Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFlyer View Post
    Yes, but that's just the point. You had to purchase five days before the $100 instant rebate was announced. The instant rebate is a time of purchase thing, which presumably could not be applied to your purchase of a TouchPad five days earlier.
    Of course! These types of deals are usually not "stackable". So, if one had already purchased, they could take the $50, and keep using their device, or return it, wait a few days, and buy cheaper.

If they hadn't purchased, they could buy now and get a few more day's use, or wait a couple weeks, and get it cheaper.

My daughters always wait. They know if they wait long enough, one of them will likely get it free (whatever gadget the current "it" is)
    Didn't read the whole thread so don't know if it's been mentioned yet...

But the word is "gypped" not "jipt" and refers to being conned or ripped off by a gypsy, and is therefore derogatory of gypsies.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    sledge007 and clevin like this.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Just as an aside, interesting to me how a lot of american consumers put a lot of stock in company loyalty. I don't think I have seen that emphasis here in the UK, people expect companies to honour their legal obligations but that's it.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread so don't know if it's been mentioned yet...

But the word is "gypped" not "jipt" and refers to being conned or ripped off by a gypsy, and is therefore derogatory of gypsies.

funny. Read post 120
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    funny. Read post 120
    You were close, but it is indeed "gypped," as it is the past tense of the verb "gyp," which means to cheat or to swindle.

Still, it is a derogatory term. It amazes me that this forum is so uptight that I cannot say a three-letter word you can hear on broadcast TV, yet referring to gypsies as swindlers is OK.

Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

My daughters always wait. They know if they wait long enough, one of them will likely get it free (whatever gadget the current "it" is)
    guessing you mean free from dad when he's done? =D

BTW anyone complaining about the ability of webOS to copy/paste/etc I chopped that quote down using select all and the sliders. No physical KB. Sorry to go OT but I have seen some complaints about these abilities and I am now certain it is user error. Those comfortable with webOS and normal doc editing shouldn't be having a problem with the selection of text on the TP.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    As i'm sure all people here probably know, we all got burned by HP/Palm on multiple occasions. Whether it was Flash or webos2.0 we bit the bullet several times. A lot of people left the community of February 9th. They wont ever come back. I personally stayed and many did as well. Then When the Touchpad was going to be released HP announced its grand thank you to its loyal fan base would be a $50 mail in rebate. Not really spectacular... and I think that was an insulting gesture to many. That that was all we were worth to them. But water under the bridge.

And now it is August and the touchpad is marked down everywhere $100. Double what we as loyal fans were given.. and hell you can walk into a staples and get the same model for $200 off!!!! That should have been our make it right. 33% off. Now its just going to everyone BUT the people who trust and love the platform. I am just feeling, <<mod deleted>> and in the worst way. Is anyone else feeling like HP took advantage of us and got our "fan boy tax" and now are rubbing it in our face?

I talked with HP last nite and they said that they are planning on giving us 50$ of app store credit to compensate. Well that does make it even with the price drop but now it is no difference to the regular price. We didnt get a sacrifice from HP or thanking us or anything. This is what we get for having our products broken and years behind, some would say foolishly sticking to a failing platform, and then basically told that we arent worth anything to them. I cant think of any way HP could <<mod delete>> our community more.. we fight for them and they make us look worse then those iSheep...

Thats my rant and i want to hear the rest of the community's opinion. Thanks.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/06/2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: language
    WebOS has the worst, most whiney fan base ever. Because we bought something early we feel entitled to special gifts and presents. Get over yourself. You bought a product, they dropped the price. Get over it. The fact that they gave you a 50 dollar rebate in the first place should make you happy.
    Personally I was planning for this possibility. That's why I purchased from an outlet that allows a nice range for price matching after the sale. So I get the best of both deals.

And I agree with Siah, stop whining.
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by starwarsyoda View Post
    As i'm sure all people here probably know, we all got burned by HP/Palm on multiple occasions. Whether it was Flash or webos2.0 we bit the bullet several times. A lot of people left the community of February 9th. They wont ever come back. I personally stayed and many did as well. Then When the Touchpad was going to be released HP announced its grand thank you to its loyal fan base would be a $50 mail in rebate. Not really spectacular... and I think that was an insulting gesture to many. That that was all we were worth to them. But water under the bridge.

And now it is August and the touchpad is marked down everywhere $100. Double what we as loyal fans were given.. and hell you can walk into a staples and get the same model for $200 off!!!! That should have been our make it right. 33% off. Now its just going to everyone BUT the people who trust and love the platform. I am just feeling, F***ed and in the worst way. Is anyone else feeling like HP took advantage of us and got our "fan boy tax" and now are rubbing it in our face?

I talked with HP last nite and they said that they are planning on giving us 50$ of app store credit to compensate. Well that does make it even with the price drop but now it is no difference to the regular price. We didnt get a sacrifice from HP or thanking us or anything. This is what we get for having our products broken and years behind, some would say foolishly sticking to a failing platform, and then basically told that we arent worth anything to them. I cant think of any way HP could F*** over our community more.. we fight for them and they make us look worse then those iSheep...

Thats my rant and i want to hear the rest of the community's opinion. Thanks.
    This is what happens when you're an early adopter of a new device or platform.

I personally don't feel slighted at all. You need to take the good with the bad. I purchased both the pre- and TP on launch day knowing that the price was going to go down and there would be better improvements i might not be privy to. The advantage I had was being one of the first to own one.

Also HP dosent owe me anything. I am the one who has the final say on what device I am going to purchase. People just need to take the faith and promises from a company out of the equation at purchase time. I bought my webOS devices based on the pure user experience of the operating system and not company promises of "making it right" I do understand your frustrations though.
    all I know is if the $50 app store credit happens, that's good news for me and devs. Win win in my book and I don't expect it but I will happily take it. Hope that wasn't bs cuz I know a few apps coming out soon I want to buy.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    LOOKS LIKE IT'S GOOD!

HP makes it right again, even though, again, they didn't need to whatsoever.

Thanks HP for being AWESOME.
    well, this news should remove any remaining purpose to this thread:

The Official HP Palm Blog: 100 more reasons to love the HP TouchPad
  15.    #135  
    you wouldn't get this from a lot of companies so a big thanks to HP!

as a side note I was at two stores today and helped showcase the great features of the touchpad to a few potential buyers and there was a lot of interest in the device and lots of traffic at the displays so looks like the promos are working. That makes me happy too.and the other best part of this is that the sales people at both stores were knowledgeable and excited for the product. They also said it was the #2 selling tablet behind the iPad. Good news for HP, the touchpad and the webOS community.
    to anyone who is upset about buying one on launch day, I hope you never buy a brand new car. You will really be upset after you drive it off the lot, and even more upset when they start to discount them to clear out inventory. I've have my touchpad for a month now, I don't care if I didn't get 200 off, I love it. I'm glad HP is discounting them, I want more people to buy them. Anyone who wouldn't spend the extra 50 dollars over a nook color to get a 16gb would have to be crazy! Also three of my friends got touchpads this weekend, which I think is awesome!
    Jipt, jipped, gyp'ed, or whatever, regardless of the wording and semantics, I do understand the early adopters' pain and frustration and find the feelings to be valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Jipt, jipped, gyp'ed, or whatever, regardless of the wording and semantics, I do understand the early adopters' pain and frustration and find the feelings to be valid.
    Except HP is offering a $50 app catalog credit to those "early" adopters now.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Wow i am planning to buy it.
    After half of the people were crying that the TouchPad is too expensive (i wanna get it but too expensive), and the other half was laughing that the TouchPad is too expensive (webOS sucks and it should be cheaper because it sucks), HP and some retailers lowered their prices... and now half of the people are crying that it's cheaper (i bought it expensive on Day1 and want everybody else in the future to pay the same price), and the other half is laughing that it's cheaper (lol high-end amirite).

Meanwhile, getting burned with prices is what early adopters get for their troubles. I bought my Pre on the German Launch day, and two months later, I could've gotten the same Pre for €150 cheaper, or a Pre+ for the same amount I paid for my Pre. Talk to original iPhone adopters and they'll sing a similar tune about how they felt when the 3G was released, but since they're behind Apple and not webOS, they'll be sure to add "but I got the 3G because I love Apple products and it was a brilliant device and you can't stop progress and there's always eBay." (while the webOS tune is, of course, "I paid more than I would've paid months later so I want HP to make things right or I'll jump ship"... a bit of hyperbole there, but you get my drift)

And there's even some sadness around that HP is going to spec-bump the TouchPad soon. If anybody else bumps their specs, people say "leave it to HP to never refresh their line-up".

The fact is that everybody except Apple, who can sell a Steve Jobs turd with sweetcorn for $780 because it is THE best turd available and people will stand in line for a week, lowers their prices after a while. If anything, we should be happy about this as it means more devices being sold more easily... something that's great because the TouchPad is Gen1 hardware meant to raise awareness and mindshare more than anything else. I think it's awesome user support of HP to offer early adopters an app voucher. You wouldn't see any of that from Apple, for instance.

I, for one, am gonna see how much the TouchPad is gonna cost this christmas when there's a choice between two options of TouchPad (1,2GHz and 1,5GHz 4G) and, possibly, the same options of TouchPad7.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast