Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
    woot has their lineup planned out months in advance. This wasn't a last minute thing.
    bluenote and falconrap like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Facts Of Life 101 #1 : Want something bad, you end up paying a lot more.
    Facts Of Life 101 #2 : You don't want to pay too much, you wait.
    Facts Of Life 101 #3 : You do either one, and you whine afterwards, you're a loser.
    Facts Of Life 101 #4 : You don't do either one, and still you whine: get an effing life.
    I absolutely knew I was paying max for my Touchpad the day it appeared in my Best Buy store. No, I'm not filthy-rich.

I will not whine, being an early-adopter was actually worth $200 to me. Love my Touchpad.

Oh, and your post made me grin. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    woot has their lineup planned out months in advance. This wasn't a last minute thing.
    thats something I never heard of, a link may be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Ahem... #1 in both Smartphones & Tablets

About to pass HP in laptop sales by Q1 2012

And likely to become the most valuable company in the world within a couple of quarters
    Just curious, how did this turn into an Apple vs. HP debate? They are two very different companies who happen to converge in the consumer tablet and laptop market. I'd gladly take the profits from either of them.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    so youve proven over-valued stocks....next?

another note: 1 in the chart is #1 in something....the other on that chart is not #1 in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Because you stated:

You made the association that Apple making it right in a single instance of a permanent price change (the original iPhone release) gave them a huge "reward" reflected in the 5 year comparison you posted.

It's laughable. Apple would be in the same position whether they'd given a credit back or not.

Furthermore, it's not even remotely comparable to what HP is doing now. You, yourself, admit Apple rarely does discounting but this is entirely commonplace for HP and its retail partners.
    And to that I said.. look how HP has been flat for 5 years. They have a dinosaur business model and it's reflected in their stock price and market cap.

That's why Apple has over $75 Billion of cash and HPQ is has a market cap of less than $68B.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    yeah, there are downsides.

But hp needs sales. Pure and simple, bad sales is always worse than whatever downside you can bring up.

What happened in the past can not be changed. I would love to see it was priced properly from day 1, but its day 36, its too late for day 1.
    Simple at that...
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    You bought your kid an $1100 laptop? Geesh, money must grow on trees at your house.
    If your kid has a 3.85GPA, and gets a scholarship to basically anywhere he wants to go to college, uh, yeah, you hook the boy up.

Technically, I paid $850, he paid the other $300 for the upgrades over what I was willing to pay.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    If something is not selling what do you do? The touchpad is already off of amazon bestselling list. The device is missing lots of features and customers are complaining about how slow it is. If Hp wants it to succeed they need to fix these things because in comparison other products are more attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The problem is this strategy of clearing out TouchPad stock at rock bottom prices is directly at odds with what Leo has been saying about not tolerating unprofitable ventures at HP. It kinda makes you wonder how this affects the second generation webOS tablet.
    And this makes webOS unprofitable over the next 5 years how, exactly?

Please show your work.
    OP, first of all this isn't exactly ipad2 (specs). we all know this is like the ipad1 so the pricing has to be in line with that. second you can't price it the same as ipad, have to make it more appealing by lowering the price point.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    And this makes webOS unprofitable over the next 5 years how, exactly?

Please show your work.
    I don't think HP CEO was talking about 5 years plan.

But I support this price drop, albeit various downsides.
    Here's a 5yr chart for you... Apple pretty much never discounts and when they do, they make things right with their users. For that, they have been rewarded in spades.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71627/Shared/Who_Wins.png
    Um.. if you share charts, you should at least share ones that label x and y axes. For all I know, this is a chart of smugness..

Actually..
    And to that I said.. look how HP has been flat for 5 years. They have a dinosaur business model and it's reflected in their stock price and market cap.

That's why Apple has over $75 Billion of cash and HPQ is has a market cap of less than $68B.
    Again, what is the point. Look at the complete product portfolios of both companies as well as the longevity of both. Other than this overlap, Apple is primarily a consumer electronics company and HP is a large enterprise tech company. They make most of their coin in the Enterprise realm.

Apple is a good company and has done well. HP has also been successful in a much more mature sector. Comparing market caps is meaningless.
    blinktreo likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    If your kid has a 3.85GPA, and gets a scholarship to basically anywhere he wants to go to college, uh, yeah, you hook the boy up.

Technically, I paid $850, he paid the other $300 for the upgrades over what I was willing to pay.
    Yeah, I think this may be a cheap shot by laoh, but their point is taken.

My son just graduated with a Bachelor's. We got him a pretty inexpensive Dell laptop, which he rarely used for anything but email and word-processing docs. The school provided the beefy workstations onsite. We payed $400 for a used laptop.

But by god, if you have the means, get your kid an awesome computer.

(btw, 3.85 will get you those bait-and-switch scholarships for sure, but for the big schools or Ivy League, they won't get in, and if they do they'll find that their scholarship mysteriously disappears in their sophomore year. Just sayin')
    the only thing we can hope for now is that we got more users and hopes more developers show up quickly to fill the apps.

cross fingers. cross legs.

btw, anyone can show me how to cross my toes?
    I don't think HP CEO was talking about 5 years plan.

But I support this price drop, albeit various downsides.
    Well, Leo said he would not sanction the release of any profit-losers, which was your original point. Profit-losers over what time period? HP spent a ton of money on early advertising with Manny, sent their folks to conferences, spent a buttload of money actually getting the boxes manufactured, set up kiosks in stores.

This costs money, which will not produce a profit if done before the product even hits the shelves.

So think a little bit ahead - they pour these boxes into stores, some people buy them, they mount a more aggressive ad campaign, make more boxes.. week 2: Still no profit!! Leo Lies!

All I'm saying is that the CEO of a huge computer company saying that their new venture will turn a profit doesn't mean that it happens immediately. As someone has already mentioned in this thread, big battleships turn slowly.

I think webOS is a winner for HP over the long haul.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I think webOS is a winner for HP over the long haul.
    webOS is a nice asset for any company, but I am afraid HP is not capable of developing and marketing it. Both smartphone and tablet are highly visible, highly competitive market, HP seems lost about how to handle these things.

I would say licensing it. It will likely benefit users, webOS community, HP and other companies.
    Ahem... #1 in both Smartphones & Tablets

About to pass HP in laptop sales by Q1 2012

And likely to become the most valuable company in the world within a couple of quarters
    I forget Im not talking to someone business savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by lakefire View Post
    Apple's stock has been on a tear, I challenge you to find any company with similar results to them for the past 5 years. Hell comparing Google to Apple makes Google look like a POS company.
    took me a whole 2 seconds

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...22/netflix.png
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)

What this shows me is that there are a bunch of dumb a**** out there giving Apple a market cap of $346B on just around $64B per year of revenue versus giving HP a market cap of $68B with revenues of $126B. Tells me there are some seriously stupid people who WAY over value Apple and WAY undervalue HP, the much larger company raking in twice as much revenue. HP's model is more akin to the Walmart volume of doing it on modest margins versus the Apple screw you over with high gross profits model. The ONLY reason Apple can do this well with that model is because they have a very, very, very loyal following of people who will always buy their latest product, even when what they have still works great. Apple's core buyers also tend to have more pocket money.

Your whole premise basically wrong. HP has been using this model for decades and is one of the largest companies on the planet.
    webOS is a nice asset for any company, but I am afraid HP is not capable of developing and marketing it. Both smartphone and tablet are highly visible, highly competitive market, HP seems lost about how to handle these things.

I would say licensing it. It will likely benefit users, webOS community, HP and other companies.
    I've heard this sentiment before - do you have any data to back it up?

HP is not capable.. why? What have they failed at? They seem to be doing quite well..

So much of the chat on these forums revolves around consumers expecting they know what huge manufacturers should do. Precious little input from folks who actually understand the industry, instead of playing armchair-quarterbacks.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast