Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree66Likes
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    The discount worked. I'm a prime example. I was going to wait until Christmas and hope the price dropped. When I saw the woot offer, even my wife said we better get it now. I didn't know about the Staples offer at the time or even the price matching some of you were getting at Office Depot. But I'm ok with it. I still got a good deal. Bought the 16g TP from woot (tax-free) and bought a case from Best Buy.

I don't feel like the TP is any less of a tablet because HP discounted the price for a weekend. I'm not going to be telling my friends how much I paid for it. I'll show it off and hope they go purchase one for what ever the price is at the time.
    (High retail price - good rebate = low customer price) is a GOOD thing because people see the high retail price, think "whoa, awesome but too expensive". Then they see the discount and think "whoa AWESOME, a discount! SAVINGS! I'll get this one!"

(low retail price - no rebate = low customer price) is a BAD thing because people see the low retail price and think "meh, it's cheaper than the competition so it must be worse. BUT LOOK! The other tablet is normally way more expensive but thanks to this awesome discount it's as cheap as this one! SAVINGS! I'll get the other one!"

But yeah, HP is really a stupid company with stupid economists and stupid engineers, and it's a true miracle how they could have spent decades on the very top of the computer industry if any unknown anonymous jobless Internet poster living in their parent's basement can come up with better devices and better sales strategies, right?

I always curse at football players. I can play MUCH better than that no-good nincompoop of Lionel Messi. I just never play football because I'm too lazy and I don't like leaving my house and because I'm way too overweight for it. But if I *DID* play, yeah, I'd be WAY better. Score ten goals a match or so.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

But yeah, HP is really a stupid company with stupid economists and stupid engineers, and it's a true miracle how they could have spent decades on the very top of the computer industry if any unknown anonymous jobless Internet poster living in their parent's basement can come up with better devices and better sales strategies, right?
    Right
    :-)

Spot on. Part of the reason why they moved Dewitt to Palm unit.
    So XBOX360 is a piece of junk because last I checked MS was giving those things away for free.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I think it is a very good strategy if they could sell say a million total in a month time.

More than anything HP needs to grab some market share.

The mind share is there, but its limited to members of tech blogs. With this discount the device reaches mainstream customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    So XBOX360 is a piece of junk because last I checked MS was giving those things away for free.
    That would be only for student purchases $699 and up. They're not just throwing them out the back of trucks...
    They're trying to push, and get more Winders PC/Laptops out there.
    the 16GB TP is currently the #2 best selling tablet on amazon. so i'd say discounting the TP is turning out to be a pretty good idea. it's not 'number one plus' but its a start.

Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Computer Tablets
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    They're not just throwing them out the back of trucks...
    They're trying to push, and get more Winders PC/Laptops out there.
    Discounts will create purchases. In my opinion, the $499 was always menat to be the list price from which HP discounts. Check out all of their other PC offerings, almost all of them come with instant rebates or free add-ons. This is just par for HP.
    GodShapedHole likes this.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Who's Business Degree wins?

Apparently the problem isn't limited to Best Buy -- Fry's, Wal-Mart, and other chains are also reporting terrible sales, and HP's quick price cuts may have had the exact wrong effect, convincing consumers to wait to see if the price drops more.
    HP's TouchPad Is Officially A Bomb: Best Buy Wants HP To Take Them Back

Like I said... cheapens the brand and has people looking for further discounts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    And if you asked the very people who spent decades founding HP --- they were against the Compaq acquisition.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I guess you were right afterall

HP had this plan cooking for weeks left their users dead in the water.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456