy with my touchpad i paid 299 for..
    dj ozone likes this.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knox07 View Post
    say what you want, im pretty happy with my touchpad i paid 299 for..
    Great Deal for you and I think that may be a price point that works. Now.. for those that paid $500 + 3-4 weeks ago, the bad taste will linger.

HP screwed the pooch on this one, should have gone as the low price leader from day 1, no more than $399 out of the chute and $50 loyalty
    well, its a pros and cons kind of deal. I too paid $299. Would I have jumped at it if I didn't know that others felt the same product was worth $499 about 2 weeks ago? not so sure.

Sales are great because they get to keep MSRP the same and make you psychologically feel like you are getting a deal.
    Did anyone really think the TouchPad would stay at the $499 price point?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Blah Blah Blah...

I didn't even read the articles simply because we're living in a different era than the old rules, discounting now the norm, buyers are excited about "getting a deal" (the tablet is #2 on Amazon now whereas previously was #13)
    The 32 GB was number 13. The 16 GB which is now at #2 was around #38 yesterday.
    So yeah, if a good strategy means not selling tablets, I'd go with the bad strategy anyway....
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Great Deal for you and I think that may be a price point that works. Now.. for those that paid $500 + 3-4 weeks ago, the bad taste will linger.

HP screwed the pooch on this one, should have gone as the low price leader from day 1, no more than $399 out of the chute and $50 loyalty
    Who did you buy from that you could not go back and get a price match for the current sale?

That guy's 299 is actually an anomaly that some people were able to sneak in before Staples killed their coupon today. There are plenty of forums dedicate to people telling those stories about how they talked managers into honoring non-stacking discounts on many different products.

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post

Sales are great because they get to keep MSRP the same and make you psychologically feel like you are getting a deal.
    Marketing psychology isn't the only thing it helps. It can also help if you ever need replacement through a third party warranty repair/replacement service.
    How many of these threads do we really need? Seriously.
    I'll expound though

what base? what webos devices has hp sold before? wait, really none. They dont have a bass to ruin. You have to remember, fan boys are NOT a base. Nor is it good to rely on them as a base for a mass product.

You also build value. This is the same thing as a coupon. Do coupons drive sales? Yes. Do "rebates" on vehicles drive sales? Yes. If you build the perception something is $600 and then you let someone have it for $399 or $499...you build value. What theyve done is priced the touchpad EQUAL with the ipad and then slash its price. This will also make the ipad seem overpriced to a lot of consumers. This building of value will increase sales.

No you dont. Sure, you have a small consumer base that thinks this, but they ALWAYS think this. For most, discount creates a "man, am I gonna be stupid if I pass this up and it goes back up in price later?"
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    I agree with 65fastback.

I needed a laptop last year, waited until Christmas time when Dell and the others go nutz, and got a great deal in early-to-mid January.

Needed laptops for the kids, waited until Dell had decent deals on the XPS, on top of the free Xboxes.

If they thought I was going to pay $1789 for an XPS15, instead of the $1100 I paid, they're smoking some REALLY good stuff, and by golly, they had better start sharing.

This is the model that most vendors go by, except places like FruitCo, who are privileged to have legions of sheep, and the morons who think it's "cool" to have truly inferior devices.

'nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    I agree with 65fastback.

I needed a laptop last year, waited until Christmas time when Dell and the others go nutz, and got a great deal in early-to-mid January.

Needed laptops for the kids, waited until Dell had decent deals on the XPS, on top of the free Xboxes.

If they thought I was going to pay $1789 for an XPS15, instead of the $1100 I paid, they're smoking some REALLY good stuff, and by golly, they had better start sharing.

This is the model that most vendors go by, except places like FruitCo, who are privileged to have legions of sheep, and the morons who think it's "cool" to have truly inferior devices.

'nuff said.
    You bought your kid an $1100 laptop? Geesh, money must grow on trees at your house.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    You bought your kid an $1100 laptop? Geesh, money must grow on trees at your house.
    ever heard of high school or college graduates?
    @agentmock

Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Buying an $1100 laptop for a college student has you taken aback?

I guess you haven't read those articles about some parents purchasing iPads for their 3 year olds. Now THAT means they have a money tree in their house...
    Yur giving HP (the #2 computer makers and seller)advice on bad strategy? This is the HP strategy that made them #1.It's not a sign of bad sells.It's just what HP does.They sell their products at a discounted price after releasing it.You know you can actually make a profit by doing this?! Some companies take a loss in profit so later on they can gain more profit and also gain momentum.Sony did this with the PS3 and now they sell like hot cakes and are def making a profit.It's a great strategy. People complained about the TouchPad costing too much and if it were cheaper they would buy it.So HP is doing that and people are buying it.If you don't believe just look at amazons Best selling list of tablets and computers in which the 16gb is #2 and the 32gb is #7 so they are selling well. O and the IPad isn't #1 by the way. Hows that for a strategy?! But like all of us true webos lovers say.No matter what you will always find something to complain about.
    The problem is this strategy of clearing out TouchPad stock at rock bottom prices is directly at odds with what Leo has been saying about not tolerating unprofitable ventures at HP. It kinda makes you wonder how this affects the second generation webOS tablet.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast