Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Not good at all

Called the Touchpad a "huge failure" (his actual words) and pointed out the Woot deal as a sign that the Touchpad is a "sales flop" and they are desperate to move them. (sic)

When the host asked him why the iPad isn't discounted, Leo pointed out that "they don't have to, they outsell all the others 24-1"

Not good PRPRPR $for$ $HP$ $on$ $this$ $one$.

Before anyone says "Nobody listens to KFI radio", they have huge ratings in LA/Orange County, more market share than all talk shows combined in that market.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    When the host asked him why the iPad isn't discounted, Leo pointed out that "they don't have to, they outsell all the others 24-1"
    He's right on the money with that point. The others? I'm not entirely convinced. But I do worry about what all these discounts and instant rebates mean for the sales numbers of the TouchPad.
    May be true.. or may not be true. You dont know as of now. But I know for sure that these discounts attract a lot of.. i mean a lot of customers who are price hunters. That means userbase is going to increase.. that means market share increases.. that means more developers take interest, and that causes the ripple effect. couple of years down the road, people including talk show hosts and other critics lookback and say, in hind sight, HP did well. Isn't that what everyone wants here? I would say, leave marketing and sales tactics to pundits, and lets just enjoy the device.
    I still dont have a TP. i was waiting for 3g/4g version. but this staples+HP deal is so irresistible, i am no longer willing to wait and go for imediate gratification this weekend
    PS: I know they laughed at Dell when the guy started in his basement. I know they laughed at Roger bannister but for some strange reason i dont hear a lot from those same guys anymore. I say give HP a chance and see what they are upto. My less than $0.01 here.
    Leo is a big flop too the moment they picked him to run HP. still not sure how.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I am considering purchasing a tablet and after owing a palm pre that barely got any support I find it hard to chose another Webos device even with the discounts . For one I find the device to be too slow and laggy and the app selection isn't there and probably will never get there. Quickoffice also runs like a beta app. Did they really think the device would be a success?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Leo is a big flop too the moment they picked him to run HP. still not sure how.
    You do know this is not the Leo that runs HP right? Just checking.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Leo is wrong just as often he's right. Listen to TwiT and you'll hear as much. If HP can come out and report strong sales in their earnings call then they can shut people up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I am considering purchasing a tablet and after owing a palm pre that barely got any support I find it hard to chose another Webos device even with the discounts . For one I find the device to be too slow and laggy and the app selection isn't there and probably will never get there. Quickoffice also runs like a beta app. Did they really think the device would be a success?
    Yeah, Palm abandoning the Pre after a year and two months was a pretty strong kick in the teeth for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Leo is wrong just as often he's right. Listen to TwiT and you'll hear as much. If HP can come out and report strong sales in their earnings call then they can shut people up.
    Yeah from what I have found on Laporte, he is a Mac/Apple guy since his first computer.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    oh, thanks. i was wondering if this was true cause why would a ceo say that especially close to earnings report. (but still think CEO Leo was terrible choice )

then forget laporte if he's not with hp... he doesnt have numbers to show his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You do know this is not the Leo that runs HP right? Just checking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    If HP can come out and report strong sales in their earnings call then they can shut people up.
    For those interested, next earnings call is on Aug/18. HP to Present Live Audio Webcast of Third Quarter Earnings Conference Call.
    But again, this is for the quarter that ended on Jul/31. So you will get to hear the first month sales numbers of touchPad (if they mention)
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Yeah, Palm abandoning the Pre after a year and two months was a pretty strong kick in the teeth for me.
    I remember receiving the last update 6 months after launch and it didnt bring much. Just video recording while they left all the bugs like tmc with nothing open, alarm stops working and horrible performance.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    For those interested, next earnings call is on Aug/18. HP to Present Live Audio Webcast of Third Quarter Earnings Conference Call.
    But again, this is for the quarter that ended on Jul/31. So you will get to hear the first month sales numbers of touchPad (if they mention)
    I'm sure they'll be asked. I also expect TouchPad sales to take off (if they do) in Q4 when their corporate sales teams really start deploying. Enterprise doesn't move as quickly as consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I remember receiving the last update 6 months after launch and it didnt bring much. Just video recording while they left all the bugs like tmc with nothing open, alarm stops working and horrible performance.
    Incorrect. 1.4.5 was more than a year after launch... and then there was that recent tiny 1.4.5.1 on VZW. Then there was also O2 Germany that actually approved the 2.x Dr for their Plus devices. HP didn't stop supporting all devices 6 months after launch, thanks for playing though.

webOS updates, a look back | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Please can we kill a lil of the massive amount on factless rhetoric around here. There is a large faction of users on this site that are fine with pulling things from their (well you know where) and posting it as truth/fact.
    LordSecksie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Yeah from what I have found on Laporte, he is a Mac/Apple guy since his first computer.
    He actually prefers Android (Droid X) over iOS. He's also said lately that he hasn't touched his iPad in months. So he's not biased toward Apple. I'm sort of surprised to hear this because he has always been a fan of WebOS. If you listen to TWiT everytime WebOS is mentioned, its usually in a favorable light. I don't think anybody thinks WebOS is a failure, but it just seems that no one can release it on a compelling enough device without disclaimers (wait for more apps, wait for the update, there's a patch for that). HP needs to learn to cover up shortcomings like Apple, where despite its flaws you think its the greatest thing since Beam and Coke in a can.
    letstalk likes this.
    Beam and Coke in a can was NEVER a good thing!!!

Sorry maybe what I should have said is Laporte started out as a big Mac/Apple guy.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    People said that Windows Mobile 7 was going to fail. They said there was no way Microsoft could ever catch up, the apps were lacking, etc. Everything they are saying about the TouchPad. They Gartner Group (and others) starting saying WM7 will make a significant impact on the mobile market in the next year or two. Now Microsoft is coming out with a huge update to the phone, earlier than they said.

People like Leo trash any device that isn't the iPad. Everyone wants to compare every tablet to the iPad. That used to be how it was with phones. Everything was compared to the iPhone, until Android started to dominate.

I just picked up the TouchPad last night and so far so good. I'm an Android fan, I have a Droid X2 and the Asus eeePad Transformer. The TouchPad doesn't even compare to the Asus. The TouchPad has better build quality, nicer looking, and the OS works. Android Honeycomb is so buggy it's almost unusable at times.

Anyway, we'll see what people are saying in 3-6 months.
    etx likes this.
    Why all the negative Nancy's? I happen to like my Touchpad very much and I have had a much improved experience since the update. And price drops and rebates are very valuable sales tools to peak interest or spur sales.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    Not good at all

Called the Touchpad a "huge failure" (his actual words) and pointed out the Woot deal as a sign that the Touchpad is a "sales flop" and they are desperate to move them. (sic)

Not good PRPRPR $for$ $HP$ $on$ $this$ $one$.

Before anyone says "Nobody listens to KFI radio", they have huge ratings in LA/Orange County, more market share than all talk shows combined in that market.
    That is quite unfortunate. Mostly because people listen to this hack. Leo Laporte is barely a serviceable host and his knowledge is hardly noteworthy.
    IMO he's a "tech-guy" for the novice. He's a radio broadcaster, first and foremost, with a modicum of technical aptitude.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I used to follow his Tech Guy podcast; however, I'm not sure I ever heard the kinds words about webOS. I never felt like he gave the Pre much air time or much real testing. He's a big Droid guy now. It's unfortunate that his podcast does have such a huge following. I had to quit listening as he was so biased against anything Palm/HP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast