Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
    theres a lot of people on here that really need to stare at this chart a long while

http://www.writeawriting.com/wp-cont...ycle-curve.png
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    @nappy,

Too early for HP to bail because they needed to discount their first tablet offering. If they are ready to quit one month in... I'd be shocked... and they would be stupid.

Did anyone think they would take the world by storm in just a few weeks? And did any think there would no be discounts? Much as we all like to rag on HP, if we all knew these things, don't you think they did too?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The problem is this strategy of clearing out TouchPad stock at rock bottom prices is directly at odds with what Leo has been saying about not tolerating unprofitable ventures at HP. It kinda makes you wonder how this affects the second generation webOS tablet.
    You've got a very short sighted view of this. A short term, or even a varied but revolving set of different types of sales, does not mean it's an unprofitable venture overall.

If these steep discounts inspire sales and good word of mouth then it could very well be a GREAT move for the longterm. Anything to grow the installed base right, thereby making it more attractive for developers and mainstream buyers alike, is all good.

I'd look much more favorably towards the likelihood of a 2gen TP when HP is aggressively selling the first one than I would if they just left the device at the normal price - dying on store shelves.

The iPad has a 90% hold on the tablet market right now, even with other makers stuffing the channel. Outside of the iPad, the Touchpad seems to be the only one that has a reach at penetrating the mainstream at this moment in time.
    bluenote and 11B1P like this.
    Hey, no argument here. I think HP needs to get as many devices into people's hands as possible. I just get the feeling Leo has a more pragmatic view of things based on that leaked memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    What's next? Home Shopping Channel?
    Professor of Business 101, it's been sold on QVC since day 1. What's next? Another thread about how discounting for 3 days is bad?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Professor of Business 101, it's been sold on QVC since day 1. What's next? Another thread about how discounting for 3 days is bad?
    Seriously!

... and as for "cheapening the brand"... HP isn't exactly a luxury outfit. They're sure as heck no Apple, not even a Sony. They have some great products but they, also, stuff the channels and discount deeply on a lot of their lines.
    you know if they were going to bail, they would of left rubi in charge, not put one of their shinning stars in charge of it.

btw guys/gals the touchpad will be back to their original price on monday.

btw#2 the iphone dropped $200 after a couple of month, it didnt hurt them.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Hey, no argument here. I think HP needs to get as many devices into people's hands as possible. I just get the feeling Leo has a more pragmatic view of things based on that leaked memo.
    Pragmatism is not at odds with this type of market strategy, especially since it's the strategy HP employs with their other products.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    theres a lot of people on here that really need to stare at this chart a long while

http://www.writeawriting.com/wp-cont...ycle-curve.png
    Here's a 5yr chart for you... Apple pretty much never discounts and when they do, they make things right with their users. For that, they have been rewarded in spades.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71627/Shared/Who_Wins.png
    Here's a 5yr chart for you... Apple pretty much never discounts and when they do, they make things right with their users. For that, they have been rewarded in spades.
    Please show 5 examples over the last 5 years where Apple has "made it right" with customers based on temporary sales/discounts.

I know you'll want to reach for the iPhone $200 price drop as an example but that wasn't a sale/discount. It was an actual, permanent price drop immediately after the phone's release.

I adore most Apple products but they are notorious for holding the line on retail prices. They almost never discount nor do they let their resellers do it. In fact, they charge the full price for items right up until the day they are replaced.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Please show 5 examples over the last 5 years where Apple has "made it right" with customers based on temporary sales/discounts.

I know you'll want to reach for the iPhone $200 price drop as an example but that wasn't a sale/discount. It was an actual, permanent price drop immediately after the phone's release.

I adore most Apple products but they are notorious for holding the line on retail prices. They almost never discount nor do they let their resellers do it. In fact, they charge the full price for items right up until the day they are replaced.
    And their stockholders have been rewarded
    And their stockholders have been rewarded
    Can't provide an answer, aye?

Their position has everything to do with the products themselves and virtually nothing to do with how they handle discounts in relation to prior purchases.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Can't provide an answer, aye?

Their position has everything to do with the products themselves and virtually nothing to do with how they handle discounts in relation to prior purchases.
    Why would I need an "answer"... they rarely discount and when they dropped the price in an "out of normal" date range, they made good by their base.

Where's the debate?

Discounting 20-40% within 35 days of a new product release comes off as desperate to move units.

It hasn't been good news up to this point, but if they move a few units, it may make things appear better than they really are
    I guess money really is the only thing that drives people. All those things that Apple does that tries to place blame on their users instead of where it actually belongs is fine since it doesn't cost their base money, just their pride.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71627/Shared/Who_Wins.png
    so youve proven over-valued stocks....next?

another note: 1 in the chart is #1 in something....the other on that chart is not #1 in anything.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    so youve proven over-valued stocks....next?

another note: 1 in the chart is #1 in something....the other on that chart is not #1 in anything.
    Ahem... #1 in both Smartphones & Tablets

About to pass HP in laptop sales by Q1 2012

And likely to become the most valuable company in the world within a couple of quarters
    Apple's stock has been on a tear, I challenge you to find any company with similar results to them for the past 5 years. Hell comparing Google to Apple makes Google look like a POS company.
    Why would I need an "answer"... they rarely discount and when they dropped the price in an "out of normal" date range, they made good by their base.

Where's the debate?

Because you stated:

Apple pretty much never discounts and when they do, they make things right with their users. For that, they have been rewarded in spades.
    You made the association that Apple making it right in a single instance of a permanent price change (the original iPhone release) gave them a huge "reward" reflected in the 5 year comparison you posted.

It's laughable. Apple would be in the same position whether they'd given a credit back or not.

Furthermore, it's not even remotely comparable to what HP is doing now. You, yourself, admit Apple rarely does discounting but this is entirely commonplace for HP and its retail partners.
    I'm thinking this is a more pragmatic strategy. And I suspect it was part of the plan all along. HP is not a company known for 'turning on a dime'. So the idea of a panic-stricken boardroom with execs yelling "Cut the price" just 4 weeks in is highly unlikely.

You are right, they need to get them out there, even if at a loss in the first phase. Won't pretend it:s the best tablet out there, but it is certianly more than adequate... but nobody will ever know that if they sit on the shelves of a stockroom.
    GuyFromNam likes this.
    yeah, there are downsides.

But hp needs sales. Pure and simple, bad sales is always worse than whatever downside you can bring up.

What happened in the past can not be changed. I would love to see it was priced properly from day 1, but its day 36, its too late for day 1.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast